nvidia ide problems..

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
Subject: nFORCE2 Crush sux

Oh wise, Forum Pounders I really need your help this time.
I just built a system with the nForce2 crush 18g igp Chipset.
The Board is Biostar M7NCG 400.
i HAVE a Lite-on 52x32x52 cdrw and a lite-on 52x cd-rom.
Everything works great except the the burning of Cd-r's ( Have not tried cd-rw yet).
After making several coasters with the bundled Nero Express.
I called lite-on, then Nero, and finally Biostar.
Still no improvement. Next I inserted my TDK velo-cd-rw from my system and installed it's version of Nero.
Still no luck, tried several downloadable clone CD type of softwares and got 1 music cd that skips to go with my 7 - pack of coasters.
Apparently, this Nvidia chipset is to blame???
Primary and secondary ide channels have been replaced in the device manager with one nvidia ide channel???
This claims to be working fine???
I am using an activated copy of XP pro.
Any help / advice would be very welcome.
I am dying here!!!
Biostar now tells me that they are currently using my exact configuration. the same lite-ons and everything??? Also he said use the XP default drivers not the newer invidia all in one ide, chipset drivers??? :(
I really do not want to re-install everything, particularily because I have already activated win XP, which was insane to do before burning a cd..
How difficult can the solution to this be???
I only want to burn a single audio CD, no multi-session nothing complex.
My customer/friend is getting pretty upset with this long wait - Please help!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by morganwill on 02/19/04 08:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
This sounds like something that might take an in-person visit by your favorite geek. At least try to make him or her feel like they've saved your life :).

Anyway, it really sounds like some kind of dustup between Windows XP/ the BIOS/ and the drive. I run XP Pro on a mobo with an SIS chipset and I've had nothing but problems with Lite-On drives. Why? I don't know. It's an ECS mobo with no warnings about Lite-on. In my case, there are no drivers to install, so it can't very well be a driver problem.

Now, if you DO have drivers that needed to be loaded, but you want to see what XP native support is there, do this:

Hit Windows key+Pause to get the system properties dialogue box.

Open up the Device Manager and remove the listing for the drive. Let it uninstall any drivers. Go into Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to make very sure that any listed drivers you've installed are gone, then reboot. At that point, it should rediscover your drive and that's when you can let it install whatever drivers it thinks are best.

Hope that helps you out, some. I really doubt if it's the nForce chipset on the mobo. The BIOS is the likliest culprit. As in any hardware change, there is always the chance that it won't work.

=== SHOPPINGMAN!!! Never assume ANYTHING ====

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
Ok, Thanks I will try this tonight.
What about my solid TDK CDRW, remember it gets the same errors so I don't think it is a hardware/lite-on issue.
Stayed up all night battling and did get WIN Xp to automatically search the windows folder and it installed a NON-NVIDIA drive and presto I now see the familiar primary and secondary IDE channels. Of course, I jumped the gun and prematurely celebrated. Still errors out at 5% in the nero express 5.5 software. :( Later I went back to control panel/ secondary IDE controller properties and had to enable dma mode 2. I assume this is correct?? It was on PIO which was impossible under win XP according to the Biostar guys.. :( Still will not burn a simple pink floyd music CD???? I also got a power mis-calibration message at the end of another 5% completed Nero session. I am closer Now that I have both IDE channels??
please advise.
Thanks a billion..

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the third possibility- either the mobo OR the drive may be physically bad. Sorry.

Then we get to a much grayer area- media quality and manufacturer. It seems like something from another era, but there are still types of blank CD-R's around that don't work well with one drive or another. Something to do with dye types, etc. And you need to make sure that you're not, for instance, trying to burn a 4X rated CD-R at 48X or something like that. Those numbers aren't just for decoration (usually).

Last of all, it may be that Nero isn't working well with your system. It can happen. Try other burner software. It can't hurt and it may be the rest of the solution.

What bothers me is the problem associated with using nVidia drivers with your mobo. And Biostar knows about this prblem? I'd be out shopping for another brand right now while waiting for UPS to pick up the package going back to the place you bought it!

=== SHOPPINGMAN!!! Never assume ANYTHING ====

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
Ok, Thanks I will try this tonight.
What about my solid TDK CDRW, remember it gets the same errors so I don't think it is a hardware/lite-on issue.
Stayed up all night battling and did get WIN Xp to automatically search the windows folder and it installed a NON-NVIDIA drive and presto I now see the familiar primary and secondary IDE channels. Of course, I jumped the gun and prematurely celebrated. Still errors out at 5% in the nero express 5.5 software. :( Later I went back to control panel/ secondary IDE controller properties and had to enable dma mode 2. I assume this is correct?? It was on PIO which was supposedlly impossible under win XP according to the Biostar guys.. :( Still will not burn a simple pink floyd music CD???? I also got a power mis-calibration message at the end of another 5% completed Nero session. I am closer Now that I have both IDE channels?? Right???? Please address the power - related error ( I have a good 400watt PSU).
please advise.
It's always something simple...
Thanks a billion..

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I am still down.
At 5-6% completed within nero5.5
3 out of 4 times I just get "write error"
with the 1 out of 4 getting "power calibration error"???
:( :(

Any Ideas - Please see entire thread....

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!1