Palm Pre Launching on June 6 for $199

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]so i am paying 57.00 a month for my centro with unlimited data....will i be FORCED to get the EVERYTHING plan for 99.99.....cause i REFUSE to pay that!!!![/citation]That was my reaction first, but the early reports were mistyped. You do NOT need the $99 "Simply Everything" plan to get a Pre, merely the "Everything Data" plan, starting at $69/month with unlimited data, unlimited texting, free roaming, free nights and weekends, and 450 minutes per month. I'm disappointed that I can't continue the $59 plan I have now (no texting), but it's only 70 bucks... just like the iPhone (I believe, I could be wrong about iPhone prices).

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
What about tethering? A big feature of the AT&T 8525 for me is the free tethering that I hear people are actually paying extra for in some cases.

quixel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Not true, actually. At launch, the Pre comes with an old Garnet PalmOS emulator, so you can still run most older Palm applications, even complete with an emulated button bar at the bottom for 5-way navigation.Meanwhile, though I'm leaning towards iPhone if the Pre doesn't work out, I want a hard keyboard (I hate on-screen keys), I want multitasking, and I have a strong aversion to iTunes. I'll be getting my hands on a Pre in-store before deciding if I will buy one, and iPhone is my backup plan, but it does have features I want.[/citation]
Sprint's customer service as far better then ATT's and their netword and wireless are far better so the only poison would be ATT and the iphone

quixel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]That would be such an accomplishment, especially since the iPhone has been around how long?[/citation]
HMMM rexsloverboy sounds like a real POS Apple Zealot... Many of the things he said were just not true..ATT being the best network? LMAO how about not as good as sprint and far more expensive since he mentions costs trying to make it sound like the PRE is more expesnive(which it is not)..Apple Iphone apps are easily ported to the PRE it has been revealed recently soooo =D guess what developers are going to do???the PRE is fractions thicker and the weight i think fractions of an ouch heavier??Big difference.But the screen on the PRE will have a better resolution since it is smaller as loverboy states.Many people actually like the centro I know many people with one.Again the iphone will costs them over a $1000 more in a 2 year contract.Iphone was quite buggy for awhile,They had no apps at all when they first came out while the PRE already has some and also legacy apps and the iphone apps to be ported over hehe. PRE is not tied down the the NAZI APPLE NETWORK that is a huge plus for many.People want think you have a stick up your a$$ and light in your loafers with your nose stuck up in the aire like most APPLE Elitist fanbois.NO keyboard besides a terrible onscreen one that many hate and say it constantly mistypes,dropped calls all the time on ATT network,NO MULTI TASKING!!!!!!,NO SYNERGY!!!!!NO TOUCHSTONE!!!!proprietory cables for everything!!!!OTHER APPLE FANS EWWW!!!!!! I mean the PRE has it all over the IPHONE and their NAZI FANS!! WE HAVE FREEDOM!!! oh yes you get gps,text,tv,radio and everything else and more for less then what ATT and APPLE charge and they have none of that. OUCHH They actually suck asss.

quixel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]by te way i am using my delta airlines discount to get my price that low...[/citation]

Actually there is a way to get your loyalty discount still if you have one so it is $69.99 minus it.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Something for you Pre fans. Iphone 2009 specs releasing July.

Lets do a comparison….
Iphone 2009 - Pre
1) 32GB vs 8GB
2) Video Recording/Editing vs No video
3) OLED (color,viewing angles, battery life) vs LCD
4) Longer battery life vs Shorter battery life
5) FM Transmitter vs No FM transmitter
6) 3.2MP vs 3MP
7) Larger Screen OLED vs Smaller Screen LCD
GPS/Compas/Turn-by-turn vs GPS
9) 256 RAM vs 256 RAM
10) Fast Objective C games vs Java Based Games
11) Webkit Browser vs Webkit Browser
12) 3G vs 3G
13) 600Mhz ARM vs 600Mhz ARM
14) MMS with video vs No Video MMS
15) WIFI with Adhoc Gaminig (OS3.0) vs WIFI
16) Audio Sharing (OS3.0) vs NO Audio Sharing
17) 35,000 Apps vs Handful Apps
18) Itunes Store (Music, Podcasts) vs No Itunes
19) Bluetooth 2.1 vs Bluetooth 2.1
20) Multi Touch vs Multi Touch
21) Non Physical vs Physical Keyboard (Wears Out)
22) AT&T Network vs Sprint Network
23) $199(16GB)/$299(32GB) vs $299(8GB - $100 Rebate)
24) Thousands Accessories (car, docks, cases) vs Hardly none

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Just for everyone's information...

Since the Pre will be out a good month before the iPhone 2009, and since I have no idea where those specs for the new iPhone are from or if they're legit, we're still comparing the iPhone 3G to the Pre, since that's the actual competition until such time as a new iPhone is actually released.

That in mind, I give this link to you.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/pre-vs-iphone/

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
1 Month of sales over iPhone 2009 is not competition (nor an iPhone killer). So Pre fans cans say what they want if those specs are true (which the Apple blog says they are).... Bye bye Pre. Plus you are comparing it to the iPhone 2G/3G which are over a two/one year(s) old and are getting new features with OS3.0 (Adhoc Wifi, MMS, A2DP Bluetooth, File Transfer, Copy/Paste, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.