Official Laptops Review Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kalford4891

Prominent
May 13, 2017
-Brand: MSI
-Model: GT73VR 6RE
-Bought From/Price: Amazon for £1899
-CPU: Intel 6th Gen i7 6820HK
-GPU: NVidia 1070 8GB
-Resolution: 1920 x 1080
-RAM: 32GB DDR4
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…): Gaming, Internet, Office Apps and working from home
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): Unknown, I always used the laptop whilst plugged in
-Your Rating (out of 10): 7.5

Additional comments: This is a great laptop but unfortunately I had a few issues with build quality in my one. I had problems with a small amount of backlight bleeding on the monitor, the keyboard had severe problems with some of the key registrations - particularly the spacebar which had about a 33% key registration chance, the power cable was loose and kept falling out with movement and the NVidia 1070 was a pain to get to work then still crashed in a couple of specific games (mainly StarCraft 2) even after all the workarounds and updates were done. Unfortunately I ended up returning my laptop and replacing it with a slightly newer model from MSI which seems much better so far.

Despite the problems above, the laptop was great. The sound was brilliant once it was set up properly (which took a while but was partly my own fault for not expecting 2.0 laptop speakers to need to be set up in software as 5.1 to work properly). The performance was great for a laptop too. I previously had a MSI gaming laptop with a 980M in it (also reviewed on this thread) and this was so much better for only a little more in price. It was also relatively quiet when gaming which was nice and only became audible when games were really pushing it to it's limits. Sure the laptop could be thinner and quieter than it is, but personally I don't travel with this laptop and only use it in one place at home, so that doesn't bother me so much. I've also owned far louder desktop PC's in the past, so the noise doesn't bother me so much. If it hadn't been for the few problems I had listed above, I would have really liked this laptop a lot.

The one thing I really wish MSI would change is the keyboard layout. This was my second MSI gaming laptop and the non-standard keyboard layout still drives me crazy at times, particularly the single row enter key and where some of the symbol keys are moved from where they are on a normal keyboard. The only other thing that bothered me was that it lacked a Blu-ray drive when my previous MSI gaming laptop (GT72S) had one but this laptop wasn't noticeable lighter, thinner or quieter without one. Bring back the Blu-ray drives MSI!

I would have given this a 8.5 out of 10 if it hadn't been for the build quality issues in my particular laptop.

Mar 26, 2018
-Brand: Dell
-Model: Inspiron 7577
-Bought From/Price: retail store
-CPU: Intel 7th Gen i5 7300hq
-GPU: NVidia gtx 1060 maxq
-Resolution: 1920 x 1080
-RAM: 8GB DDR4
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…)
-Real World Battery Life (in your estimation): 7 hrs of browsing 4hrs of HD video playback 3 hrs of 1080p Nvidia optimized gaming
-Your Rating (out of 10): 8

Dec 7, 2018
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-cx0143tx FHD Laptop (8th Gen i7-8750H/8GB DDR4/1TB HDD/16GB Optane/NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB Graphics/Win 10/MS Home & Office 2016) Shadow Black.

The HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop is designed so you’ll be able to excel at any task. Gaming. Creation. Entertainment. An Intel Core processor and discrete graphics work together to jumpstart the whole lot you do. Don’t settle for average performance. Prepare yourself for a new level of power.
Up to date 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor(2.2 GHz base frequency, As much as 4.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Spice up Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)
NVIDIA geforce GTX 1050Ti graphics (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated); turn your laptop into a powerhouse for visually demanding apps. NVIDIA Pascal and game able technologies drive the Up to date games of their full glory
15.6-inch diagonal Full HD (1920×1080) IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit Display; enjoy vibrant, crystal-clear images with 178-degree wide-viewing angles
8GB DDR4 SDRAM; designed to run more efficiently and more reliably at faster speeds
16 GB Intel Optane Memory | 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA; fast boot up times, snappy responsiveness, and large storage capacity
As much as 11 hours and 30 minutes (mixed usage), As much as 8 hours and 15 minutes (video playback); with a lithium-ion polymer battery, get the skinny device you need without sacrificing battery life
Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Operating System | Windows 10 Place of business Home & Student 2016 Pre-included
Intel wireless-AC 9560 802.11ac (2×2) Wi-Fi and bluetooth 5 Combo

[link removed]

Jan 29, 2019

Hi,

I have an Asus U46SV laptop which I think is about 5 years old now. Specs are as follows:
i5-2410m
8 GB RAM
Win 10 Enterprise
Cucial m500 480gb SSD
Geforce 540m

The battery has passed is prime. Even if I don't open for a few months, it drains. The PC has been upgraded from 7 to 10. However, when I visit some websites (example steam), the pc fan spins loud and even when the forum page is loading, it is slow. I think the laptop specs are decent for what it is. I have reformatted it to windows 10 recently since I thought it was slow. There are no additional software slowing it down. Since I cannot game new titles and it is quite slow on it, this is my backup work computer which I open about once a month. However, how to tell how slow is my laptop?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.