Onkyo...Laptop stereo, everything else 5.1

Oquinncy

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Ok,

So today i replaced my blown Pioneer VSX-323 for an Onkyo
TX-NR656.

Got home, set it up which was really nice, the full screen dedicated menu system was self explanatory.

I thought i had everythig running perfect until i noticed something with the surround sound..

I have a ps3,ps4 and my laptop running to my amp then to my tv all HDMI, ive tested all modes on ps3 which are great, also the ps4 which was great but when using the laptop on youtube it was only playing through the front speakers..... I assumed it was just youtube/specific video only outputting stero but then when i streamed the same youtube video over bluetooth on the amp it was sorround sound....., then i thought maybe its The laptop but when playing certain movies files on the laptop it would switch to surround sound....

Really frustrating, been trying for hours just cant seem to get it on sorroung sound... lets say the youtube video/s were not sorround sound (which it is as ive mentioned before i have streamed the same video url through bluetooth & airdrop both giving sorround sound) , I thought one or two of the listening modes would force a "fake" sorround sound which it isnt even doing.... help haha

i run a receiver in a similar setup (but desktop not laptop).

youtube is never surround sound as its not recorded as such. if you swap your receiver to prologic or similar (fake surround) setting it should play over all speakers and fake the surround that is not present originally. many movies are recorded surround which is why it works fine there.

i dont see any odd behavior from what you've said.

Oquinncy

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah I see what you are saying, but what im saying is, on pc input (which is my laptop) a particular music video i like will only play on the front speakers, the only listening mode that puts it on all speakers in stereo is "allchannel".... but when I play the same music video (same url link) from my phone via bluetooth or airdrop using tbe youtube app on my phone the sorround sound listening modes work and i get "surround sound".....

Oquinncy

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I actually accidently selected you as best solution ssddx haha imeant to reply.

I have already done the firmware update, and i have had DTS NEUTRAL X when using my PS4.... just cant get any of the fake sorrounds on youtube on my laptop, but remember my pc will swap over to dts and dolby (real as i get the red dolby digital and red dts icon on display) when i play some downloaded movie files