Opera Shows Apple a Better iPhone Web Browser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
It's likely that Apple and the ISP's (the big cable companies and telecos) have an understanding to keep data usage up, not down, so it's unlikely to that a browser that compresses up to 90% server side and reduces your potential bandwidth consumption is going to fly with Apple. The telecos don't want you to lower your bandwidth, they just want to reap the profits from overages.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Yes it will, it would improve the internet experience. The phone part is pretty much opinion.

Funny thou, I've seen many black berry, Windows Mobile, Basic-Phone users switch to iPhone and love it.

tstebbens

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I've been using Opera Mobile on my Polaris for ages. It's a really good browser. The only problem I've had is with a few sites with lots of JavaScript where it runs like a dog and occassionally crashes.

[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So all my traffic is routed through Opera servers? No thanks,[/citation]

You can turn that feature off.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Keep in mind your speed is dependent on opera's servers to retransmit the compressed data back to you via proxy. I've used opera on my blackberry for awhile and sometimes using the internet browser is faster b/c the opera servers are overloaded, and even the compressed pages come in slower than non-compressed. Plus theres the security risk & uncomfortable feeling of having all your traffic routed through opera's servers.

I'll definitely give this a try on my iphone if it's free or shows up on cydia, but you gotta admit the safari browser is pretty damn good. I'm sure apple will deny this app and claim they did so to "prevent customer confusion"

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Opera is NOT based on Webkit.[/citation]
You misunderstood. I said that competing browsers from Android and Palm were based on Webkit. I did NOT say that Opera Mini was connected to Webkit in any fashion other than it competes with the once-leading Safari.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
To clarify most things in one post, hopefully:
Yes, Opera Mini is free, as is the other mobile browser from Opera, Opera Mobile.
Neither support Flash, though typically that is not too much of a problem, considering there are specific Youtube applications for devices anyway and other Flash content on websites is advertising. I will admit there are some sites where Flash is used for useful purposes and the lack of support is annoying, but don't forget mobile browsers are used in addition to a desktop browser, not instead of.
Finally, the differences between Opera Mini and Mobile. The most obvious is that Opera Mini runs on just about any phone, whereas Mobile does not and has a limited phone support. This is because of the major difference between them; Opera Mini sends everything to and from the Opera servers (and having used Mini for many months, it does speed up a slow internet connection and is not at all problematic) and so requires less resources on the host mobile. Opera Mobile instead does all the processing on the mobile, but like the desktop browser, Opera Turbo can be enabled.
Hope that clears a few things up.
/sent using Opera Mobile from a Nokia E63

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]climber[/nom]It's likely that Apple and the ISP's (the big cable companies and telecos) have an understanding to keep data usage up, not down, so it's unlikely to that a browser that compresses up to 90% server side and reduces your potential bandwidth consumption is going to fly with Apple. The telecos don't want you to lower your bandwidth, they just want to reap the profits from overages.[/citation]

I seriously doubt that considering AT&T requires most smartphone customers to purchase unlimited data plans and is constantly bitching about how much data iPhone users use.

jakalwarrior

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
About the same thing we've been using on our windows mobile and other phones for a while now ;) Opera mobile even has versions with REAL flash support. Watching youtube vids right on the page.

Nothing gets any attention till its on the iPhone though... I'ts free on windows mobile and the jave app is free. Probably won't be for iPhone though. If apple is going to have another company take over the iphones browser they are darn sure going to want to make some money from taking a cut.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Not like Apple would actually approve it and get competition towards Safari. Apple'll say that it had pr0n on it or something.[/citation]
Actually they don't even need to do that. They have denied plenty of apps that step on the toes of Apple provided software. I don't even know why opera even tried making an official release. Release it to the homebrew community and move on to other platforms.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
no point in doing this because of no flash support.

apple wont allow flash on safari so why would they allow it on opera....

really great idea except apple ruins everything.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Okay, just watched the video...Cool, I want it too... if I had an iphone or smart-phone that could use the Opera Mini browser Opera rocks kind of like that too on Windows (most likely the same on Mac). You can pull tabs off (into their own window) as well as bring them back.[/citation]

You can also pull tabs off of chrome... and put them back

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Let's not forget that Opera Mini 5 has been available for other platforms for quite a while. I would say that not only does the iPhone version beat Safari, but it shows that OTHER platforms running Opera Mini beat the iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.