Old pair of Sennheiser HD 535s, looking for more info

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

I was at my parents house over the weekend and stuffed away in a box I found these really old Sennheiser HD 535s, which had been sitting for well over 15 years and still in great condition. I only know of the current Sennheiser range, so I don't know about the older stuff. Its the HD series, so its got the open acoustic design. I plugged them into my desktop amp and they sound really good.

The question I have is, is there anything special about them? I couldn't find much info on Google due to how old they are. Are old headphones like these considered collectible by audiophiles or am I alright to use them as a backup pair?

Thanks

Solution
I have a pair of 555s... I do audio mixing and production and use them for clean, open mixing when i'm not doing it on my studio monitors. They are nothing special so far as collectible, AFAIK, but they are good for flat, accurate music listening, as they do not color or boost frequencies in the sound... which most people don't understand if they do not work with music production. They are prob worth abt $100... you can find more expensive stuff and cans with all the bells and whistles and 'the name' but these are just good listening hps. Grado is a co that makes cans for accurate listening and music mixing... in the same league are good Sony's, AKG, and Beyerdynamic have other popular mixing phones.

maarkr

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I have a pair of 555s... I do audio mixing and production and use them for clean, open mixing when i'm not doing it on my studio monitors. They are nothing special so far as collectible, AFAIK, but they are good for flat, accurate music listening, as they do not color or boost frequencies in the sound... which most people don't understand if they do not work with music production. They are prob worth abt $100... you can find more expensive stuff and cans with all the bells and whistles and 'the name' but these are just good listening hps. Grado is a co that makes cans for accurate listening and music mixing... in the same league are good Sony's, AKG, and Beyerdynamic have other popular mixing phones.

Solution

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks, I will put them in a case and hold onto them as a backup for my Beyerdynamic DT770s. Switching back and forth between the 535s and the 770s I can definitely hear what you are saying in terms of a flat response. The 770s feel more punchy where the 535s are more calm.