Opinions on Lenovo laptops?

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello,
I've been wondering about Lenovo laptops an I wanted to ask you guys.
Do you have any experience with Lenovo laptops?
How reliable and/or durable are they?
I appreciate any help
Thanks in advance :)

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
My current work computer is a Lenovo ideapad. It is ok. I have had no issues with it so far. Doesn't feel particularly flimsy, so that is good...

If you can get the thinkpad series, those are rock solid. I have had some experience with them: They are not sexy, but they are just so durable...

dextermat is right, though: Get an ASUS. They have the best warranty and some great computers...

rhorjus

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I got a lenovo T60p back in 2007, That computer is till lasting strong to this day. In fact it is still my main machine, and i use it everyday! Only thing I have replaced is the battery (those all wear out) and moved to a bigger HD, and added some more ram. Everything else works to its full potential still. Super durable and reliable. I would stick with the Thinkpad series ones. I know ideapad is more budget, but the Thinkpads are just solid machines.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Which asus laptop do you recommend?
My budget is $500-$700
I will be needing it mostly for photo editing, multimedia fusion 2, programming, and other regular stuff

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
It doesn't make sense to apply one rating to Lenovo as a whole. Models available from a given brand tend to vary vastly, especially in the case of Lenovo because of the difference between their Thinkpad T Series and their consumer-class Ideapads.

The ThinkPad series are more or less bulletproof. My IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003 (before the division was sold to Lenovo) still works to this day. It's a bit slow compared to more modern laptops. These are business class laptops.

I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 last year. Not the greatest laptop in the world due to CPU overheating issues. Likely due to too much thermal pasted based on owners of that laptop who took their Y470 apart to clean out all the thermal paste and applied and appropriate pea size amount rather than 3 or 4 tablespoons of thermal paste. Taking apart the laptop will void your warranty.

I'll likely dump the IdeaPad Y470 next year for something with 1600x900 or 1920x1080 resolution screen; perhaps in favor of a new ThinkPad based on Intel's next CPU; Haswell.