Overheating gaming laptop

willsor

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hi

I bought a gaming laptop in January and I started playing GW2 on it. It was running fine for the most part, just with bad fps spikes, ie 60fps (med
settings) then suddenly a period of 15 fps every 10 seconds or so. It's got a 2nd gen i7 at 2.4Ghz and a gt 555m

I googled the problem, other people were having the same problem and it was caused by overheating.
I downloaded speedfan and again, sure enough, I saw it: CPU: 100 degrees C.
http://imgur.com/hCk3G

I know it's a laptop, but 98 degrees seems a little excessive for a stock speed/stock voltage processor.
This overheating problem is really hurting the gaming potential of this laptop, which is pretty disappointing considering it's a gaming laptop. I've noticed it happening with other games too - even Diablo 3 on the lowest settings.
Is something wrong here? I'm pretty disappointed to be honest, considering I spent about £900 for this beast.

I'm not really sure what, if anything, I can do about this, as I don't know much about laptops, it's not like I can just get a better heatsink (afaik).
Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Now you know why I always say: gaming laptop=oxymoron

willsor

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Hi Dex, it's a Novatech Nspire 2760
It's not on their website anymore, but I found this website, which shows specs and more
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/review/2122402/novatech-nspire-2760-black-edition

It's got a Core i7-2760QM, 8GB of memory, Nvidia Geforce GT 555M, 500GB hybrid SSD hard disk

nukemaster

Distinguished
If you have left the laptop on most of the time, you may have a dust/hair/dirt/ect build up in the heatsinks. Too much dust can cause high temperatures.

If would look to use a can of compressed gas(Air duster) to try to blow out any dust you can get to. You will not always see it because it builds up on the fan side.

Yeah this one was overheating to the point of shutting down without even loading the cpu up.
heatsink.jpg

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Your first attempt of remedy should be to take off the GPU cooler and replace the TIM- if it's all one piece with the CPU cooler, then replace that TIM as well

---

Nice pic ^
I would at least take the bottom cover off before blowing air into the case and cleaning it out, you wouldn't want to blow dust further into the chassis

Also, don't blast the fan with air and let it spin like mad unless it's unplugged from the board, it's possible you could backfeed power and blow the port

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
It should still be under warranty if you don't want to void it you can take it to a shop that does warranty work and have them clean it without voiding the warranty. Also you may want to have them put on better thermal paste when they assemble it just to help temps a bit more.