Online cloud streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi!

I currently have my mouse hovering over the 32gb Nexus 5 (Figurativly speaking of course) as I have decided I want to purchase one for myself. However, I am in a bit of a predicament. First of all, let me give you a bit of background info: (The actual question is highlighted in bold, however I believe the below info is relevant.)

I currenty have a 24 month contract with Three Mobile of which I am 12 months in as of the 17th November. I have Samsung Galaxy S3 on this contract, Non LTE, with 16gb of storage. This contract is the One Plan, with unlimited data.

Three have announced that when they release 4G (Sometime in December I believe, but I could be wrong) any existing Three customers will be able to use 4G completely free. Providing they have a 4G device of course.

While I only have 16gb of internal storage in my S3, I also have a 32gb SD card which I use to store all my music, photo's and movies. And for this reason I find 16gb to be ample. However, as I'm sure you are all aware the Nexus 5 (or indeed any of the Nexus devices) does not have an SD slot.

Now, as I like to have music and movies on my mobile for convinience, I will obviously not be able to store much on a 16gb N5 along with all the apps and such. So I am planning on getting the 32gb model instead. However, while I have not personally used the clous much, I am open to the concept and am willing to use it if it is beneficial.

So, my question is, does Google Drive, which is free for Google account holders, allow you to stream videos and music, or do you have to download it instead? If you can only download it, is there a way (e.g. an app) that would allow you to do so, or are there any eqivalent paid or unpaid cloud servies that will allow streaming?

If there is nothing like this available then I will have to go with the 32gb model, for obvious reasons, however if streaming is possible, I will just get the 16gb model. Data usage is not an issue, as I have unlimited data, and speed SHOULDNT be an issue as I will have 4G access when Three release it.

Also, I understand that 4G comes in different bandwidths, and you have to make sure you get a 4g device to match your carriers 4g bandwidth. I'm sure I read somewhere that Three will be using all 3 bandwidths, so therefore I should be able to get the N5 and not have to worry about this. Am I right? Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance for any replies, speedy ones would be most appreciated as I am littery going to order my N5 today. =)

DComander1x

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

AFAIK, google drive is just for documents, and anything you get from google directly. I highly suggest getting a home cloud / NAS unit or using an old computer with FreeNAS to offload your files on a home network, using wifi.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for your reply!

Ok, understood. I'm sure I heard about an app that allows you to do so, maybe I misheard. =)

Unfortunately setting up a home cloud network is not feasible at the moment. Besides the initial setting up costs of such a device (Which are minimal admittadly) I am currently living with my parents, dont judge, and my dads a bit of an arse. He doesnt like me leaving my PC switched on at the socket when im not using it, so I doubt he would be willing to let me leave a cloud device on all the time, even if it low powered. =(

Are there any other equivalent cloud services that offer streaming?

DComander1x

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

You can always plug in the device into a surge protector and switch the surge protector off when your not using it, should work fine when you power it up again - I have a simular situation with my parents, lol.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Good idea, I'll have to have a look into that. =)

But a dedicated online cloud service would be preferable, as im sure you can understand. Ill have to have a look around. I suppose if push comes to shove I can still use Google Drive or equivalent to store the files and then just download them as and when I want them. With a 4G connection it shouldnt be too much trouble I would have thought. (He says, knowing he just jinxed the hell out of that sentence.)

DComander1x

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, its easier, but with that comes the issue of data security & privacy - would you want to trust a company with your files, or would you want to host the files yourself and not have to worry about some company occasionally peeking at your files, or worrying about them being stolen. Call me paranoid, but in this day and age, you can only trust yourself and your family and very close friends, unfortunately.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
For data protection, yes, a self built cloud device is the safer option, the safest being local storage of course. But even with that, it still uses teh internet, and as you know, anything that uses the internet is not 100% safe.

This does not apply to me personally though, as I would only be using the cloud for photo's, movies and music. I would never keep personal files or information on the web, I only ever store these kind of things either as hard copies in paper form or as protected documents on an encrypted, hidden hard drive partition.

DComander1x

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

Ah, alright, then an online service might be a good option.
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-cloud-storage-providers-614393607
EDIT: seems like google drive does allow for storage

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the link, I'll look at all 5 of those options in Greater detail later on. After a quick scan though it seems that none of them offer streaming services. Maybe this simply doesn't exist yet? I'll have to have a look around at a few other 'unconventional' ways of doing this, if you know what I mean. =)

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Well for music you are going about it the wrong way. With any android device if you have unlmited data you should just use Google Music.

You can add(upload) up to 20,000 songs (up to 300MB per song) to Google Play Music from your personal music collection using Googles Desktop Music Manager Software. Once you've added your music through Music Manager, you can listen to it through the Google Play Music app and on your computer as well for free. Thats Steaming to your phone, not listening to music stored on your phone. (which is what your looking for.)

And DropBox will stream Video. Possibly even music but since I have all my music spread over three google accounts. I have everything uploaded to Google Music and I stream from there.

Dropbox you can get up to 50GB for free depending on phone type and different promotions they have going on. If no promotion then you can get up to 16GB for free.
(Promotion example is new Samsung devices get up to 50GB) Nexus devices usually have some promotional size for free as well (i believe it was 25GB for last nexus)
You may have to send a few invites out to get those Last couple of GB but if you have multiple emails like most people then that shouldn't be a problem.

With dropbox you can upload your videos and basically it will stream and play anything your phone is capable of playing.

Direct from dropbox android help section

"You'll have the best conversion results if you meet the criteria of your mobile device. For example, the Dropbox Android application can play any video your mobile device can handle. The Android OS can play H.263 .3gp and .mp4 files, H.264 AVC .3gp and .mp4 files, and MPEG-4 SP .3gp files. Some features, like screen size and memory, vary from device to device. You might be able to contact your phone's user manual or help documentation for more specifics."

https://www.dropbox.com/help/83/en

Hope this helps all FREE! and the nexus will probably come with both apps pre installed.

Also if you do the math per google account you have a maximum allocated space of just under 6TB (5.8TB) for music storage if each of your 20,000 songs was 300MB a piece. (1GB = 1024MB)

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

Thanks for your detailed reply! This really helps alot!

I wasnt aware that you could upload your own music to Google Music, I thought you could only listen to music you have bought. =P So thanks very much for that valuble piece of information! I think I may have to do what you have done and create several accounts however, as I have 2 x 3tb HDD's full of music (Although I dont think I have many songs that go over 200mb, let alone 300mb!). Lol. Although I probably wont bother uplaoding all of it.

I actually tried uploading a video to DropBox last night (Took forever) and playing it on my tablet, but for some reason the video quality was terrible! IT was an episode of American Dad, not sure what resolution, but is was an .mp4 and when I played it on my PC (Through the dropbox program) the video quality was fine? Is there something Im missing here? If I can get teh video quality thing sorted out I wont mind paying for extra space on dropbox, as I also have a substantial collection of movies and tv shows that I would like to have 24 hour access to.

Thanks for all your help!

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Quick question are you streaming from the Dropbox app, or are you using your browser and going to the Dropbox website and trying to stream. On mobile devices streaming from the asp is vastly better. also if possible check streaming quality on Wi-Fi, vs Cellular (3G/4G) connections.

Depending on your connection speed your video quality bit rate will be higher are lower.

If the video only sucks on 3G, then it's just a connection speed issue which probably won't be resolved until you get 4G with your service.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

I'm afraid I can't actually remember right now (It's been a long day =P) but as soon as I get home I'll check it out and post a reply. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.