OnLive Founder: We've Broken Shannon's Law

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I'm not going to call shenanigans right now, I'm certainly remaining skeptical until he has his work published and peer reviewed / demoed. I'm guessing that he is just working around the theorem, not breaking it per se.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have a question "possibly even eliminating wired connections altogether"anyone here not have a land line at all? i mean for emergancys, like a 911. the last thing i would ever want is to call 911 from a cellphone if ANY other method is possible, because not every 911 call center can triangulate your position, or lets say you are in an apartment, they cant get the triangle to be accurate enough. lets say you slip, have a slight fall, but you fell onto a glass, and that glass cut your neck to the point you cant really talk, and if you release the pressure, you will die from bleeding out (happed to a relative of mine, they were drunk, but lived). do you want them to find you as fast as possible in that situation, you have to use a land line. you dont cellphone that. i will ALWAYS have a land line (and 1 trackphone for car emergency use) till they day they dont offer it for that reason.[/citation]

I don't know anyone under the age of 40 that has a land line. Sure, sometimes my cell phone doesn't get a signal, but unless those times are in my house (never) then there is no need for a land line. How often does your cell phone have no battery (for me, less than once a year) AND your power is out in your house? I wouldn't have a land line in my house even if it was free. Its not worth the space a phone would take up. Cell phones even give priority to emergency calls if their towers are overload, though I've never heard of a tower being overloaded where I live.

So in short, if you live in an area with an intermittent signal, then a land line is probably a good idea, even without needing to make emergency calls. Otherwise don't bother.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
@m3 I'm not gonna get to much into that.. But it's not natural selection.. And I seriously doubt you would actually refuse surgery if it meant saving your life or your kids which I doubt you have. Now as far as being old I do agree with you there.. I don't want to live any longer if it means somebody else has to take care of me.

As far as the tech, believe it when I see it.. And if it does manage to come out probably be around 50-60 lol.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]You can't break a theorem, he's certainly misusing/misinterpreting it.[/citation]

A theorem is only a theorem until it is dis-proven.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]anyone here not have a land line at all?[/citation]

Nope. Well technically I do have phone service with my cable company, but only because it was cheaper to get the "triple play" than just getting Internet and TV. I don't even own a phone to plug into it though. But for 911 the cable's phone service isn't the best anyway as it doesn't even function when the power is out. Don't have to worry about that with a cell phone. Plus if you're at home, chances are your cell phone is connected with Wi-Fi, and that can offer another method for 911 to track your location (unless, of course the power is out).
When reading your justifcation for keeping a land line just for 911, I had to wonder... how many calls do you place to 911? If like most people, almost never, that's going to rack up to a really expensive 911 call when you factor in the expense of your land line over time... just to make that one call.

G

Lol, when that one call can mean life or death it's not hard to figure out why one would want to pay for it...

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have a question "possibly even eliminating wired connections altogether"anyone here not have a land line at all? i mean for emergancys, like a 911. the last thing i would ever want is to call 911 from a cellphone if ANY other method is possible, because not every 911 call center can triangulate your position, or lets say you are in an apartment, they cant get the triangle to be accurate enough. lets say you slip, have a slight fall, but you fell onto a glass, and that glass cut your neck to the point you cant really talk, and if you release the pressure, you will die from bleeding out (happed to a relative of mine, they were drunk, but lived). do you want them to find you as fast as possible in that situation, you have to use a land line. you dont cellphone that. i will ALWAYS have a land line (and 1 trackphone for car emergency use) till they day they dont offer it for that reason.[/citation]

Sorry but I dont think I am going to pay $40 a month just in case I slip and fall on a piece of glass that happens to cut my throat in the exact way to make it impossible to talk. You silly mother fucker

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]That's a bit narrow minded. Theorems can and have been broken in the past. Having said that i don't know enough about this particular theorem to really comment. Just that, if it's something new, don't discredit it the first time over.[/citation]Theories are broken, theorems are already mathematically proven.

I'm not saying this stuff can't be done, all I'm saying is that he is probably using the theorem in a fallacious way (i.e. applying the theorem assuming certain required pre-conditions are satisfied, when in fact they are not. It's a common mistake when using theorems.).

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]anyone here not have a land line at all? i mean for emergancys, like a 911. the last thing i would ever want is to call 911 from a cellphone if ANY other method is possible, because not every 911 call center can triangulate your position[/citation]

You remember about 10 years ago when customers were forced to stop using analog cell phones? That wasn't just so your provided could better use that bandwidth, all digital cell phones know exactly where they are as long as they are on. By the time you hit send, we know where you are, how long you've been there, and which direction (if any) you are moving.

Cellular phones cannot have their lines cut from the side of your house/under the ground/on the telephone pole. Cellular phones don't require a constant electrical connection to work properly, so they will work if the power is out. If your house is on fire, don't forget to call 911 on your land line before escaping. The list of pro's outweighs by far the imaginary list of con's, unless your a tinfoil hat kinda person.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i'm impressed with it's range. it more then doubles microwave transmission from tower to tower which is the backbone of AT&T's network.
this is why the u.s. government hasn't mandated new communication lines since bell telephone.
if they had done this with fiber it'd be obsolete in less then a decade wasting billions or a trillion dollars in tax payer subsidy.
all the markets are turning on their heads due to new tech. and people banking on current tech are the ones losing millions and billions based on that kind of thinking.
can't wait for obama's re-election. i hope this tech comes into his debates " mr president, do you feel justified in wasting billions of tax payer subsidies to telecoms to 'bring the internet to remote areas' with the recent innovation of DIDO?"

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]You remember about 10 years ago when customers were forced to stop using analog cell phones? That wasn't just so your provided could better use that bandwidth, all digital cell phones know exactly where they are as long as they are on. By the time you hit send, we know where you are, how long you've been there, and which direction (if any) you are moving.Cellular phones cannot have their lines cut from the side of your house/under the ground/on the telephone pole. Cellular phones don't require a constant electrical connection to work properly, so they will work if the power is out. If your house is on fire, don't forget to call 911 on your land line before escaping. The list of pro's outweighs by far the imaginary list of con's, unless your a tinfoil hat kinda person.[/citation]
as far as the power being out landline telephones that don't require a power adaptor have always worked in a power outage. how old are you? 15? do you even know how to use a rotary phone or how about a crank phone? the switch to digital was for a clear talking with out the static and in and out phasing of the cell users voice. you seem to clearly be born after this switch and i had a phone that could do both digital and analog, digital had a weaker signal and couldn't go as far as analog which is extremely important if you get off the interstate or leave a large metro city. and if it weren't for oil rigs and cruise ships your digital cellphone is worthless 10 miles out from the nearest tower so don't depend on it when your fishing in the ocean or fishing in a river or taking a trail down a gorge/valley.
the digital tracking mandate by the government came out a few years after the switch to digital started.
oh that and your cell phone only has 30 minutes of talk time battery life, make sure you've got something to plug into if it takes longer.

G

f-14:and if it weren't for oil rigs and cruise ships your digital cellphone is worthless 10 miles out from the nearest tower so don't depend on it when your fishing in the ocean or fishing in a river or taking a trail down a gorge/valley.
oh that and your cell phone only has 30 minutes of talk time battery life, make sure you've got something to plug into if it takes longer.

I think the odds of my cell phone working on the ocean/river/valley/etc are higher than your landline.
Oh, and my cell phone has way more talk time than 30 minutes. Pretty sure all of them do.
Yes, I only have a cell phone (and I am over 40 yo). Only people that I know that have landlines are my parents and my sister.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cwolf78[/nom]Nope. Well technically I do have phone service with my cable company, but only because it was cheaper to get the "triple play" than just getting Internet and TV. I don't even own a phone to plug into it though. But for 911 the cable's phone service isn't the best anyway as it doesn't even function when the power is out. Don't have to worry about that with a cell phone. Plus if you're at home, chances are your cell phone is connected with Wi-Fi, and that can offer another method for 911 to track your location (unless, of course the power is out).When reading your justifcation for keeping a land line just for 911, I had to wonder... how many calls do you place to 911? If like most people, almost never, that's going to rack up to a really expensive 911 call when you factor in the expense of your land line over time... just to make that one call.[/citation]

i forget what i pay for it, if i actually called people, it would cost a crap ton, but because i dont, its something around 5-10 $ a month which is cheap.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]You remember about 10 years ago when customers were forced to stop using analog cell phones? That wasn't just so your provided could better use that bandwidth, all digital cell phones know exactly where they are as long as they are on. By the time you hit send, we know where you are, how long you've been there, and which direction (if any) you are moving.Cellular phones cannot have their lines cut from the side of your house/under the ground/on the telephone pole. Cellular phones don't require a constant electrical connection to work properly, so they will work if the power is out. If your house is on fire, don't forget to call 911 on your land line before escaping. The list of pro's outweighs by far the imaginary list of con's, unless your a tinfoil hat kinda person.[/citation]

up until recently 911 call centers could be spoofed by faking your number and address, i think it was through voip. they couldn't tell where the hell you were, so kids, and a#@holes started calling and reporting horrific s@%$, google it, you will hear some of what happed. and if i'm right not every 911 call center is able to deal with that even today.

our phone line gets power outside of our power... if that makes sense. we can make a call without power... at least if nothings changed. but by me, if we lose power its for a second or two, unless a tornado, or something similarly bad happens in which case, 911 doesn't do crap. but as for what you said, they know the second you press send, im guessing that may be true of smartphones, but im really doubting a 20$ trackphone will go into that kind of detail. and on top of that, i am really going to doubt that 911 centers in rural areas got upgraded to that extent if that call spoofing was working till recently.

also correct me if im wrong, but even through a cable company, don't calls still work on a power out, a friend has a box in the basement for 911 calls, if power goes out, don't they just lose the ability to trace you instantly?

and on an unrelated note, your name reminds me of someone o know of in everquest, the way they name their characters, dalethemage

mm0zct

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tommysch[/nom]Grats on your discovery of multicasting sir.[/citation]

It's almost certainly ADSL2+, there is only 1 cable/fiber provider in the UK (Virgin) with almost everyone else using the 2 pieces of copper wire provided by BT. BT is finally starting fiber trials but almost everyone in the UK not on Virgin is running ADSL or ADSL2+ over leased phoneline from BT. (I'm doing this with plusnet as the ISP for example).

mm0zct

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Re: my previous comment, somehow I clicked the quote button for the wrong post and didn't notice, it was meant to be in reference to the "you must be on fibre optics" comment, I also misspelled fibre in my previous post x_x

Jarsh

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]mm0zct[/nom]Re: my previous comment, somehow I clicked the quote button for the wrong post and didn't notice, it was meant to be in reference to the "you must be on fibre optics" comment, I also misspelled fibre in my previous post x_x[/citation]

Looks fine here in the US. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.