One Third of Teens Admit to Driving Intexticated

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Since they actually are taking your eyes off the road for extended periods of time. I would rather take my chances with someone whom just drank 8 or 10 beers rather than someone texting while driving.[/citation]

Well, in that case, you are an idiot. You see if I drink 8 or 10 beers I am probably quite drunk and when I get into the car I'm going to still be quite drunk. When I am texting while driving I can very easily put my phone down and stop texting when I get on the highway or in traffic. I can't put down my drunkenness or stop being drunk just because my speed is increasing. I'm still drunk.

So while you get into the car of the drunk I'll get into the car of the texter. I'll snatch his phone out of his hands or tell him to stop texting, you're driver will continue to be drunk.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]snurp85[/nom]Studies have shown texting while driving is almost 3 times more dangerous than driving drunk. I think it should be illegal, especially for teens who barely know how to drive in the first place. Though I have to admit I have read texts a few times while driving, but its always 2 or 3 words at a time so that i can focus on the road.[/citation]
Studies have shown that if you're the unlucky one to be affected by a distracted driver (texting, drunk, high, etc) then it makes no difference what the stats are. It is well known that nearly all accidents are caused by distracted drivers. Period. That's the only thing you need to know, and those "2 or 3 words" might mean the one second between making the right choice or the wrong choice while driving.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]are teen that idiots or simply unaware of what they are doing.....pretty sad[/citation]

You sir, are that idiots.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]snurp85[/nom]Studies have shown texting while driving is almost 3 times more dangerous than driving drunk. ... Though I have to admit I have read texts a few times while driving, but its always 2 or 3 words at a time so that i can focus on the road.[/citation]

You are part of the problem and should be heavily fined.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]Intexticated??? Really???[/citation]
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Intexticated is a perfectly cromulent word![/citation]

Cromulent??? Really???

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]...and when one of those 'intexticated' drivers hits you?[/citation]

Im getting out of my F150 and stab the poor sucker to death, if he is still alive that is.

Common isnt natural selection beautiful?

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]papasmurf[/nom]if only there were a device that would allow you to communicate with your voice - that would be safer[/citation]
It's called a cell phone :p Or a Blutooth headset.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Im getting out of my F150 and stab the poor sucker to death, if he is still alive that is.Common isnt natural selection beautiful?[/citation]

Then he will climb out of his F1500 and shoot you down with an AA-12 as soon as he sees you take the knife out.

Yes, natural selection sure is beautiful...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
having just completed being a teenager, I think military service should be compulsory from the age of 13 to 18. I mean they spend most of their time stuck in school anyway, they could still be taught, this way they don't get to spend their little spare time being idiots. I mean, when was the last time a teenager did anything productive anyway?

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
i have just started driving w/ my temps (must have a parent in the car till 16) and i could never fathom texting and driving. I can hardly talk and drive lol, i start veering (to the center unfortunately).

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I think there needs to be a distinction made about the whole texting while driving thing. Are some of these teen drivers texting only while at a stop light and thinking that counts? If so, then the poll results will be overstated.I do it all the time. At a stop light, I will send a lengthy text. On a straight section of highway with no traffic and no other cars near me, I'll send a quick text response like, "Kk". Never in traffic, on city or residential streets, or on curved roads. I don't see a problem with that. I'm also opposed to special laws against texting while driving. There are plenty of laws in existance to deal with distracted drivers and drivers who are all over the road. Anymore, these laws are more about revenue generation than about public safety.Anyway, that's my confession. I'm sure a lot of people here do similar things but won't admit to them for fear of being neg-voted... so neg-vote away.[/citation]

I do it at stop lights or to read them real fast. No harm done. I don't do it in any situation that requires my attention on the road though. IMO it would have to be , from my experience, pretty fucking difficult to hit someone while texting because you should be programmed by that point to watch the road in front of you should you be in any situation that calls for it.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I'll admit I'm guilty of doing this, but at least I'm smart about it. The real killer is not keeping an eye on the road and it seems that most people who drive while "intexticated" aren't keeping their eyes on the road. I, however, use that same technique that the kid's dad used (using my knees (only because I have a Motorola Q9C which has a full keyboard)) but also I never look away from the road. If people can't manage to txt without having to look at the screen to make sure they didn't make any mistakes, then they most certainly shouldn't be driving. I can type page long txts without making mistakes and without looking at the screen and I even have a full keyboard so there are more ways to make mistakes.

G

Texting is not that bad, ... I mean how can I text and still hold a beer at the same time right?

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Natural selection, let it be.[/citation]

You do realize this endangers more than just the idiot who is texting?

inmytaxi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
So long as people don't use drugs, they can put OTHER people's lives at risk.

Just don't do anything to endanger yourself, that's illegal.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]amdgamer666[/nom]I'll admit I'm guilty of doing this, but at least I'm smart about it. The real killer is not keeping an eye on the road and it seems that most people who drive while "intexticated" aren't keeping their eyes on the road. I, however, use that same technique that the kid's dad used (using my knees (only because I have a Motorola Q9C which has a full keyboard)) but also I never look away from the road. If people can't manage to txt without having to look at the screen to make sure they didn't make any mistakes, then they most certainly shouldn't be driving. I can type page long txts without making mistakes and without looking at the screen and I even have a full keyboard so there are more ways to make mistakes.[/citation]
LOL good one....oh you were serious???

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
A few things irritate me instantly from the instant i see them happening.
Examples:
Hair in food

Dudes laying a hand on a woman

Cockroach any close to me ( nasty ass things.. )

My router's ligth not flickering where says "Online"

My bitchy younger spoiled fluffy cat being in heat and mewing all over the
balcony at nights asking to get laid like a 5$ hoe, not letting me sleep

Driver with a cellphone or makeup in the freaking car
And so on...

( BTw its illegal here in Greece to have a cellphone in use in car period, but we barely have anyone checking on us in the streets. Its like a free for all deal. In CA i remember very well I almost got a ticket for crossing th street without a green light on foot my first day when I had moved there. lol Stupid thing :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.