Pairing B&O A8 (mk2) with LG B7V OLED?

eskimocommando

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I have a mk2 Bang Olufsen A8 iPod speaker system and am wondering if I could connect it to my new tv which is due to arrive shortly. The tv is an LG B7V55inchOLED. Any thoughts on what cables I need and how the two can interact (and if it's even worth pairing them, or if I would be better off getting a soundbar? I know the A8 is probably a bit long in the tooth and might have limited stereo abilities..?) thank you in advance for your time!!

Jonny

Solution
BeoPlay A8 has regular stereo RCA inputs, while the TV only has an optical out. You would need an optical digital (TOSLink) to analog audio converter box to connect them. They both have wifi but the A8 is only able to play files from networked storage, not streaming over it.

But note that the optical out can handle multichannel sound such as DTS-HD so you would need to set the TV audio to stereo. OTOH soundbars can simulate a proper multichannel setup with three actual front speakers and simulated rears generated from reverb delay.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
BeoPlay A8 has regular stereo RCA inputs, while the TV only has an optical out. You would need an optical digital (TOSLink) to analog audio converter box to connect them. They both have wifi but the A8 is only able to play files from networked storage, not streaming over it.

But note that the optical out can handle multichannel sound such as DTS-HD so you would need to set the TV audio to stereo. OTOH soundbars can simulate a proper multichannel setup with three actual front speakers and simulated rears generated from reverb delay.

Solution

eskimocommando

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

Thank you for your reply.

Guess I will have to try them out, and to compare the quality of each. Soundbar might be better as the Dolby atmos function sounds like an interesting idea.