Opera Mini for iPhone Ruling the App Store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Safari is good enough. I've heard too many bad things about Opera mobile on the iPhone, to the point where I am not even considering downloading it. No multitouch? That's lame. You're either zoomed in, or not zoomed in. I've heard that Opera is really only faster when you're using Edge. Honestly, to me, Safari is fine and has worked just fine for me.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
[citation][nom]TruettCathy[/nom]Safari is good enough. I've heard too many bad things about Opera mobile on the iPhone, to the point where I am not even considering downloading it. No multitouch? That's lame. You're either zoomed in, or not zoomed in. I've heard that Opera is really only faster when you're using Edge. Honestly, to me, Safari is fine and has worked just fine for me.[/citation]
I keep hearing this, and I understand where you're coming from. But once you stop zooming incrementally the way safari lets you, you wonder why you ever did it in the first place.

The concept behind opera mini is to only display what you care to see. Nobody reads a webpage at the 100% zoom level in safari. Sure you *can*, but you'll go blind in about 10 minutes trying to do so. We always end up double tapping to bring a section in closer to a more readable level. Opera simply assumes you are going to do this, and doesnt bother giving you readable text until you do. Once you double tap, the page looks the same on both browsers. I mean honestly, do you ever zoom PAST the page constraints? I dont, so what do I need multi-touch for in a browser again?

One thing I really like about opera is the fact that it does such a good job at keeping text in focus. Safari tends to let you wander around the screen wherever your thumb pushes it. I'm constantly having to realign the page back to center. Opera just knows not to do this, and lets you scroll more sloppily.

Safari is a more polished, prettier browser thats for sure. The text is vector scaled to infinite dpi and scrolls very smoothely. Opera uses fixed scale text rendering, but it chooses the same scale that safari does when you double tap, so they are the same. The pages load the same whether you are 3g or wifi, so it's really best for us jailbroken edge users, probably something Apple did NOT think about before approving.

But the vastly superior tabbed browsing and homescreen portal options alone completely crush safari. You can load up 8 tabs and have them load the pages in the background while you continue to surf on tab 1, just like in firefox. This alone has already made me a convert. I'll still use safari for confidential stuff though, I dont want my bank login passwords and stuff going through operas servers, whether they are encrypted or not.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
It's fast. It's UI is decent. It's data usage limited. Okay, zooming is a bit problematic, but other than that it's better than Safari in almost every way. I'm happy I made the switch...

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Use what makes you happy. That's all I can say.[/citation]
NO!!! You must use what I use so I feel like I belong to the winning and best side. Otherwise, you're clearly just being an "anti-what I use" fanboi!

G

This puts opera in a good position if they ever tried to make a phone. call it the iOpera... lol. I should patent that.

Status
Not open for further replies.