Official Laptops Review Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
-Brand:Asus
-Model:K55 VM
-Bought From/Price: Flipkart.com/RS 54k or about a 1000$
-CPU: I 7 3610QM AT 2.3GHZ
-GPU:GT 630M 2GB VRAM DDR3
-Resolution: 1366*768
-RAM: Gb
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): GAMING AT MEDIUM SETTINGS,SURFING
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): NORMAL VIDEO PLAY AT MEDIUM BRIGHTNESS -4hrs
-Your Rating (out of 10): 7

I have a 5400rpm hard disk and it has a write capability of 100MB/s.That renders the USB 3 port mute because it can never ever achieve it's max transfer rate, that is rather stupid.Performs well on most games ,gpu and cpu temp go upto 90 degrees under 100% load.Vram is never fully utilized ,in bf3 it used 510Mb. I must same the computer is rather powerful and packs a punch in the cpu department

Here is a link to good video review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ibYG3k4OmA

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
-Brand: Sager/Clever
-Model: NP6110 (W110er)
-Size: 11.6"
-Bought From/Price: $999 flat
-CPU: Intel i7-3610QM (2.3 Ghz)
-GPU: nVidia GeForce GT 650M
-HDD: 500GB 7200 RPM
-Resolution: 1366 x 768 (720P)
-RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 (Can upgrade to 16 GB total)
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Gaming, business use, internet
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 1.5 to 2 hours gaming, 3 to 4 hours basic use
-Your Rating (out of 10): 9 out of 10

I've always been a huge fan of small laptops. Well, at least ever since I bought a massive 17" laptop back in 2004. Their portability was nice, but the winning factor was when people would see it and say to themselves "wow, that is a cool little laptop". One of the biggest problems with small laptops of the day, was cost and the lack of gaming power. Over the past several years, that has changed. Yet the real game changer, to me, is the introduction of the Sager NP6110 (AKA, the Clevo W110er).

At 11.6" and coming in at just under 4 pounds, this is THE little laptop that could. Powered by a quad-core monster and paired with a GeForce GT 650m, there isn't much this thing can't do. So begins the review.

Pros: Small and light, which is great for someone like me who likes to take a laptop on the go. Gaming is superb, as I can play Skyrim at Ultra resolution with the high-res texture pack with all options completely maxed out at smooth frames. For productivity, the laptop plows through all tasks I have thrown at it. The responsiveness of programs opening nearly twice as fast as my Intel E8400 @ 4 GHz all but wowed me. After all, I thought my desktop was more than fast enough at opening things. The ruberized texture on the lid and the mouse pad adds a nice look and a cool feel. The keyboard is comfortable to type on (I have small hands, so I'm a little biased there), as a chicklet keyboard. Each key as a nice tactile feel to it.

The screen, while small, is easy enough to look out without getting eye-strain. Speaking of the screen, its LED back lit, which is standard these days. But it is also very bright. At about 30% brightness, it beats my old laptop at 100% brightness. Needless to say, I keep it 40% brightness at most, and 25% for normal battery use. The laptop comes with two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0, as well as a HDMI and VGA connectors and a all in one card reader. Laptop has limited upgradeability, but can take up to 16 GB of DDR3 RAM. The panel underneath the laptop can come off, giving 100% freedom to accessing all her internal organs. The sound comes across very nice (though I'm no audiophile) and clear.

Cons: This is a small, compact machine, and as such there is no optical drive. Not problem, as I bought a external one - but so far I have yet to of needed it. The laptop also gets very, very warm. It in no way comes close to being dangerously warm, but it is something that one should very seriously consider a cooling pad. The fan can get very loud when playing a game (like Skyrim) on max graphics. Eventually the fan bleeds over the sound of the game (though gaming with headphones helps). The screen has limited viewing angles, but they also seem to be a bit better than my old laptop. In a market when laptop battery life dominates at 6+ hours, this guy is a battery eater. In gaming, battery lasts little over 1.5 to 2 hours. In normal use, I get between 3 and 4 hours. Keep in mind the power of this thing. Its a Geometro with a Ferrari engine, so of course it's "gas life" is going to be paltry.

Nitpicks: The track-pad can get a little picky. If you hit it wrong, it will assume you are trying to scroll... even if you are toward the center of the pad. The standard Wi-Fi card seems to lose signal now and then, but I cannot confirm this as a fact as the router in the house I was in was downstairs in an office. The track-pad also has the rubberized coating on it. There is one very small area where the coating wasn't smoothed out like the rest, so it feels like my finger is running across a grain of sand. The webcam looks like it came out of a 2004 laptop, but it gets the job done well enough. The power brick is pretty large, but considering the hardware, it makes sense. No back-lit keyboard makes typing at night a bit more difficult, though luckily for me I can still type adequately in the dark. Finally, there is no cable management for the power unit after you pack it up. So the cord gets pretty messy quickly.

Conclusion: If you want a small and portable gaming laptop, the NP6110 is the one and only. Many times more powerful than the Alienware M11x (though not as cool looking I suppose), this little guy can power through any modern game at high to ultra settings. Battery life could have been better, but I'm not complaining, especially when I see how fast tasks are accomplished or how nice games look. This is the laptop I've been waiting for since 2004.

Edit: Double-Pro: There is not one piece of bloatware I could find on the laptop. At first I thought there were a few, but they all turned out to be part of the drivers for the sound and the webcam.

Edit 2: To the question about the battery, its pretty simple. Do not let your battery die all the way, charge it when it is half dead. Do not continue charging it after it is fully charged. This will extend the life of the battery. However, it is typical for batteries to die after a year or two, so its still nothing to worry about.

Lme

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Sahara
I bough it for $500
Used windows XP SP2
CPU was 1.6
HDD was 40 gig
RAM was 250
Usage - i used it for my projects most of the time

It couldnt browse internet because it was too slow but i loved that laptop to death,until it got stolen.

magnus71

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
-Brand: ASUS
-Model: K55VM-SX086D
-Bought From/Price: Local vendor, 54000 INR
-OS: came with FreeDOS, now has windows 7 ultimate and ubuntu 12
-CPU: 3rd gen core i7 3610qm
-GPU: nvidia 630m
-Resolution: 1366*768
-RAM: 8 GB @1600 Mhz
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Everything!!
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 5 hrs under battery saving and light-weight usage (reading a pdf for example)
-Your Rating (out of 10): 9

chad2625

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
-Brand: HP
-Model: G7Z-2100 CTO
-Bought From/Price: HP.com $678
-CPU: A10-4600M
-GPU: ATI 7660G + 7670M
-Resolution: 1600 by 900
-RAM: 4GB as purchased 8GB upgraded
-Usage: General usage Mild Gaming
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation):With Extended battery 3 to 4 Hours general usage 1 to 2 gaming.
-Your Rating (out of 10): 8.5

The HP G series Laptops are HP’s budget laptops, compared to the DV series they are lacking in the extras the DV’s have. The DVs generally have brushed aluminum finishes, Fingerprint readers, and beats audio. If these things are important to you then move on, if you're looking for computer, and don't care about these things, then the G7z is probably something worth looking at.

The looks:
It’s a pretty snazzy looking finish with the HP logo bottom right hand corner. It will shows the fingerprints, pretty easily. The inside of the computer is pretty nice, also it has a speaker bar, above the keyboard which I think makes a better listening experience. It has a full size keyboard with a number pad.

The HP experience:
Right off the bat, you notice the Bloatware. Just after you get the windows 7 configuration done, HP’s logo.exe program runs, while The HP setup Program loads (and it took a while). I have been working with computer for a long time, Yes I know I did not set up Norton Antivirus, I know my computer could get a virus. For the average user, or the computer clueless this process might be good.

The laptop comes with Dolby advanced sound, which is integrated audio with an decent set of audio drivers, and audio Control panel. The audio is made by IDT, the software control panel is nice. What makes it for me is built in equalizer, and it displays each channel's level when sound is being played. It also has, noise canceling, using the built in microphone for a better listening experience, something that Beatz Audio brags about.
Dolby.png

Performance:

The AMD A10-4600M is the the Top end AMD mobile processor. It is equipped with, a 7660G, video card. Like all AMD processors there are more powerful Intel processors, but the A10 can hold its own, especially when you factor in the 7660G. When Gaming you want to balance the processor with graphics, with graphics being more important. The A10 Just does something Intel can’t, and that is Crossfire with the ATI 7670M. I think in this price point you probably won’t find a notebook that performs like this one. It won’t Perform like a top of the line Gaming notebook, but it will get the job done. Benchmarks below, overall for a Sub $700 notebook it plays games pretty well. You should Expect to play games and Medium-High settings. Batman Arkham City played would play well on Medium quality with 2X AA, where Just cause 2 in benchmarks got Playable FPS at High textures and 2X AA with Medium Shadow Detail. Whereas Dexues EX Human Revolution got on default settings got an average FPS 36.56 with a min of 25 and a max of 61, at full settings it got 18.37 average, and a max of 32, Fraps posted a minimum of 0 which I think was an error.

Bottom line:
Great performance for class, Good Audio and software to go with it.

Cons:
Laptop can run hot, the video 7670M runs about 80C while under load.

Other Thoughts:
Lacks some of the extras higher end models have. Performance in games is acceptable maybe even good, but not great. If you're not on a budget and want to game, pass this laptop up for one that has more muscle.

3dmark Vantage results:
Total: P5322
Graphics: 5936
CPU: 4061
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/4223979

3dMark 11 Results:
Total: P2011
Graphics: 2085
Physics: 2070
Combined: 1480
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/4044891

Game Bench Marks

Batman Arkham City
Full Supported settings
Maxium: 28
Average: 15
Very High Texture, High Tessellation, FXAA Medium, No motion blur, No ambient Occlusion
Maxium: 28
Minium: 16
Very High Texture, Normal Tessellation, FXAA Medium, No motion blur, No ambient Occlusion
Maxium: 32
Minium: 17
High Texture, Normal Tessellation, FXAA Low, No motion blur, No ambient Occlusion
Maxium: 32
Minium: 18

Just Cause 2
Texture High, Shadows High, AA 4X, Anisotropic Filtering 16 , Water Detail Very High, Object Detail Very High.
Average FPS: 19.57
Texture High, Shadows Medium, AA 2X, Anisotropic Filtering 8 , Water Detail Very High, Object Detail Very High.
Average FPS 24.25

Review Disclaimer This is a CTO laptop so this review is based off of the following configuration.

• sparkling black
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
• 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7670M Discrete-Class Graphics
• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1Dimm)
• FREE Upgrade to 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
• No additional security software
• 17.3-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone

BatmanArkam1settings.png

BatmanArkam1.png

BatmanArkam2settings.png

BatmanArkam2.png

BatmanArkam3settings.png

BatmanArkam3.png

BatmanArkam4settings.png

BatmanArkam4.png

JustCause1.png

JustCause2.png

ProdigyForce

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
-Brand: HP
-Model: Pavillion DV6
-Bought From/Price:PC-World / £549
-CPU: Intel Core i3-2350m
-GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT630m
-Resolution: 1366 x 768 LED
-RAM: 4GB
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Internet, Music. Will do gaming, just need games.
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 7 hours? I don't know but it sure is hell long

This is an amazing laptop. I would recommend it to anyone who cannot afford a high end laptop.

The Screen is amazing, bright and colors

The Speed is great. I haven't had much time but its bonded.

The webcam can do nice pics and videos.

I like:
The nice keyboard.
The LED screen
The webcam and the software with it.
SimplePass
Setup was so easy

I dislike:
Sometimes the internets slightly slow

Overall, this was the perfect laptop for me, as its not expensive yet has lots of power and is awesome!

sugandha

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
-Brand: - Apple
-Model: -Apple MacBook Air MD224HN/A
-Bought From/Price: - shopbychoice.com / Rs. 72,900/- (after 2% off)
-GPU:- Intel HD Graphics 4000
-Resolution: - 1366 x 768 Pixel
-RAM:- 4GB RAM
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…):- MagSafe 2 power port, SDXC card slot etc
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): - 5.0 Hours battery backup
-Your Rating (out of 10):- 8

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
-Brand: Alienware
-Model: M14x
-Bought From/Price: used $900
-CPU: i7 2670qm
-GPU: Nvidia 555m
-Resolution: 1600x900
-RAM: 6GB
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): gaming,internet,music,photo and video editing and storage
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 4-5 hours with power options turned off and optimus enabled

Bought this laptop used locally still had warranty on it until January and I got the original invoice with it as well showing the original purchase price of $1699 CDN. I paid the guy $900 and walked away happy. Snappy fast responsive system that's absolutely great for gaming and most other uses. Only real gripes are the weight seems high for a 14 incher and the trackpad scroll even with the zone setting being huge is hit or miss. With that in mind with the weight being high it's obvious this is meant to be a replacement for a desktop machine which is what it is for me. I upgraded from a Dell E6510 with a first gen i7 and 8GB of ram and an SSD to this machine. I did give up some things like the SSD and the ram is slightly lower, however with that said the 2nd gen chip and 1.5GB dedicated graphics more than make up for the slower boot times and slightly lower ram.

Getting more into the meat of the review first I'll talk about the screen it's a 1600x900 14.1 inch that seems very similar to a MBP display in taht it obviously has a piece of glass in front of the actual LCD itself which makes for a very nice crisp display without the annoying bezel. I really like this. Colours are wonderfully represented and all my photos and video look amazing not to mention games run beautifully with no ghosting or other effects so the response time is definitely there.

Next of course I'll talk about the keyboard which is one of the hallmarks of Alienware with the AlienFX backlighting. The backlighting is like a carnival ride on steroids very eye catching and it makes typing in not so well lit places an easy task. Backlighting of course also extends to the power button, Alienware logo on the bottom of the screen glass and around the trackpad as well as the front lights. It screams I'm expensive look at me and what I can do.

Now moving away from form and getting into function this thing has function in spades with almost every type of connector I can think of firewire, USB 3.0, BT ,HDMI and VGA, 10/100/1000 NIC it's just features as far as the eye can see on this little wonder.

Gaming performance of course what everyone is wondering is absolutely wonderful. Every game I have thrown at it including Crysis has run at the highest settings with complete fluidity. I couldn't be more pleased with it's performance in this regard. This is also my first experience with what most of you would consider a high end laptop.

To sum it all up for $900 with the warranty still in tact and having looked on ebay I think I scored a pretty good deal and I think this machine will serve me will for at least 2-3 years

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
-Brand: Sager
-Model: NP9150T (15.4")
-Bought From/Price: www.sagernotebook.com / USD$1437 + tax
-CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM
-GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT675M
-Resolution: 1920x1080 LED
-RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600
-Usage : PC like tasks: gaming, programming and whatever I need to do.
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): Not fully tested, but I'd say like 3 to 4 hours.
-Your Rating (out of 10): 9.5

I'd give it a perfect 10 if it not were for the glossy screen as default and tougher panels for the LED screen. They should use the mate one as default.

I ordered this notebook with an HDD bay instead of the ODD (BD ROM by default, I think) plus a second 500GB 7200 RPM slim HDD in it (main unit is the same, you can put an SSD and other cool stuff for the Intel storage thingy). It also came with a LED keyboard (numpad included) as default and with Onkyo speakers (integrated) that sound quite nice. Finger print reader, integrated web cam and regular multi touch mouse pad, plus stickers.

The body work of the notebook is quite nice as well. It's a matte finish across the whole body and doesn't weight a ton, but the power brick is quite big, it-s like 1/3 of the notebooks weight, haha.

The best of the notebook, by far, is that Sager is quite un-beatable in the price / perf ratio.

These are some pictures of it:

IMG_20121011_223505.jpg

IMG_20121011_223446.jpg

IMG_20121009_213448.jpg

EDIT: Some Windows scores

sager_win_index.jpg

EDIT2: New Windows score after the SSD upgrade:

sager_win_index_ssd.jpg

Cheers!

CAlbertson

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

-Brand:Dell
-Model:XPS 12
-Bought From/Price:Dell Online for $1400
-CPU:Intel Core i7 3517U (1.9GHz or 3Ghz Turbo)
-GPU:Intel HD Graphics 4000
-Resolution:1920x1080
-RAM:8GB @ 1600Mhz
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…):Mainly Office Apps, Internet, Work
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): About 3 Hours
-Your Rating (out of 10):8.9/10

For most, $1400 is probably a bit much for a 3.5 lbs 12-inch convertible laptop, but I suppose that's the price one pays for being an early adapter. Nor did I want to mess with the RT version of Windows 8, mainly due to worries over compatibility with some older programs I use. It'll probably take sometime before Windows 8 catches on, but having been a beta tester, I couldn't resist getting a touch screen to really see what W8 could do. Based upon my experience with W8 in the beta program, I'll be the first to tell you that it is truly for machines with touchscreen capabilities. Navigating around W8 with a mouse is burdensome if you want the full experience, but in desktop mode the good old fashioned mouse works great. Now, onto the machine itself.

For starters and for those who are unfamiliar with this laptop, it is actually a convertible laptop/tablet, i.e. it turns into a tablet from a laptop and vice-versa. You simply flip the screen and fold down- that's all. There is no delay what so ever. I find that it is solidly built, i.e. the screen is solidly in place when in laptop mode and the screen itself is fairly thick. I don't really haul it around that much, so the weight (3.5lbs) doesn't really bother me. I didn't expect the screen to be very crisp due to its 12 inch size, but at 1920x1080, everything is crystal clear and the colors are vibrant. The touch capabilities are spot on in the sense that there are no delays and it is an overall smooth experience. It does take some time to get used to, but after a few days, it'll feel like second nature. One issue though is that the touch pad is highly sensitive and take some time to get used to as well, so you may want to turn it down in the settings. The chiclet keyboard is great, as the keys are firm and very tactile.

Performance/Spec-wise, a key selling point for me was the 128GB solid state drive (in reality, 104GB). Compared to Windows 7, Windows 8 (and BIOS) and a solid state drive boot in less than 20 seconds. The i7 3517u, even though an ultra-mobile, is rather quick and runs cool (about 35C on a hard, flat surface) thanks to the 22nm lithography of Ivy Bridge. It rates a 7.2 on the WEI, so it's no lightweight. For gaming though, combined with the weak Intel 4000 GPU (a 5.4 on the WEI), I'm not sure if this is the machine for you. The only major downside for those who like to haul their laptops around is the fact that the battery is only good for roughly 3 hours, even on power saver mode. But I suppose that is the price you pay for added performance.

Here are the full ratings of the WEI:
Processor: Core i7 3517U- 7.2
RAM: 8GB @ 1600Mhz- 7.9
Graphics: Intel 4000- 5.4
Gaming Graphics: 6.4
Primary Hard Disk: 128GB SSD- 8.1

Overall, for my use, i.e. Internet, Office Apps, etc..., I like the XPS 12. Again, keep in mind that it does take some getting used to, as well as Windows 8, but I don't think you'll be disappointed so long as your not playing any hardcore games.

amir13499

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

neodymium

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Sony Vaio FW series

Brand: Sony
Model: VGN-FW351J
Cost: $999.99 @ Best Buy (on sale) in January 2009 (late mid 2008 model)
OS: Windows Vista 64 Home Premium (aka Windows Crap that was put together at the last minute to make lots of profit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS custom distro (Gnome)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00 Ghz
GPU: Intel G45 w/ Intel GMA 4500mHD
Resolution: 1600x900 (900p)
Ram: 4 gb
Usage: All the things! (except gaming, it sucks at that)
Real World Battery Life: 3 years ago=2hrs, 2 years ago=1hr 45min, 1 year ago=1hr, today=20min
Rating: 8 of 10

This laptop has served me well for the 4 years I have owned it, and I don't expect to be writing an obituary amendment to this review anytime soon, if not at all. It still looks aesthetically pleasing compared to some of today's laptops and has a magnesium alloy lid:

Sony_VAIO_VGN-FW590.jpg

Note that my keys are white, not black like in the sample pic, because it was the model bought in stores and not from sony directly
(Borrowed from wikipedia, too lazy to take my own pic)
The battery life has progressively gotten worse, but what do you expect from a five year old lithium ion battery anyway? My only complaint about this laptop is that the Intel GMA is too !&@\^? slow. It is so slow, that when I play games, my cpu has to wait for the graphics card to catch up. It doesn't even deserve to be called a graphics card in the first place! However, the Blu-ray and the existence of a modem makes up for that fault, but I am still relatively unsatisfied.

Renzel Hirt

Honorable
May 5, 2013
hi there im new here,,... i cannot find samsung brand ,,,thread so sad...

-Brand: SAMSUNG
-Model: SF-410
-Bought From/Price: i dunno what the price in dollars but i bought it on ph peso about ( 50.000 )
-CPU: INTEL CORE I5 460 M (FIRST GEN HOW SAD )
-GPU: INTEL HD3000 / NVIDIA GEFORCE 310M 1 GB (VIA OPTIMUS
-Resolution: 1366X768 HD LED
-RAM: 4 GB DDR3
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): DAILY MID-GAMING , INTERNET , SCHOOL (PROGRAMMING) .MOVIES
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): ON SAMSUNG OPTIMIZE I GET -3 HRS AND 30 MINS
POWER SAVER 3 HRS 10MINS HIGH PERFORMANCE 2HRS
-Your Rating (out of 10): 8 OF 10

Samsung-SF410-Notebook.jpg

this laptop is my first ..... gear on mid- gaming very thankful i brought an i5 even do its 1st version .. so far this laptop serves me well when im gaming....nvidia optimus... helps me a lot!!! ... give a little boost maintaning league of legends in 60 fps all medium settings,.....also battery rocks!!.. only downside,,, is this not capable of ssd drives (dunno) and also video card if they equip this with an gtx im...so happy with that.....recovery.....sucks,... i replace 2 hdd last 2012... 2 dead hdd in one year....

so far..... im happy with it...

please let me now if i can equiped this with an SSD DRIVE...

Christopher Benson

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
-Brand: SAMSUNG
-Model: CHROMEBOOK
-Bought From/Price: AMAZON/$249
-CPU:
-GPU:
-Resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels (good for the 11.6in screen)
-RAM: 2GB memory and 100GB of free Cloud Drive storage for 2 years
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Everything internet and cloud related
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 6-7 hours
-Your Rating (out of 10): 9 (for what most people use their laptops for)

For most of our everyday laptop uses, the Samsung Chromebook gives you the best bang for your buck. At $249 brand new, you can't ask for a better price. It's thin, lightweight, very fast and has a very long battery life. It's ideal for anybody who spends all their time on their laptop on the internet, personal or business. It's not ideal for people who do a lot off-line as it doesn't run off a traditional OS, but rather the internet and a Chrome browser...which is why it functions so highly. It's not cluttered with apps and programs that are growing obsolete. For more information, check out my Squidoo lens for the Samsung Chromebook. http://www.squidoo.com/workshop/why-every-internet-user-needs-a-chromebook

alina002

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Toshiba Satellite S50t-A-118
Key Features: 15.6-inch 1366x786 touchscreen display; 2.6kg; Intel i7 4700MQ 2.4GHZ Quad Core CPU; 6GB RAM; 1TB 5,400rpm Hard Drive; GeForce GT740M Graphics
Manufacturer: Toshiba

Quick Glance
Display 16.6
Resolution 1366 x 768
Processor Intel Core i7-4700MQ
Processor Speed Standard 2.4
Memory (RAM) 6
Hard Disk Drive (HDD) 1000
Type Other Laptop
Processor, Memory & Storage
Processor Intel Core i7-4700MQ
Processor Speed Standard 2.4
Memory (RAM) 6
Hard Disk Drive (HDD) 1000
Hard Disk Drive Speed 5400
DVD Optical Drive Yes
Graphics & Sound
3D NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
Display 16.6
Resolution 1366 x 768
Communication
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet LAN 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n (up to 150Mbps)
Bluetooth Yes
Webcam Yes
Connectivity
HDMI Yes
Audio Connections Headphone-out
Data
USB 2.0 1
USB 3.0 2
Card Reader 1
Software
Operating System Other OS
Physical Specifications
Weight (With Battery) 2.6
Dimensions Width 377.5
Depth 244
Height 30.3
Other
Type Other Laptop
Battery life 2.5
Battery lithium-ion (prismatic), 4 cell
Warranty (Years & Type) 1 year European Carry-in incl. local Pick-up & Return in the UK & Ireland.
Toshiba Satellite S50t-A-118 – Screen Quality
So where are the specifications different? The most obvious point is the screen, where the S50t's 15.6-inch screen has a 1366x768 resolution compared to the £1,000 Satellite’s 1920x1080. Unfortunately the higher resolution screen wasn’t a great selling point in the pricier model, and this has the same problems only a lot more blocky.

Toshiba Satellite S50t-A-118

The brightness is okay, but it’s not sharp at all, with the blurry meshy quality you get in cheaper touchscreens making things even less sharp, especially text. The colours are a little washed out too, though it’s far from being the worst offender we’ve seen coming through our doors.

On the bright side, touch functions mostly work well, and a surprisingly positive knock on effect from the lower resolution is that things become that bit easier to touch in desktop mode. It feels slightly less responsive than the P50t, but there’s not a great deal in it.
Best Laptops

akinola taiwo

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
ASUS Republic of Gamers G75VW-AS71 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop

So I noticed some weak reviews for this product and am quite disgusted. I bought this unit from Best Buy and have so far been impressed. I typically am a desktop user, in fact, I normally custom build my own rigs. I was in the market for a laptop, and didn't want to frustrate myself with custom building one so I shopped around a lot. For the price, it will be difficult to beat this machine. The only laptops that will come close (Dell XPS, AlienWare, and MSI) would all likely cost and extra $500-$1000. Every game I have played so far (Portal 2, Skyrim, etc) have ran on ultra settings with extremely great frame rates. Now for the Pros and cons:

Pros: Great heat displacement, it has two large exhaust ports on the backside of the machine. This keeps the heat off of the bottom and allows for "lap-top" computing. Processing speed is amazing. Cost is low, but shop around, I got it at Bust Buy for $200 cheaper (though the build is not exact to this model make your own decisions as to what you need). Back-lit key board is extremely neat. Large vibrant HD screen. Its not loaded down with a bunch of bloatware and demos. GTX 660M is a great GPU for most all (with the exception of the have to have the most expensive and overkill, melt your face GPU) users. Additional port for secondary HDD. Easy access for upgrades to HDD an memory. Ivy Bridge! This thing has blistering fast multi-app processing power!

Cons (and the reason for 4 stars): The biggest drawback for me is the 1TB HDD, as it is slow (5400 RPM). For this reason alone Windows Experience Index rated it a 5.9. All other ratings were mid to upper 7's. Shame on you Asus. For $130 buy a 128GB SSD from Amazon and up your computing potential. Just use the 1TB as a slave. It is bulky, but to be expected as it is a gaming lappy. Good luck trying to find a case that fits it.Lastly the power brick is enormous and the battery is lucky to give you 1.5 hrs unplugged. Again, this is a gaming laptop so this is to be expected.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION
Screen Size 17.3 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1920*1080 pixels
Processor 2.4 GHz Core i7-3630QM
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 750 GB
Graphics Coprocessor Nvidia GTX 660M 2G GDDR5
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 4
Average Battery Life (in hours) 2 hours
Expand
Other Technical Details
Brand Name Asus
Series G75VW
Item model number G75VW-AH71
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 8
Item Weight 8.7 pounds
Item Dimensions L x W x H 16.30 x 0.90 x 12.60 inches
Processor Brand Intel
Processor Count 1
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type DL DVD±RW/CD-RW
Power Source Battery
Batteries: 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

Brynn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
-Brand: Samsung
-Model: ATIV Book 7
-CPU: i5
-GPU: Radeon 8500M HD
-Resolution: 1920x1080, 13.3"
-RAM: 4GB
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Work/personal
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 6-7h (wifi) / 9-10h (no wifi)

I would give it a 10 if it wasn't for the stupid Catalyst Center crashing all the time and f*cking up my screen brightness controls. This seems to have been a common problem for years, I have read similar complaints from 2011 on all kinds of laptops with Radeon cards. Maybe it's time AMD did something about it???

However it's not a dealbraker. In all other respects the laptop is great.
+ Battery: It lasts for ages. With wifi on, installing and uninstalling games, updating to Win8.1 over wifi etc. I couldn't kill it in 5 hours. With normal usage (wifi/videos) it lasts for over 6h. Without wifi it lasts for 9-10h easily. Takes about 2.5h to charge (while being used).
+ Keyboard/touchpad: best I've ever tried. The keys are so light, it feels like I'm typing on clouds! Also very nice in size, comfy, well placed, the secondary controls (sound, keyboard backlight, etc.) are easy to find and use.
+ Responsive touchscreen.
+ Super easy to carry around: it's only 1.5kg and is as large as an A4/letter sheet.
+ Crystal clear display: I was surprised how nice the display is, it's sharp as a retina display and you can decrease font size on menus etc to the minimum you can still see everything clearly due to the nice resolution.
+ Workmanship: overall it's a very well made laptop, with a sturdy, elegant case. I like that it doesn't look overly fancy or ostentatious, but you can tell it's not your average plastic notebook that bends everywhere. Clean, elegant desing. Comes in two colours: metal ash black (dark blueish metal) and silver metal.
+ Decent speakers.
+ Extremely silent due to SSD, you can't hear anything even if you listen closely.
+ Excellent thermal system: even after 5-6h usage you can barely detect any heating on the bottom.
- What I mentioned above: the screen brightness controls stop working when you switch between power plans (high performance to balanced, for example). There appears to be no solution for this problem yet. It's not really Samsung's fault though, you might run into this problem with any other laptop with a Radeon card.

bllizzard91

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
-Brand: MSI
-Model: GT-70 2OD
-Bought From/Price: Newegg Price $2399
-CPU: Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz or 3.4 GHz Turbo)
-GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB DDR5
-Resolution: 1920x1080
-RAM: 24GB @ 1600Mhz
-HDD: 2x128GB SSDs + 1 TB HDD
-ROM: BD Burner
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Gaming, Photo and Video Editing, Coding and Running Memory hogging apps
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): About 2 Hours of gaming, On battery saver mode ~ 4 hours
-Your Rating (out of 10): 10/10
REF http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152396
http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT70-2OD.html#overview

Amazing laptop, been using it a lot. Only beef you would have with it would be the weight...it is heavy! but i love it. I got a Targus Demolition Pack(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=03V-005H-00075) which is big enough to carry my laptop and Cooling Pad(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834982203), and then leave some room for my books and bicycle ulock. I bike to college so this huge thing adds to my workout which is awesome for me. The audio quality will blow your mind, speakers are really loud and crystal clear quality. Needless to say the graphics card is awesome, playing Battlefield 4 on Ultra Settings @70FPS. The keyboard is full with numpad, like a regular keyboard which is one of my requirements, since i didnt want a small laptop keyboard. The customisable backlight on keyboard is nifty. The touchpad is nice and responsive. There is a small touchpad disable button for disabling the touchpad when u type which is really helpful. The touchpad also supports multi-touch pinch to zoom stuff, two finger scroll, etc which is helpful when i read ebooks. The laptop boots up really fast cause of the SSDs. Had to remove a few bloatware apps from MSI but the hybrid power app is really nice and i kept it. The only down thing is that the hand rests next to the keyboard/touchpad are glossy so they might get sweaty and dirty so gotta keep it dry and clean. All in all really nice laptop if you can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.