Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
Hello,
I have Dell inspiron 5521 laptop, the configuration is :
i 7 3537u @ 2.00 ghz
Ati radeon 8730m graphics
1 TB Hdd
8gb of Ram
When i play games on this laptop @ 1600*900 Resolution, the game start freezing after sometime,it freezes for about 20- 40 seconds( freeze means the fps just go down & the game start running slow) but after few seconds this slowing down stops and games runs fine., this generally happens after 15- 20 minutes interval while running games.
I also checked the temperature while this freeze occurs , the temperature goes from 80 degree celsius to 100 above , to prevent this i am also using cooler master cooling pad but no dice...
i have also checked temp and fan rpm using gpu z but it doesn't show decicated graphic 8720m fan rpm.
i have played assassins creed 3, batman arkham origins,street fighter x tekken and many other but this problem doesn't occur at that time, when i am playing again these games plus new game games like assassins creed 4, wolfenstein new order this problem is occuring, so please help me to solve this problem, the help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Solution
There is typically only one fan in a laptop.
Make sure all openings are unobstructed. If it has been a while (e.g. 1+ years, or even six months if you have pets or anyone smokes around your laptop), open it up and use pressurized gas (NOT a vacuum cleaner, which produces destructive static) to remove dust, lint, and animal hair. Don't let the fan spin like crazy while cleaning (bearings can be damaged), but do make sure it spins freely.
If anyone smokes around it, you may need to get out the Q-tips and really clean the goo out of it carefully, or possibly buy a new fan/heatsink assembly.

PreyTheSun

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
Yeah, sounds like it's either the CPU or GPU overheating. Whatever it is, something is overheating and your laptop cannot truly handle these games on high settings. Bad drivers could also be a factor. How is your RAM?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

Bad drivers should not cause 100+ temps, it's definitely hardware related.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
There is typically only one fan in a laptop.
Make sure all openings are unobstructed. If it has been a while (e.g. 1+ years, or even six months if you have pets or anyone smokes around your laptop), open it up and use pressurized gas (NOT a vacuum cleaner, which produces destructive static) to remove dust, lint, and animal hair. Don't let the fan spin like crazy while cleaning (bearings can be damaged), but do make sure it spins freely.
If anyone smokes around it, you may need to get out the Q-tips and really clean the goo out of it carefully, or possibly buy a new fan/heatsink assembly.

Solution

geofelt

Distinguished
Possibly, dust has accumulated in your cooler fan.
The graphics chip on a laptop is on the motherboard and will also be cooled by the laptop fan.

If you can't feel hot air exiting the laptop, the fan is probably bad and will need to be replaced.
Check to see that the fresh air intake is not blocked.

APassingMe

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
The fan/heatsink is normally shared with the CPU heatsink, so as long as you have a running fan you should be okay there, look at the exhaust ports for dust issues and vacuum/blow it out (vacuum is preferred by far but you may have to use some compressed air to get things moving).

You might have a dedicated fan but you'd have to look at the exhaust ports to tell, if so you would need to replace that fan assuming of course that it isn't working.

APassingMe

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

Compressed air if you take it apart, a vacuum if you don' t... if you're worried about static just keep a hand on the vacuum extension and stay grounded to something else.