Overwhelmed Looking for a cheap laptop to use VDI on...

Bluetobb

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
1. What is your budget?
CHEAP was thinking about $200.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Full size keyboard.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Still waiting for an answer on this. We use Citrix for VDI and I want it to operate at its peak.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable around the house. It does not need to be small or light.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Does not matter. Mostly plugged in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
The main purpose for this laptop will to access work through Virtual Desktop (Citrix). This is the most important task. It will also be used for Microsoft office and web surfing. NOTE: I do have a fully licensed Windows 7 that I can deauthorize off my dieing laptop.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Minimal.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
NA

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible but not looking to buy for longevity.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I think the Windows 7 is on DVD so I would need that. No need to red write or anything else.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Want cheap not crap. You know what that means as far as brands far better than I do. I would rather pay $50 for a brand I have heard of...

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
NA

Okay maybe I was smoking something to think I could get something for that price. I did a quick check from costco. There was some in the $250 to $300 range. Also there was this refurb... To much or to little power for what I need?

http://www.costco.com/Refurbished-Dell-Inspiron-15-Laptop%2c-Intel%C2%AE-Core%E2%84%A2-i3-3110M-2.3GHz.product.100031296.html

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Dan

UrbanMyth

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Yep - $200 puts you in the cheap seats. Your only options would be things like a Chromebook (not windows at all) which would work for VDI (well would for our setup - YMMV), but nothing else in the Windows world. Browse the web fine tho :D

The refurbished Dell would do the job just fine - and is a sane price. Those Insirons are more functional, less pretty - but none the worse for that!

Bluetobb

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

Thanks for the price adjustment. =(

I worded it wrong. I meant I know for a fact that I can use it. I bought it on its own, full version. Upgraded XP to WIn 7 and it was not just the upgrade version. Not sure where to buy a laptop with no operating system to get the savings though.

Bluetobb

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

Thanks! I will check out the Chromebook. My wife mentioned it to me I just was not sure about being so pigeonholed.