nVidia 52.16 slower on GF4 Ti cards ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
So what's all the fuss fanboy? Do you understand your card? Nope: it has a limited processing power (not infinite, like all processing hardware has).Newer drivers bring improved video quality,meaning more proc pow for Q, so lower framerates. It's all your choise.
In fact NVIDIA OFFERS YOU THE CHOISE, because you can DOWNLOAD OLDER DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA SITE, in case you don't have them. So stick with the old ones for higer framerates.
P.S. It's just like a catalogue(of drivers). You choose.

Snap

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
LMAO!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is reeeeally no way to go through life, son!

Read mR nUKE's post, it's for -guess what- you!!!
Learn to read better!!!
You're the fanboy here, son!
So beat it yourself!

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
do you understand the point? no. the point is nvidia shouldnt make new drivers that dont support older cards properly. period. they can write them better, they simply dont because they want to force people to upgrade. its called "designed obsolescence".

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

Snap

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Congratulations loser!
You just proved the hopelesness of your case! :lol:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid it is then...

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
S far as I'm concerned, ATI cards may be better refering to speed terms(Ex: FX5200 and Radeon 9200), but the realistic scenes come only with NVIDIA.
P.S.I'm not an NVIDIA fanboy.I only know who's the best.ATI may be the best if it focuses more on quality of it's cards.

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
do you understand the point? no. the point is nvidia shouldnt make new drivers that dont support older cards properly. period. they can write them better, they simply dont because they want to force people to upgrade. its called "designed obsolescence".
obsolesence happens whether its designed into a product or not, its called progress. ti4200 is a great card...but its almost the end of the line and thats something no driver will be able to fix. and my next card is going to be a radeon 9800 pro, so dont trot out that tired f word.

in the mean time, i've used 52.16, 53.03 and now the 56.56 drivers (from guru3d) for my ti4200 without any problems. have i lost framerates....maybe. but i cant tell without running a benchmark, so who cares.

i got lucky that the driver releases work with my card, for some cards it doesnt. if they release a driver that doesnt work with my card, i'll just revert to a driver that does, and move on with my life. driver updates would be few and far between if they were expected to work with every ti4xxx ever made every time. as others have said in this thread, the drivers work with most older cards, but in some cards they dont produce better performance (whether you measure better in picture quality or framerates). thats why nvidia keeps a long list of drivers available for download, so you can revert to one that best fits your needs.

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
That's exactly what I've said. I've done some heavy research and came up with this:
5x.xx drivers use a lot of performance to increase video quality. The FX serie, for wich these drivers were designed have enough power in them to be able to handle high framerates. For the Ti serie, such power is not avalaible, so the framerates go down a little bit.
UNLIKE ATI, NVIDIA ALLOWS YOU TO DOWNLOAD OLDER DRIVERS,(I've searched the ATI site and were unable to find any drivers for ATI RAGE , but could very easily found drivers for NVIDIA RIVA TNT on NVIDIA's website),like Detonator whatever(3x.xx, 4x.xx), Force Ware whatever(5x.xx), you name it. Actually I could download every driver NVIDIA has ever made. It's not that they don't write them better or that we're talking about incompatibilty issues, it's just that the Force Ware drivers(5x.xx) are optimized for FX cards, as I've explained in this post

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I just want to make sure you get me:
- GPU's operate under a limit of performance(not infinite)
- Force Ware drivers bring improved video quality, despite the lower framerates
- they are optimized for faster cards than the Ti serie
- the Ti serie cannot support so much processing, resulting in lower framerates
- you can download drivers that bring higher framerates from NVIDIA
- framerates should increase if Detonator drivers are used on FXcards (in theory)
- Drivers are being written "in theory" and then tested
- Optimized for something else doesn't mean incompatibility
- ATI does not offer you older drivers

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
"I recently installed the latest catylist drivers from ATI. I get slower performance than I do with the ones I currently use, that are several versions back. I tried the Omega version of them as well....same effect. I'm talkin just basic windows stuff...opening files, windows, etc. Things lag, it's weird. Anyway I'm running a P4 3.06gig, on an Asus P4P3 board. The graphics card i'm using is a Radeon 9700 Pro."
Just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I guess the old saying "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" holds true in my situation. heh =P"
Click <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37144#37144" target="_new"> this </A>, for more details.