Obama's Plans for Mobile Broadband for Everyone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Maybe its better in South Korea because they have 15x our population density and can afford to blanket the whole nation?

G

@zachary k
when he said "this is your generations sputnik moment" i immediately thought "Going to mars motherfracker!", imagine my disappointment when he talked about wireless internet.

what do you expect to have on mars..? better internet connection perhaps..?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom] Wasn't our Declaration of Independence written in cursive? Well I guess nobody cares anymore, considering that, and the fact that they keep trying to eliminate "God" from our Pledge of Allegiance.Sorry for the rant. Had to say a few things.[/citation]

Oh does, the DoI was written in cursive so that means we must always keep it around for that reason alone!

Dumb ass.

And yes god should be removed from the pledge, it was added in the 1950s during the red scare by a group of fundie Christians.

Look at youtube videos of Porky Pig saying it, and realize there is no "Under God" you dumb piece of shit.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]No mission to mars? No moon base?[/citation]
That'd be great, but we really have more important things to take care of down here first. I don't think wireless broadband is one of them.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]In general the education system as a whole is failing. This mostly has to do with holding students that excel back and students who fail pushing them forward when they should be held back. While History and English could be improved upon, that isn't the major problem in US schools.The US is now embarrassingly far behind in Math and Sciences. These are easily the most important part of education today. In 2006, in the US, less than 12% of bachelor graduates are engineers. Compare this to the rest of the world. Germany, Sweden, and Finland are over 25%. Korea is over 37% engineer graduates. Japan over 24%.By comparison, in the US, over 25% of graduates are that of the Social Sciences! Over 16% PSYCHOLOGY!!!No sir, you are wrong. I would say that if anything, we focus too much on Social Sciences in K-12. We do not focus on the Math and Sciences enough, this is what is hurting the US. This is why we are no longer the innovators in the world. This is why we produce less scientific papers.Math and Science SHOULD be his focus, not History and English.[/citation]
Whats wrong with psychology? We need psychologists here in South Florida because we have this gigantic psychology factory that is about to open..

ovride

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Yes! exactly. The writer of this article didn't consider that at all...We can get TV signal while being many miles away from the TV tower. Now the same will be true with internet providers.Companies like Comcast (for example) can setup a wireless signal that can be recieved by EVERYONE within X number of miles. I don't know what the range is because I don't know what the range for analog TV signal was BUT... I do know this.. There have been several times where I could be waaay out at a lake or something a amazingly you could still pickup a channel or two. Soon, the same will be true for wireless internet. He's not talking specifically about Mobile phone carriers that offer internet service, although they will be welcome to do so. He is talking about new, small, large or exisiting companies that want to use this new frequency to allow internet to get to pretty much everywhere in the US. Because lets be honest. It seems that no matter where you are in the US you can typically get at least 1 channel. Which means you would be able to tune into at least 1 frequency channel that will allow you to get on the internet.[/citation]

Speaking of the whole math and SCIENCE thing... This isn't the same at all. TV stations broadcast at 1000's of kW's to reach those remote locations. The problem is the internet isn't one way.. in order for for network communication to function you have to broadcast packets back to one of those antenna's which means that possibly you would have to broadcast at 1000's of kW to get back to the source. Wireless cards and mobile devices broadcast in the mW. These frequencies will still work, but its going to take a closer mesh of antennas same as a cellular net, and will work fine for more urban and suburban areas, but unfortunately rural area's are still going to suffer from the same problem they do now.

My only other concern might sound a bit conspiracy theory, but if a government "owns", or funds a wireless network for all to use, what protects the privacy of those transmitting data across it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS