OUYA Console Raises $4 Million On Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i shall quote Johan Andersson Rendering Architect at DICE,

"The ‪OUYA‬ $99 console is cool, but severely underpowered with a Tegra3 CPU/GPU & constrained to Android ARM games...I would rather see ‪OUYA‬ with a much more powerful AMD Fusion Trinity x86 chip in it to also enable ports of PC & current-gen console games. But would be a more difficult project to establish, so understand where ‪OUYA‬ is going for with standard tablet HW & SW in a box + gamepad"

maybe they should double the storage with all the money they have and add an extra USB port.

G

All it proves is that there's more than just 1 idiot born every day.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I can imagine angry birds being ported to this console which should be rather easy.[/citation]

There's no port needed, Angry Bird is already running on Android.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Why not just make it a display port and a dedicated game pad? I just don't see the purpose in making a dedicated console too. This way everytime you upgrade your phone you upgrade your console too!

G

Seeing as how most Android phones running ice cream sandwich cost substantially more than $99, this is still a great investment for gamers without disposable income.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i shall quote Johan Andersson Rendering Architect at DICE, "The ‪OUYA‬ $99 console is cool, but severely underpowered with a Tegra3 CPU/GPU & constrained to Android ARM games...I would rather see ‪OUYA‬ with a much more powerful AMD Fusion Trinity x86 chip in it to also enable ports of PC & current-gen console games. But would be a more difficult project to establish, so understand where ‪OUYA‬ is going for with standard tablet HW & SW in a box + gamepad" maybe they should double the storage with all the money they have and add an extra USB port.[/citation]

That would be nice, however a Trinity chip would set you back $80-120... so there goes the $99 budget out the window. Even an underpowered version in bulk quantities you might drop it to $50-60.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
And don't forget, Kickstarter is only open to those located in the United States. Imagine what those numbers would look like if the entire gaming world was allowed to contribute funds.
Where on Earth did you here that? Kickstarter is 100% global. Even companies OUTSIDE the US are using it to raise money (e.g. the makers of Carmageddon reboot). The Ouya can also be ordered from overseas - all you need to do is add US$20 for shipping - did you even LOOK at the Kickstarter page?

G

I like how you are all ignoring manufacturing. They have no expeirience in this field? Even top notch companies have problems. They know nothing about manufacturing. You all can kiss you 99 bucks gone, you won't see anything from them for a LONG while.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Actually you don't have to be in the United States in order to pledge to projects. According to Kickstarter's FAQ : "Anyone, anywhere (with a major credit card) can pledge to Kickstarter projects".

You DO however must be a U.S. resident (with social insurance number, U.S. bank account, etc.) to start up a project.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i cant wait for this.

a playform that is completely indi friendly...
yea there is the pc, but how many people think indi games when they think pc gameing? i know its not he mass public. sure a few indi games get popular, and some massive, but no one thinks indi games.

here is a console that will put indi games to the fore front of its experience. all i can say is awesome.

heres hoping for emulators, and decent support for a video player.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I just don't see this gaining much marketshare, for the simple reason that most games in Google Play are designed around bite-sized gaming, which imo translates poorly to couch gaming. Sure there might be some games there that might be decent, but I have to wonder if there is /will be enough of them. This feels like a device for students and beginner devs, or something a grandparent would buy for their grandkids, who actually wanted an XBOX / PS.

Then again, I am usually wrong about these things.

fezztah

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
This seem odd to me. Surely 95% of Android games won't really work using a gamepad, they're designed for touch. Now, to redesign for a gamepad and HD the developer has to be fairly certain of making money. The only way they can do that on an open platform is to go client-server as that is the only way to limit piracy on an open system, but those kind of games need a big development investment. Seems like a very small number of possible games, if you are thinking high quality or big names or AAA. Sure, there will undoubtedly be a lot of indie games but even they will be wanting an income ? Plus, $4million doesn't sound enough to me, they'll need to partner with some major Asian manufacturing company and have to build in huge volumes?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]fezztah[/nom]This seem odd to me. Surely 95% of Android games won't really work using a gamepad, they're designed for touch. Now, to redesign for a gamepad and HD the developer has to be fairly certain of making money. The only way they can do that on an open platform is to go client-server as that is the only way to limit piracy on an open system, but those kind of games need a big development investment. Seems like a very small number of possible games, if you are thinking high quality or big names or AAA. Sure, there will undoubtedly be a lot of indie games but even they will be wanting an income ? Plus, $4million doesn't sound enough to me, they'll need to partner with some major Asian manufacturing company and have to build in huge volumes?[/citation]
There tons of android games already optimized for a controller because of the xperia play.

fezztah

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]There tons of android games already optimized for a controller because of the xperia play.[/citation]

Good point, I forgot about that.
http://xperiagamer.com/Android/Xperia-PLAY-Optimized/ lists 20 nice looking games. Am I right that this device won't be allowed to run GooglePlay so the developers would have to do a deal with Ouya and put it on their own app store?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I was amazed by the game Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii. Great gameplay, but shitty graphics due the fact that it is on the Wii. At first I thought. why the Wii. That is meant for Mario and family type gaming, PS3 is where this should be. But then again, they probably have a niche and no competition since they are Wii exclusive. I am hoping for some epic RPGs like that on this system. , If so, I am sold on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.