Optical out TV to analogue home theatre

jameswbaker1

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
Hi

I have an LG tv that I watch films on via the new Amazon Fire stick. However this uses the HDMI port, and ultimately means the audio just comes through the TVs speakers. The home theatre system that I have is also LG but just has the usual pair of rca ports (red and white). The TV does have an optical out, which I understand could be coupled upto something like the 'Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to Analog Audio Converter', or the 'Digital Dolby DTS AC3 Optical to 5.1 Analog Audio Gear Sound Decoder SPDIF GBP' as posted in other threads. However after reading on I have read that it might not support Dolby digital. I have looked at the audio setup on the tv and there is no option to change anything!
So my problem is I want a 'converter' to do the job, the problem is what am I looking for? There seems to be so many, what do I need it to do?
I would be very grateful of any help.

Kind regards

James

Solution
Well if TV has a headphones out, THAT'S IT, that's what your stereo amplifier understands. All you need is a mini-plug to RCA Y-cable. All you are getting is stereo though until you are able to upgrade that amplifier to surround and add more speakers(?)
I believe you maybe S.O.L. as many TV's optical out only outputs surround from the TV's tuner and nowhere else, don't ask me why it does that.

For people with a home theater receiver, one would plug the firestick into one of the receiver's HDMI-IN port like any HDMI source, and let the receiver do the switching, and the audio portion of the HDMI source would be "extracted" to be decoded by the receiver.

jameswbaker1

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
The TVs does have a head phone jack. So I connect this to the rca pair on the home theatre then Shazam I have sound? Do I get 5.1 or just flat sound? Thanks for the answer.
Regards
James

koorite

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
yeah, if your home theater system does not have a headphone jack you can get an adapter for rca to 3.5mm jack and that should work. im not sure if it will have "true" 5.1 surround but i have my pc hooked up to my home theater via headphone jack and all of my 5.1 speakers work

jameswbaker1

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016

jameswbaker1

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
Wicked, I can't wait to get home from work to have a okay about. I've got the rca to head phones cable, so happy days.
Thanks for your time, I will let you know how I get on!
Kind regards
James

Well if TV has a headphones out, THAT'S IT, that's what your stereo amplifier understands. All you need is a mini-plug to RCA Y-cable. All you are getting is stereo though until you are able to upgrade that amplifier to surround and add more speakers(?)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS