Over-heating and fans doubts

Alecossy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Okay, this might have been posted before, but a rapid use of the search button didn't show anything good so I'm asking again.
Here's my issue: I have an Acer Aspire 5742zg featuring an HD6370M AMD graphic card and I'm having awful performances even with simple 3D apps and gaming.
To give you a solid example, i'm running the famous League Of Legends (which requires 64 MB vram to run at minimum) and my video card touches 80° Celsius, going from a max of 60 FPS for the first five mins to a min of 18/20 fps when the game goes on.
Drivers seem okay and I don't have any power saving setting (while using cable, power management is set to "maximize performances").
I'm worried about the VCard cooling system. 80° seems a lot even if i read somewhere that the card can reach 100° before shutting down the system.
Playing around with sapphire trixx's fan control system seems to change nothing... I'm not even sure the real fan speed changes when u change it on trixx and SpeedFan's readings scare me.
I'm posting you a screenshot of speedfan and trixx, so that you can see for yourself.
What do you think could be causing the issue?

Here's the screenshot:
2u9ips4.jpg

Alecossy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
checking and applying any update where possible.
If you remain online, this wont take much.
I remember having no problems playing games for the first times... Used to play games such as Lineage II or League of Legends with minimal lag...
Are you sure about the temp? Keeping an 80° laptop on my lap is kinda, well... uncomfortable this time of the year...

Alecossy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
All drivers are up to date, still i hear no fan running and only a minimal amount of air is coming out of my laptop left side.
do you suggest trying something else?

Yep, the first thing I will suggest is the use of a cooling pad or (at a minimum) keeping the laptop on a hard flat surface, not a lap. Actally, keeping it off your lap may solve your problems. It is vitally important that the vents on the bottom are not restricted. It is possible that your fan is failing also (laptop fans tend to die slowly) or that it's cooling ability and airflow are hampered by dustbunnies. With dustbunnies, once they form, compressed air does little more than blow them back and forth inside the unit.
Summary:
Keep laptop on flat hard surface to allow airflow to bottom vents
Disassemble and physically clean HSF
Optional:
Use cooling pad. I highly recommend this, my laptop is never used without one anymore

You may find that you need to replace the fan but try the cleaning thing first... there are vids available on youtube for most laptops on disassembly etc... hopefully yours isn't one of the more difficult ones

Alecossy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Also is there any way to test if the card performances are what they should be? (some benchmarking software or similar)

Amazingly enough, no. If you damage a component inside, that will probably void the warranty but, opening, cleaning, even replacing some parts will not void your warranty - Unlike most electronics, there are no "do not break seal" seals on any laptops I've come across. Take care not to strip screws and/or leave traces of entry - who would know anyway?

The more I have considered this, just stick with the flat hard surface and see where that gets you for now. I am going to soapbox the cooling pad here though. This one perhaps
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997730

There are utilities for benchmarking that will stress your CPU and GPU. Furmark I can't recommend here because it has the potential to fry your GPU, I will recommend OCCT - I think it allows you to test CPU, GPU and memory, available here
http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download
I think it'll work on laptops

Alecossy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I've been playing a test match and had a fixed fps rate of around 30 fps for more than 30 mins.
After playing my gpu temp was only 64° C, which is a big improvement.
That's probably because I wasn't using TS, though.
I'll check which secrets lie inside the laptop tomorrow, by trying to clean the vents and then i'll look around for a cooling pad...
I think it's an acceptable result, will keep me gaming-fed during my long erasmus journey in norway... I'll keep in touch to see if anything comes up.