Question Packard Bell EasyNote TE11HC Laptop Keyboard Problem

Jun 19, 2018
I'm struggling with a Packard Bell EasyNote TE11HC laptop that I've purchased running windows 10.
Only 3 keys on the keyboard work and the trackpad didn't work at all.

I plugged in a usb keyboard and mouse which work fine. I first updated the bios to v2.17 and tried changing bios settings (such as switching from special keys). Still no good.
I downloaded all the updated drivers from various sites I could find. After that the trackpad started to work, although only the right button works and not the left button.
But the keyboard still only works with 3 keys.

The keyboard ribbon has been disconnected and re-connected so all is ok there.

It still feels like a driver issue and I'm not sure what else to try now. Welcome any ideas?

Thanks

Did you try uninstalling the keyboard driver, rebooting the computer without reinstalling it, and letting the computer reinstall it for you? If not, try that.

If this fixes it, then it was likely a driver. However, should it still not work, and you stated an external keyboard works just fine, then you may well need to replace the attached keyboard. Unless you want to keep using an external one.

To be honest, I am leaning towards it being hardware rather than software.

Jun 19, 2018
Yes, I removed the keyboard driver and let windows re-install. Unfortunately no change. The problem with this easynote is that you can't replace the keyboard separately. It's all in one. Which is why I'm hoping its a driver. My only other thought was the laptop was designed for Windows 8 and perhaps a working driver was never made for windows 10?

Did you try uninstalling the keyboard driver, rebooting the computer without reinstalling it, and letting the computer reinstall it for you? If not, try that.

If this fixes it, then it was likely a driver. However, should it still not work, and you stated an external keyboard works just fine, then you may well need to replace the attached keyboard. Unless you want to keep using an external one.

To be honest, I am leaning towards it being hardware rather than software.

Jun 19, 2018
Apologies for the late reply. I've contacted Packard Bell and they are unable to provide a driver for the keyboard. Driver disks didn't come with these laptops, unless the buyer paid extra for recovery disks.

Does anyone know where I can get a keyboard driver for a TE11HC? It's not on the Packard Bell website.

Not able to find it on the computer or not able to find it online? They are usually separate, the touchpad and keyboard drivers.

Jun 19, 2018
Yeah, I always do a reboot so I know the change has taken effect.

Now using a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard which works fine.

The problem with the TE11HC is that you can't just remove the keyboard. I think they have tried to make the design as cheap as possible. I did purchase another TE11HC in the hope I could swap the casing. Unfortunately the keyboard cable of the other TE11HC is slightly different and has a different ribbon cable and connector on the motherboard. It must have been a slight revision to model. I can't use this donor as the motherboard is faulty so I'm now left with the other TE11HC with a faulty keyboard.

I had hoped that I could acquire the original Win 7 / 8 driver from Packard Bell but seem to have hit a brick wall, unless anyone else knows where I can get one from? If nothing else it would rule out whether it's a driver problem or not.