Solved! Panasonic CF-54 no backlight

Sep 24, 2019
I have a CF-54 that I am working on and cannot get the backlight to come on for the monitor. I have ensured that concealed mode has been disabled, and looked for the inverter to test but could not find it. I know normally it is in the bottom of the monitor bezel but I did not see it on this model. I can hook the laptop to an external monitor and it works as it should. The cable seems to run from the monitor straight down. I did follow and checked the connection at both ends but there is still no backlight. I am fairly certain it is between the inverter and the backlight itself but do not. I have contacted Panasonic support and am still waiting for their response. Any help would be appreciated :)

Solution
Thank you for the clarification... I was hoping to find the inverter to test but I guess I will start with ordering a replacement screen.

Update from Panasonic:

Dear Customer,

Please try the following key combination to resolve this issue:

FN+F8

Thank you,

Not only have I done this, but I even stated in my request that I this feature was disabled in the BIOS after it did not work, followed by re-enabling and disabling again prior to making contact. Some customer service.
The inverter for it should be in the display and 'near' the bottom, but not on the actual bottom or front. I haven't looked at that exact model, but going by most of the toughbook models, it is actually on the back near the bottom, and hidden under tape.

I can't find a video on that model to show you directly, however there are some for other models that will give you a general idea of where to look. Try these videos and they should help you get a better idea of the location... https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...vuzkAhWQvZ4KHS6oC-UQ_AUIESgB&biw=1357&bih=726

Sep 24, 2019
Thank you for your quick response. At the link below I have taken pictures of what I can see when removing the bezel and rear cover. It appears that the connection itself is attached to the LCD screen. Here is an image of a new one for sale.
N140BGE-E33.jpg

View: https://imgur.com/a/RrBl54H

Sep 24, 2019
Thank you for the clarification... I was hoping to find the inverter to test but I guess I will start with ordering a replacement screen.

Update from Panasonic:

Dear Customer,

Please try the following key combination to resolve this issue:

FN+F8

Thank you,

Not only have I done this, but I even stated in my request that I this feature was disabled in the BIOS after it did not work, followed by re-enabling and disabling again prior to making contact. Some customer service.

Solution
Sep 24, 2019
For anyone else who comes across this, there is no inverter because it is a LED LCD display. 😑
In my case after learning this I ordered a new monitor and just installed and still have no backlight. After finally getting in touch with someone at who is an expert, they said it is most likely an issue with the motherboard or the monitor due and the cable / connectors being an unlikely issue due to the monitor still functioning even though there is no backlight. Since I replaced the monitor that means something is shot with the motherboard.

Odd, when looking up the parts for that device it brought up an inverter. Perhaps a different version. Sadly the motherboard would be the only other option. But depending on how much it will cost, on top of the funds you have already spent, it might be wise to consider if fixing it is worth the cost over getting a new device.