Solved! Outdoor camera

cpoteran

Commendable
Jan 25, 2018
I need an outdoor security camera to protect my boat. There is a tree about 20 ft away. I want the camera to be able to take a video at least 45 ft away. I need a camera that DOES NOT use a flash or any sort of red lights to video at night. At night is when burglary occurs and security cameras should not signal to the burglue that they are being videoed. I don’t need a WiFi capable camera as my dock is over 200 yds from my house . Can anyone suggest an outdoor camera to fit my needs!

Solution
To do what you want, you will be talking a very expensive camera, and it will not produce images that can easily identify exactly who is burglarizing your boat. That's because the image will be green or some other monochromatic color.
Those red lights that you don't want a burglar to see on nighttime cameras are infrared light generators. It's infrared light that illuminates the scene at night. The camera is capable of seeing infrared light even though human eyes cannot. That's how nighttime cameras work. The camera "sees" the reflections of infrared light instead of reflections of daylight.
I may not be completely up to date on other nighttime technologies, but to my knowledge your only other option is light intensifier cameras. You...
Apr 26, 2020
To do what you want, you will be talking a very expensive camera, and it will not produce images that can easily identify exactly who is burglarizing your boat. That's because the image will be green or some other monochromatic color.
Those red lights that you don't want a burglar to see on nighttime cameras are infrared light generators. It's infrared light that illuminates the scene at night. The camera is capable of seeing infrared light even though human eyes cannot. That's how nighttime cameras work. The camera "sees" the reflections of infrared light instead of reflections of daylight.
I may not be completely up to date on other nighttime technologies, but to my knowledge your only other option is light intensifier cameras. You know in the movies when we watch the Navy Seals wearing those cumbersome goggles to sneak up on some unsuspecting bad guys? Those use light intensifier technology. They are able to intensify the existing light, even when it appears completely dark to us, and reflect that intensified light to a sensor. Last time I looked, a good quality light intensifier tech camera cost more than your boat is probably worth. If they were cheap, all the bad guys would have them too. I suspect a camera using light intensifier technology would go through batteries like crazy.

But here's a thought.
If you are like me you want to know who is burglarizing your boat. The fact of the matter is that to the police (depending where you live), burglary is a pretty minor crime unless significant value has been stolen. Not only that, but if I were a burglar, I would be wearing a hoodie or something else to reasonably hide my identity. Couple that with video quality generally not being good enough to convict anyone and you quickly realize that unless you are of a mind to do a little personal street justice, you aren't likely to gain much with a hidden camera. At least that's what I decided. When a thief steals the camera you put in place to protect you, you start thinking it's a waste of money.
That leaves deterrents. If I were going to buy a security camera now I would buy one with huge, big-ass red lights and hope that the would-be thief sees the camera and decides to move along. You know that around 20% of those cameras in liquor stores and convenience stores are just fake black boxes with a red light? They have learned that deterrents are better.
Is there any electricity close? I have found security lights to work well at chasing off ne'er do wells. Motion activated, they'll startle the crap out of someone mid-burglary.

Solution

cpoteran

Commendable
Jan 25, 2018
I may not be completely up to date on other nighttime technologies, but to my knowledge your only other option is light intensifier cameras. You know in the movies when we watch the Navy Seals wearing those cumbersome goggles to sneak up on some unsuspecting bad guys? Those use light intensifier technology. They are able to intensify the existing light, even when it appears completely dark to us, and reflect that intensified light to a sensor. Last time I looked, a good quality light intensifier tech camera cost more than your boat is probably worth. If they were cheap, all the bad guys would have them too. I suspect a camera using light intensifier technology would go through batteries like crazy.

But here's a thought.
If you are like me you want to know who is burglarizing your boat. The fact of the matter is that to the police (depending where you live), burglary is a pretty minor crime unless significant value has been stolen. Not only that, but if I were a burglar, I would be wearing a hoodie or something else to reasonably hide my identity. Couple that with video quality generally not being good enough to convict anyone and you quickly realize that unless you are of a mind to do a little personal street justice, you aren't likely to gain much with a hidden camera. At least that's what I decided. When a thief steals the camera you put in place to protect you, you start thinking it's a waste of money.
That leaves deterrents. If I were going to buy a security camera now I would buy one with huge, big-ass red lights and hope that the would-be thief sees the camera and decides to move along. You know that around 20% of those cameras in liquor stores and convenience stores are just fake black boxes with a red light? They have learned that deterrents are better.
Is there any electricity close? I have found security lights to work well at chasing off ne'er do wells. Motion activated, they'll startle the crap out of someone mid-burglary.
Thanks for your input. You make a lot of sense. I think I’ll get a solar powered red light big red light and hang it from the tree and let it come on in darkness and go off in daylight. Thanks again