old 2010 i7 laptop or new i3?

legende

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
Newegg has HP Elitebook 8440p i7-640M for $299

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=9SIA6A320W5300 .

For the price and if I have a budget up to $350, is it better to buy a newer Haswell i3 instead? Especially if I wanted HDMI graphics. I would like to downgrade whatever laptop to Windows 7 anyway.

Can't find a site right now that will compare the 2 processors, generically. I don't know enough about cpu architecture to make a decission.

Thanks.

Solution
IMHO - no question you should go with the newer haswell i3.

the i7-640M is a dual core with HT and the new i3 is also dual core but is much more efficient in terms of power usage and performance/clock.

So while it might be a trade-off in terms of overall CPU performance - the new i3 will use significantly less power than the old i7 - so for a mobile solution (aka running on battery) I would definitely go for the haswell part.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
IMHO - no question you should go with the newer haswell i3.

the i7-640M is a dual core with HT and the new i3 is also dual core but is much more efficient in terms of power usage and performance/clock.

So while it might be a trade-off in terms of overall CPU performance - the new i3 will use significantly less power than the old i7 - so for a mobile solution (aka running on battery) I would definitely go for the haswell part.

Solution

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
^ that said - if will always be plugged into the wall and the battery life is not a concern (nor the fact that it could be using a 4 year old battery) then the cheaper/old i7 is not a bad option.

legende

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014

Thank you for the quick responses by the way. Will go with the old one for now as it will be used mostly at home anyway. But, I like your other response as well.