Solved! Panasonic SA-XR45 and TCL Roku TV

Lspaddo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
Ok, giving this a shot. Hopefully it doesn't go in to the void.

I have a Panasonic SA-XR45. When I first got it I had a TV with compatible technology. The surround sound worked for the TV audio, tuner audio, CD audio - even a VCR!

Now I have a TCL Roku TV (model 40FS3800). It has an SPDIF audio output, RCA INputs, (2) HDMI jacks (which I don't know if they're outputs or inputs) an ARC audio out and a headphone 3.5mm audio out jack.

I have managed to get TV audio to come through the surround system via an optical cable, disabling the TV internal speakers and choosing PCM on the TV audio settings. However it's only utilizing 2 of my five speakers. Bummer!

I've done a fair amount of googling. My head's about to explode.

What it SEEMS is in order to get full use of the surround system I should be using this thing (or something very much like it):

J-Tech Digital HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 in 1 Out Audio Extractor w/Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & IR Control Supports ARC, MHL, 4K, Full 3D, 4kx2k, 1080P (Support Apple TV 4Gen)
found on Amazon.

I have cables of all kinds.

I AM NOT A TECH-HEAD whatsoever. It's miraculous I've gotten this far.

Is this $39 thing what I need? If it is, how exactly (I mean I need step-by-step) do I hook it up? Will I need to choose certain TV audio settings? Will I be able to get surround sound for Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime video (I stream 99.9% of the time) using this thing?

If anybody can assist please keep your explanations and instructions basic, basic, basic, basic.

Thank you!!! I really want ALL my speakers to be in use for my TV audio.

Solution
If the TV can't be set to output in PCM then you can use the box to strip the audio from external HDMI sources and connect it to the Panasonic.
The one you mention is 1.3b so t probably won't pass 4k regardless of the rest of the description. Has to support HDMI 2.0 to do that.
First, update the firmware of the TV, if available

Which lights are on at the Panasonic? 2ch mix, enhanced,....

Try the TV settings:
Did you set the Audio mode to AUTO and not stereo?
(Home screen menu > Settings >Audio > Audio mode)

Settings > Audio > S/PDIF > set this to auto detect

Panasonic:
If the unit does not automatically recognize Dolby Digital
Surround EX or DTS-ES and output is 5.1 channels:
¡ ¡ Press [ENHANCED SURROUND] to switch the mode on manual

Lspaddo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
Thanks .

I checked: TV firmware is up to date.

When you say "what lights are on?" do you mean when I have the TV on and the receiver what shows on the receiver display? I'll have to check.

I did try setting the audio settings on the TV to auto-detect but no sound came out. However I didn't confirm "enhanced surround" was activated at the same time. I cn try that after work.

I looked quick on the TV before I left the house this morning (receiver not on at the time) and selecting "auto-detect" brought up this on the screen:

"Select auto-detect to read supported audio formats from your receiver using HDMI CEC.
Requires an HDMI connection to your receiver.
Stereo is selected if unable to detect supported formats."

Should I still try it making sure enhanced surround is turned on?

TV audio output should be set to bitstream not PCM. That should work. Don't expect output from the surround speakers unless the content uses them. The three fronts and the sub should work most of the time. On old mono movies you may only hear the center speaker unless you use a different surround mode.

Lspaddo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
TV audio output should be set to bitstream not PCM. That should work. Don't expect output from the surround speakers unless the content uses them. The three fronts and the sub should work most of the time. On old mono movies you may only hear the center speaker unless you use a different surround mode.
Im I'm not home at the moment to confirm but I don't think bitstream is an audio option on the TV.

I'll confirm that afterwork.

Also, I wrote to J-Tech Digital's tech support asking THEM if, based on my circumstances, I needed that thing and the tech replied I would PLUS a separate streaming device.

Lspaddo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
If the TV can't be set to output in PCM then you can use the box to strip the audio from external HDMI sources and connect it to the Panasonic.
The one you mention is 1.3b so t probably won't pass 4k regardless of the rest of the description. Has to support HDMI 2.0 to do that.
Hi.

TV was able to be set to PCM. But I'm looking for more than 2 speakers to work.

I don't have 4k and won't for the forseeable future. :)

Do you think I still need that J-Tech thing?

Thank you!

Lspaddo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
I should also have mentioned: I have no external HDMI sources. The TV is the only thing with HDMI.