Opinions: Upgrading Old Laptop?

Doogals

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
I have an old Dell Studio 1535 laptop that sees very light use and is still running great, but in need of more HDD storage capacity.

I was thinking about upgrading to SSD, installing Windows 10, and adding 4-8GB of RAM. Current specs are below, any opinions on the limitations of this old hardware or any potential complications doing these upgrades? Much appreciated, thank you.

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750, 2.0GHz, 667Mhz, 2M L2 Cache
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3450

Solution

I have a similar speced dell at the trailer I still use - it's still ok for email, office tasks, playing movies, light browsing etc.

Not the kind of thing you want to spend a lot of money on though ... 2nd hand ram would...

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

to be honest upgrading that laptop is kind of a waste. It's really old and even with an ssd it will still struggle with todays tasks due to the weak processor.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
For what you'd spend upgrading that, I'd look at picking up a current i3u or i5u-based laptop instead. You can usually find one with 8 gigs of RAM for ~$300-400, with excellent battery life, and can then switch out the HDD for a SSD (or buy a model that already has a SSD for a bit more).

I have an old 1.86 GHz C2D laptop that I don't even bother with anymore - the CPUs are so lethargic they're not useful for much these days.

Doogals

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
Perhaps a better short term solution (for additional storage at least) would be replacing my optical drive with a 2.5" 1TB HDD and a conversion tray:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997049&cm_re=hard_drive_caddy-_-17-997-049-_-Product

robert600

Distinguished

I have a similar speced dell at the trailer I still use - it's still ok for email, office tasks, playing movies, light browsing etc.

Not the kind of thing you want to spend a lot of money on though ... 2nd hand ram would be ok ... there's tons of ddr2 available at good prices. I have 4 in mine and it's ok ... 8 would obviously be better. You know that to go past 4 ... you need a 64 bit OS ... right?

Thinking of Win10 ... i wouldn't purchase it for your machine ... but if it has a registered version of win7 or 8 ... you can upgrade for free ... I haven't done that with my dell yet but I've been thinking about it.

The SSD is a different situation ... you'd notice a huge difference ... and in my view it would not be a waste of money because it could easily be moved over to another computer in the future.

I'm not sure how handy you are with laptops but here's a thought: the cpu below is < $13 (delivered) on ebay ... it's noticeably better than the T5750. Swapping cpus is not all that difficult a job and it gives you the chance to replace your thermal paste and to totally clean your cooling system at the same time.

Core 2 Duo T9600 (Socket P) 2/2 2.8 GHz 6 MB 35W

Solution