Overheating issues, Dell Inspiron N5110

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnab_das

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have a dell inspiron N5110 laptop, it has a core i5 processor, 4gb of ram and nvidia gt 525m graphics card.

now the thing is i'm regularly getting around 55-56C (around 135F) as CPU temperature even when idle. is this normal? should i contact support?

i do use a cooling pad.

please help me out.

thanks.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
That's a bit warm. How long have you had the laptop? There may be dust clogging the (internal) CPU fan. You can try getting a can of compressed air and blowing it through the fan intake on the underside of the laptop.

arnab_das

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

thanks. checked everything. clean as ever.

i did a bios update though which was available. now i dont know if u have a dell laptop but if u do and if u visit the downloads and drivers portal of dell, you will be faced with 2 options. the first one says "files for (service tag)" and the second one is "all files for N5110 (my laptop)". so where do u download the files from?

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The results listed under "all files for N5110" is more general, including all Dell N5110's. The results for your service tag are more specific to your particular sub-model. All the stuff you see in your service tag should also be in the general results but not all the general results will apply to your sub-model.

If you find something you're looking for under your service tag results, go with that one, but if there's something not listed there find it under the general results tab. In the case of the BIOS it probably won't make a difference (you'd probably see the same things in both places).

arnab_das

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

ooops completely missed your last question. i got the laptop in october last year, so this is still within the warranty period. thanks mate.

arnab_das

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

phew, now thats a relief. sort of. seriously, why arent the cooling mechanisms kicking in? 60 degrees? i could cook stuff at that temperature.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

I don't know but Intel cpus can handle a lot of heat. Its also hard to cool something in such a small area with so much insulators around it.

arnab_das

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

just one more question. does a cooling fan really help? i'm using one but doubt if its really doing much.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

not really at all. there is very little way for extra air to move through the case. very little openings in the bottom i would assume.

i used to use one and i saw little to no difference.

G

There is NO solution for Inspirion 5110 overheating problem. The official Dell "solution" is to UNDERCLOCK your laptop.
They wont provide us with solution or with answers. I have an Inspirion 5110 with i5 and Nvidia GeForce 525M , but can'r use it for high demanding software (games, video-editing, rainbow tables processing, etc. ) , becouse it gets overheated within few minutes and shuts down. And I'm not the only one. It seems on official Dell forum and on other websites that everybody who has an Inspirion 5110 have the same problem. It's a design fault as air-openings don't provide enough air for cooling-fan.
This laptop is usable just for web-browsing, emailing, word processing and other low-demand software.

It's the same as you would go to a car shop and buy a car which has a maximum speed of 300 km/h, for 100.000€. And then you would realize that you can't drive it faster than 150 km/h , becouse of overheating. Of course you would return to car shop, but the car maker would reply that the only "solution" is to drive at max. 150 km/h.

If I knew it before i buyed Inspirion 5110, I would buy a much cheaper laptop, with i3 instead of i5 and with integrated graphics instead of Nvidia GeForce 525M , for MUCH LESS money! It would give me the same power as "underclocked" Inspirion 5110 !

Dell should provide us buyers with a real solution , maybe install stronger fans into laptop or provide us with special cooling pad, designed for Inspirion 5110 (almost everybody who has Inspirion 5110 and buyed a cooling pad says that it doesn't prevent an overheating in few minutes in case of using high-demanding software!).

5ub0n3

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hy guys, same problem here with n5110.

i just used compressed air from compressor and blow dust(cloud of dust actually) out, that helped a lot. 5-6 months i didn't had any problem with overheating. Few days ago it started again.
Cooling fan helped a lot but and the end at some point it become useless.

asadkamal2

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I don't know what Dell wants but it is certainly gonna loose its cutomers if it keeps on making these blunders.
Imean this is the biggest mistake i ever made in my life to buy an i7 n5110. The model is pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.