Solved! OLED v QLED v LED TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2019
I recently bought a SAMSUNG 55" Q60 4K UHD Smart QLED TV. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with this television, watching films is bad, but sport is atrocious and these are the two main things I watch.

The judder is awful if not in Movie mode, but even then it’s not great, and the blur is constant, whether it’s a blur in and out of focus, or a foreground or background blur, or just when something is far away. By far the worst effect is the “soap opera effect” when the film ends-up looking like a daytime soap (hyper-realistic). Again Movie mode helps with this, but then we’re left with a dull, and still often blurry picture. I have no idea why someone would recommend this television to anyone.

The Samsung technician came over earlier and said the issue is that none of the programs are being broadcast in 4K, but is this right, surely it would just mean that the picture isn’t any better, it wouldn’t make it worse? I’m thinking it’s to do with it being QLED?

The store has kindly agreed to offer me a refund, and I am going in this weekend to get a replacement set, but have no idea which to get.

What is causing the issue please, is it the 4K, the QLED, or a combination of the two? I want to avoid the same issue when buying a replacement set and so hoped people had some advice for me please?

Solution
You can reduce or eliminate the soap opera effect by turning off all or most of the video processing in the TV menu. This may help
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled/settings
QLED and LED TVs both use LCD display panels. Both TVs use LEDs to light up the panel. If that panel doesn't have a fast enough response time they have to come up with fixes. The problems you mention are related to video processing in compensating.
Channels on cable or broadcast are usually 1080i (NOT 1080p). For motion 720p is better but requires more bandwidth so is much less common.
If the upscaling to 4k is compromised it introduces artifacts.
In computer terms the video card sucks.
OLED TVs are completely different. No LCD panel...
You can reduce or eliminate the soap opera effect by turning off all or most of the video processing in the TV menu. This may help
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled/settings
QLED and LED TVs both use LCD display panels. Both TVs use LEDs to light up the panel. If that panel doesn't have a fast enough response time they have to come up with fixes. The problems you mention are related to video processing in compensating.
Channels on cable or broadcast are usually 1080i (NOT 1080p). For motion 720p is better but requires more bandwidth so is much less common.
If the upscaling to 4k is compromised it introduces artifacts.
In computer terms the video card sucks.
OLED TVs are completely different. No LCD panel. Organic LEDs produce the actual picture (like an mini Jumbotron). No question they produce a more accurate picture although the maximum brightness is usually lower.
IMO Sony has the best video processing available. Their Master series OLEDs are fantastic but pricey. The next step down isn't OLED but does have pretty good processing. LG has some lower prices OLED TVs so check those out too.

Solution
Jul 23, 2019
That’s great, many thanks. So you’d recommend a Sony OLED, but if too expensive then a Sony LED or LG OLED. You say the 4K won’t matter? So I could get 4K or less and there won’t really be much of a difference?

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks, that was out of our budget, we ended up getting a Sony 55" X8000G 4K UHD Smart LED TV. It was cheaper than the original Samsung, and we're very happy with the picture quality. It's not as fancy and the remote is nowhere near as nice, slick and easy to use as the Samsung, but the picture quality takes precedence and we're very happy. Thanks for all your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.