Overheating on macbook pro (Windows 7)

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello

i recently upgraded my macbook pro 13inch mid 2012 to El Capitan and decided to also install windows on it through bootcamp as this was a fresh reset for both operating systems. I have installed windows on different computers many times through bootcamp but this time there is an overheating issue after installing all the drivers from the Apple. After installing these drivers, the temperature of my CPU randomly rises to 90-100 degrees Celsius when it is idling or even web browsing. I've tried reinstalling windows and the drivers but still the same thing occurs. The only time that the macbook pro isnt heating up is when its in Mac OS or Windows BEFORE driver installation.

On another note, when i successfully install coretemp on windows, it says it "driver has failed to load" and therefore unable to open it. I also tried Intel XTU to try and find out my core usage/monitoring and that work but the only thing that didnt show up was the graph about my temperatures. Before it had something to do with digital signing on windows so i changed it to enable and ignore and that allowed Intel XTU to run but no temperature information showing.

Also as the CPU is overheating, fans dont kick in to help it cool down. they only rise from 0-3k rpm on auto.

It hints to me that the drivers that was installed has something to do with this mess up and wonder how i can get around this and fixing this properly without 3rd party apps to control fan speed and have it always on 6k rpm which will totally require me to wear headphones every time i use windows on it.

Below are a bit about my laptop and driver downloaded:

Driver: Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640

Macbook Pro 13 inch mid 2012:
Windows 7 ultimate
8gb ram
750gb hdd
2.9ghz i7

Thanks

Solution

I'm experiencing this on a Macbook Pro 2011 running Windows 7 Ult SP1 w/ Bootcamp 5.1. I've actually had the system shut itself down a couple occasions while on a Skype...

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

hello, thanks for the reply

i have tried this and still the same problem persists. i have a cooling pad underneath it but i wont think the manufacturers intended for the macbook to be used this way as it should be cool until a load is applied such as games but in my case, its just idling or even lite browsing.

even just turning it on and leaving it run without any apps opened slowly makes the cpu hot for some reason.

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
UPDATE:

after some windows updates, the driver for Coretemp has finally worked and shows after booting into windows that it rises from 40 degrees celsius to 100 degrees celsius within minutes and stays constant at around that temperature until shutting down. the laptop does feel very hot so this is not a coretemp driver issue.

note that this is when plugged into wall and changing cpu percentage usage in power management does nothing what so ever.

Below are images of the computer reaching high temperatures and cpu usage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i9dcwj38zk2eya/20160729_224905.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcz8hijb4t1aec2/20160729_224848.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6tr3hzpjrg3406/20160729_230511.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5xudll751r1gwb/20160729_230540.jpg?dl=0

Magnus_I_Am

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

I'm experiencing this on a Macbook Pro 2011 running Windows 7 Ult SP1 w/ Bootcamp 5.1. I've actually had the system shut itself down a couple occasions while on a Skype chat due to overheating. The area left of the keyboard was scorching hot. Last Friday I ran an in-place upgrade to Windows 10, reverted back to Windows 7 just a couple days ago, and now I'm experiencing high CPU temps. Currently, I'm ranging between high 150's to 195's, with just a couple chrome tabs open, no active AV, and my temperature monitoring software (Open Hardware Monitor). I can confirm that the power management profiles don't affect anything, but I think that's more an issue with how they are configured than them not working correctly. I can also confirm that my two fans are running near peak, at 6172 rpm.

I didn't give it a thought to reinstall the Bootcamp drivers, as the Windows 10 rollback stated all none-core files would stay the same. But they (MS) did warn that some software may not work, and then gave a list, with only a single app on there. So maybe this is the issue I'm seeing - bad drivers. I did have some Windows updates run after the Windows 10 upgrade, and then also after the subsequent rollback to Windows 7. I only recall these being security related, but maybe I missed something. I'll try the Bootcamp drivers and report back.

Thanks.

Solution