Solved! Occasional strange brief voice message

Mar 19, 2018
Recently got same "Fake Microsoft Pop Up" mentioned in another place, but figured it was bogus since I'm using AVG (paid version) and their VPN. Subsequent scan showed no unwanted visitors.

But I'm occasionally having another worrisome thing: every 3-4 days a brief passage of what sounds like foreign language comes from this computer, in a woman's voice. (This happens when I'm in the next room.) When I get in here nothing showing on my browser History, and immediate scans with both AVG and Malwarebytes (also paid version) show nothing. Googling with "mysterious woman's voice pops up at random times on my computer" brought me here; hope I'm not intruding in the wrong place.

Solution
If you are getting adds playing even while not visiting any 'add-prone' websites, I'd examine your task scheduler pretty carefully as well...; something definitely has some hooks that persist thru a reboot.

freefixer . com will allow you to examine every last process/task in every potential location....

http://www.freefixer.com/manual.html

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Scan your system for malware immediately (virus scan as well). My father in law just went through this. He made the mistake of clicking on the pop-up and eventually giving access to his PC. Once money was discussed, he shut down and contacted me.

While nothing showed up as "malware" in the scans, he did allow a remote access app to get installed.

After removing that app and full scans, the system was clean. I then installed uBlock Origin and Ghostery on his browsers. Now, that junk is blocked from ever getting to him.

Your situation sounds eerily similar, voices and all. You likely picked up something at a random website. Clearing your browser caches would be wise as well.

Mar 19, 2018
Thanks, COL Geek. Already scanned (both AVG and MWBytes); both showed no intruders. Cleared browser cache recently but these phantom voices have appeared since then; will do it again.

How did your FiL know he had that remote access app?

As I mentioned, I'm running AVG VPN; installed it after all last summer's furor over the massive data hacks. Can anyone please tell me how "secure" I should feel from running this? I keep it on the entire time the computer is on.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The FiL knew when the "helper from MS" started showing him stuff on his PC. The app was similar to teamviewer (but the actual tool's name escapes me at this moment). My FiL called the provided toll-free number as well.

VPN's won't protect you from clicking on something that could deliver a malicious payload. BTW, what browser are you using?

I would suggest looking at your installed programs (Control Panel/Programs and Features). Sort by date. Look for any apps, you didn't install to your knowledge, since this strangeness started happening. If any are found, uninstall them. That is how I found the app he had installed.

Mar 19, 2018
Did that, found only thing I'd installed last 6 months had gone active for me about the same time this began. Tried twice to Uninstall -- once, using AVG Shredder -- both times got message from the provider, sorry to see me go, hope I'd be back ... BUT: also got notification Delete, then Shredder had both failed to complete because the app was open. I'd last used it about a week ago, shut it down after that; no idea why it should show as open. I'm now in contact with them, trying to figure how to complete that.

BTW, I'd used this app in the past, with no problems. Also, scanned both its Application.exe and the whole Program Files folder for it; clean bill of health from AVG. Other than this, I never add or open anything I haven't asked for after (as thoroughly as I know how) vetting it. Likewise, I don't open emails from anyone I don't know. So...no clue how I got this. Just hope first it's annoying but not actually harmful, and then that I can totally remove it from here. I'll let you know how it plays out but about to leave town for 2 weeks so may be a while before I report back. Thanks again for your help.

Mar 19, 2018
Thanks for that. Will plug in freefixer later.

Those sounds were not coming whilel I had a link open. I keep my Google-Chrome browser open, with its 3 regular occupants available, generally keep my Yahoo mail Inbox exposed so don't believe it could have come from that.

Updating another thing: remembered tech-wise buddy's hint several years ago about things that wouldn't work with regular open sometimes would with Safe Boot. Was even able to remember how to get there and darned if the wanted-gone thing didn't disappear as soon as I hit Delete.

Mar 19, 2018

Mar 19, 2018
Wow, mdd1963! Got FreeFixer and first scan scares me to death. I took note of their warning to be sure I want to delete something. Any help for a codger newbie on what to look for, to avoid killing one or more things I want or need?