Obama Launches Stimulus Tracking Site

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Not sure if I was going to (+) or (-) gamerk so I did neither... The market began correcting itself slowly as FDR stayed in office. Most of the "New Deal" was largely declared unconstitutional over the next 10 years and it *DID* even out the recovery road to make it tolerable to those who otherwise would have had a much sharper hardship. At the same time, the original recovery would have happened in the course of a year or two instead of 10, so there's a definite trade-off.

The 'great depression' wasn't fixed by FDRs make-work programs. The infrastructure was definitely needed and proved useful, but having the government do it is about as efficient as having the Muppets do it. The great depression was ultimately fixed by a unprecedented period of personal sacrifice by Americans and an unprecedented period of rebuilding in the US, Europe, and Asia during and following the devastation of WWII.

The Keynesian notion of government "fixing" a problem by spending money ignores the fact that capital is *NOT* a fixed resource that can be optimized by 'sharing the wealth' and the bigger issue: THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T HAVE MONEY. Every dime they spend is first taxed (literally TAKEN from you under punishment of prison) away from a private person or company who otherwise would have put it into the market in a much more logical fashion.

VAL3NTINO

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
It's funny how opinionated people are when a Democrat is President, and actually DOES what he says. Even though I didn't vote for the last guy, I accepted him as my President (because I choose to be a part of this society). I'm just curious as to where all these opinionated individuals were at when we were spending billions in Iraq. No offense to Iraq, but the last time I checked, I don't know anyone over there. I do, however, know a lot of hard working people just trying to keep their jobs and homes over the heads of their children. A construction job is WAY better than no job...

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
This isn't a partisan issue... I realize the President is doing exactly what he said he'd do. I'll not harp on the fact that I didn't vote for him and I very much wish he proves my thinking wrong and makes the economy wonderful by (almost) any means possible.

That said... A job is a good thing, but if the government borrows $50,000 from the people to create a temporary construction job, how many jobs are ultimately destroyed when the government has to tax you [society as a whole, not you personally] $80,000 to pay back that loan with interest? Answer -> 1.6 (a net loss of .6 jobs to temporarily create one job.)

It would be far better if the government lowered taxes on a construction company so they in turn could create their own jobs to do the same work the government wanted done. In this way, the company makes money, the construction worker gets a job, and the government can collect more taxes from both of them. Look... we just permanently GREW the economy instead of just moving some money around.

VAL3NTINO

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
That solution sound great on paper, but the reality is that the business owners that get the tax breaks just buy really expensive cars and stack the money away. They don't raise wages or hire more people. If there is anything that "Big Business" has taught the American people, it's that there is no loyalty. You just give up umteen yrs of your life to have your job outsourced to maximize profits. It's about time that somebody represents the "little guy". I sincerely hope that the economy gets fixed too, but moreso, I hope that "Big Business" regains their sense of morality and obligation to the people who helped make them big.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
(+) Val3ntino... I agree that "big business" is greedy and left unchecked will often not spend money wisely. That's a failure of their board of directors and the CEO to act responsibly. Such companies should go out of business and instead are given first dibs on government-borrowed "bailout" money. Lame, lame, lame! (I didn't vote for George W either, btw...) Corporations mismanaging their shareholder's money are on par with the way government wastes money. Neither should be in charge of your wallet.

Most jobs, you'll find, are in smaller companies and self-employeed people... not so much in your "GEs" and "Microsofts." They have to use money wisely to stay alive and they are the ones who are most able to pull us out of recession when they're allowed to spend their money they way they need to (not taxes.) Ironically, they are the ones who benefit most from corporate tax cuts. It may seem like the giant corporations get most of the $$$ and they do get big chunks of it, but not a large percentage of it.

BTW: You asked where people were when W was pushing for war in Iraq. I was busy writing to my senators (whom I also didn't vote for) protesting the move. They decided not to listen to nor acknowledge getting any letters or calls from me. Alas.

Ronrico

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]VAL3NTINO[/nom]It's funny how opinionated people are when a Democrat is President, and actually DOES what he says. Even though I didn't vote for the last guy, I accepted him as my President (because I choose to be a part of this society). I'm just curious as to where all these opinionated individuals were at when we were spending billions in Iraq. No offense to Iraq, but the last time I checked, I don't know anyone over there. I do, however, know a lot of hard working people just trying to keep their jobs and homes over the heads of their children. A construction job is WAY better than no job...[/citation]

If there was ever a time when people were opinionated about politics, it was when Bush was president. As for the billions spent in Iraq, that was spread out over 5-6 years, most of which was also voted for by Democrats. In just 1 month in office, Obama has already spent more than the entire Iraq war has cost. The end result of which will be the largest expansion of government in U.S. history, something most Americans of any political affiliation are not happy with. I think that warrants all the "opinions".

Ronrico

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I love all these people complaining about business not spending money wisely, as if the government has ever shown that they could do it better. NEVER IN HISTORY has government spent money more efficiently than the private sector. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to say.

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
"G" I couldn't disagree with you more. It's a typical liberal standpoint, and I'm a typical conservative, so no point in arguing about FDR and Reagan.

firemage

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Animebando[/nom]"G" I couldn't disagree with you more. It's a typical liberal standpoint, and I'm a typical conservative, so no point in arguing about FDR and Reagan.[/citation]

At least we can agree on that much.

-G

G

firemage, educate yourself:
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-s-Policies-Prolonged-Depression-5409.aspx?RelNum=5409

World War II got us out of the depression, plain and simple. As for this "stimulus" it won't stimulate anything. Transparency? How about broken promises? 48 hours to view, instead we get 10 hours to review a 1,000+ page bill? 0bama is a fascist plain and simple. Just look at their desire to bring back the 'fairness' doctrine. And what's that, he wants to control the internet as well? Shock. All in the name of REAL suppression of dissent, unlike the imaginary suppression of dissent under ChimpyMcHitlerBush. LOL. While many of the things in the spending bill (infrastructure improvements) are worthy, stop LYING to the American people and calling it stimulus. There are ZERO economists who aren't in 0bama's pocket who think this will stimulate the economy. Even the Congressional Budget Office says it will reduce GDP long term with uncertain short term benefits. It's not stimulus, it's pork, the other white meat.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
"firemage"

Go back to playing d&d, or revisit your high school history books; WW2 ended the depression. FDR's plans helped, and eventually might have ended the depression given 20 to 30 years, but sadly WW2 was the instrument of fast recovery during the 40's.

firemage

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom]"firemage"Go back to playing d&d, or revisit your high school history books; WW2 ended the depression. FDR's plans helped, and eventually might have ended the depression given 20 to 30 years, but sadly WW2 was the instrument of fast recovery during the 40's.[/citation]

The Depression was over before the start of WWII it was in 1933 when FDR took office that there was a turn around, and for the record i'll have my BA in History come May, just wrapping up a few non-history classes before there.

The idea that FDR did nothing is Right Wing BS, oh and my grade school and high school books praised FDR for ending the depression.

-G

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I will not say anything until we see how spending money doesn't solve the economy's promblems this all started when the clinton administration tried to do liberal acts ect. America doesn't care if obama is clearly a socailist because they are slow to realize when has giving money to the poor ever created a job? The government is just putting a burden on future generation with this huge debt; hope for the best, expect the worst with this stimulus package. too much pork!

firemage

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]I will not say anything until we see how spending money doesn't solve the economy's promblems this all started when the clinton administration tried to do liberal acts ect. America doesn't care if obama is clearly a socailist because they are slow to realize when has giving money to the poor ever created a job? The government is just putting a burden on future generation with this huge debt; hope for the best, expect the worst with this stimulus package. too much pork![/citation]

This all started when Reagan started breaking our New Deal reg system.

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.