Overheating laptop problems

nrgale

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I have a HP Pavilion dv6, and its overheating like a mofo. It has:
Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (3.3 GHz/2.3 GHz )
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2 GB DDR5 dedicated, 1.65 GB accessible)
8 GB DDR3
750 GB SATA (7200 rpm)
At the moment, I am having to use a box fan to keep it cool when gaming, its getting close to melting the heat sink. Is there a way to transfer everything to another case, so I wont have to deal with this?

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
No, you are not getting close to melting the heat sink. The heat sink is likely comprised of copper and nickel. They have melting points above 1000 degrees Celsius. A laptop will never reach anywhere near that temperature.

No, there is no way to transfer everything to another case. Amartya's advice is a good and simple way to prevent overheating.

The only other method would be to replace the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU. Manufacturers often use poor quality stock thermal compound and using a higher quality one, such as Arctic Silver 5, could significantly reduce your temperatures.

Quaddro

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Maybe this overheating issue because of dust that collected in your heatsink...
If your laptop is in warranty, you can ask help to the HP service center to clean it..

But actually, a laptop should be hot..
because of there are jus a tiny heatsink to cover your processor and gpu..
And in gaming mode, both of this component generate large amount of heat..

This is why laptops actually are not suitable for playing games..
if you play game for hours, do this in desktop ..

well, no matter what how many heat generated, it will not melting your heatsink..:D
only burn your palm...:D

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Sounds normal to me.

nrgale

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, ill try a better compound, because at the moment im using a box fan to keep it cool, which isnt very portable. Also, I meant the enclosure for the heat sink, which is the same plastic as the rest of the case.

nrgale

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, ill try a better compound, because at the moment im using a box fan to keep it cool, which isnt very portable. Also, I meant the enclosure for the heat sink, which is the same plastic as the rest of the case.

b146

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
The greatest problem for your laptop, except for your coffee mug, is overheating. One of the most common problems with computers is laptop overheating.
It can cause hardware failure and permanent damage. This article will introduce ways in which you can prevent or fix an overheating laptop and thus improve the performance and extend the lifespan of your laptop. I hope this shows how to stop your laptop from overheating.
http://053479df.theseforums.com
http://46f77d3f.theseblogs.com