OnePlus 5 Could Give Galaxy S8 a Run for Its Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossvxm

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Why no Xiaomi Mi Mix mention? I know it isn't at all officially available in North America, but it is still worth mentioning. I own one and love it, although I admit that the S8 has better sides and a slimmer feel. Just make sure to skip it for any camera reviews.

Linked_1

Honorable
May 21, 2017
As great as the one plus is, it's still a basic stock android device regardless of its specs. The reason why flagships like the iPhone 7, LG G6 and the Galaxy S8 command all the attention and it's price tag is that they offer much more refined software - hardware integration. Stock Android is a great platform but beyond basic smart phone functionality regardless of the hardware it's shoe horned into, it can't compete with flagship devices because the capabilties are too limited. Look at the tepid demand for the Google pixel. It was known as the most "meh" flagship ever created. The tech media tried to hype it up but no matter how much they tried the majority of the public are too savvy. Besides the camera stabilization, there was nothing to hype.

Compared to the pixel, the S7 has a much more competent vr solution, much better optimized audio, a universal contact payment system and universal wireless charging, Knox and all its optimizations and feature, a health and the s apps which provide a full featured solution for everything Google offers sans the usage tracking, and pages and pages more features and capabilties than stock android can offer even with rooting and modding. The pro audio capabilties of galaxy devices alone can replace hundreds of dollars worth of pro audio equipment. It can even run exclusive iOS pro audio apps which could be strung together with sound camp. The pixel can't even process volume normalization for local audio playback.

The one plus as a stock android based device makes a lot more sense considering the price but let's get real. It's no flag ship killer, unless you have no idea what flag ships offer.

Korey_4

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017
Linked_1, I'm a Pixel user, and I don't know what you're talking about. My wife had the S7, and the Pixel was much better. I've had an iPhone 6S+ (two actually, the second after two weeks because the phone was messing up), and a slew of Galaxy phones from S2-S6. The Pixel walks away like the Golden State Warrios vs the Cavaliers this year. It takes better pictures, is more responsive, the fingerprint sensor worked much quicker. So to call it "meh" is just silly. Did I also mention it didn't have redundant apps, and a ridiculous amount of bloatware? That I can delete anything on the phone?

Also, this is the first time Google has really had it's hands in every aspect of the phone, unlike the Nexus. I think the Pixel 2 will see a large leap in capability as well.

As far as audio goes...who uses their phone to "replace hundreds of dollars worth of pro audio equipment". One, there is no way any mobile unit can real-time, replace that much audio equipment (if any), but two, who uses their phone for playback like that? You know bluetooth speakers exist right? I don't want my phone to be my home sterio. It's annoying enough that nobody knows how to hold the phone up to their ear, instead of incessantly using speaker phone, or going to the gym and somebody blasting their music instead of using headphones. Ridiculous.

G

I mean, I might look at the OnePlus, but that's probably because I actually want to take my phone on the plane in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.