"ntoskrnl.exe" causing constant blue screens on new laptop.

UrbanM

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
I recently got a new laptop (July 29th) and it's been working fine up until last Sunday (August 30th) when I started to get blue screens while gaming. I could play for about 15 minutes then I would get hit with another blue screen. I was able to just let my computer rest for a while then I could game fine, and that was how I dealt with it for the first few days.

Now, I can play for about 15 minutes until I get the first blue screen, then play for about 2-5 minutes before getting subsequent blue screens. Sometimes it crashes even when I'm not gaming after I get a blue screen. While I was writing this topic I got a blue screen. It happens 10+ times a day. Occasionally it gets in loops where it tries to startup and then crashes while doing so. I tried to downgrade from Windows 10 back to Windows 8.1 but it still didn't work.

Yesterday, I installed BlueScreenView and found out it was an executable called "ntoskrnl.exe" causing this issue. I'm not particularly tech-savvy, and I'm not sure what this means.

Could anyone tell me if it is a hardware or software/driver issue? Also, how can I check that my drivers are up to date all at once?

Note: I am currently living in Shanghai and won't be back in the US until Christmas, so I can't really go to a tech repair shop. I also don't have any discs or flash drives lying around so I can't run memtest86. Also, I'm not getting one specific error, I am getting different error messages every time.

My Specs:

Laptop: MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-606 w/ GTX 970m
Processor: Intel i7-5700HQ CPU 2.70 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970m
OS: Windows 10/Windows 8.1 64-bit (Issue started in Windows 10 but still occurs in 8.1)
Motherboard: Not sure
Cooling: Not sure

Thank you in advance.

Solution
This is potentially a memory problem, so you really do need to run a memory diagnostic to clear out the potential of the problem. You may also want to try running the laptop with only one of each RAM stick (16gb = 2x8GB) and seeing if the system functions properly with one or the other.

There is also the possibility that the RAID drivers of your laptop are problematic. Try uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage, or disabling RAID if it's active on your computer.

metalicgeek

Estimable
This is potentially a memory problem, so you really do need to run a memory diagnostic to clear out the potential of the problem. You may also want to try running the laptop with only one of each RAM stick (16gb = 2x8GB) and seeing if the system functions properly with one or the other.

There is also the possibility that the RAID drivers of your laptop are problematic. Try uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage, or disabling RAID if it's active on your computer.

Solution