Passmark. Is it relevant?

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
As I was surfing the other day, I looked at the signature of Mark W. He has a Passmark score of 4500 and change. Just on a whim, I decided to see what mine would be.

Now, Mark W has a 4970k and gtx770 with 16Gb ram vrs my 3770k and gtx 660ti and 16Gb of ram, so I fully expected to score somewhat lower. Wrong. As you can see, I scored higher.

As I watched this test running, it is a cpu power test, combined with ram, hdd, gpu, Windows etc. All things being roughly equal with ram, hdd, Windows etc, you'd think the better cpu and gpu would tip the scales in Marks favor. This I find slightly confusing. Does OC play that much into scoring considering my meager 4.2GHz?

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Ah, ok, I'm blind lol. But still, even a 4670k is a very respectful cpu, is your i5 rated so close if not ahead of my i7 to allow for the discrepancy between a measly 4.2oc and a 660ti vrs a 770? 4.2 can be done on Intel stock cooler at the 1.096v I'm running and still be able to run under 100°. The whole thing just seems iffy to me that that little OC means that much. If the scores were both above 10,000 then It'd be different, but at 4-5 thousand, 500 points is pretty big comparatively.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Agreed. If passmark looks at CPU power, then the I7 3770 has to be more powerful than an i5 4670k. The 3770 has more thread ability, which is why I recently upgraded to one. Your 660TI is 5-10% slower than a 760, so in a straight GPU fight he should have you beat. As for me, after the 2900XT debacle I don't even look at synthetic benchies anymore. Generally a waste though there are a few times some of them can help you troubleshoot if something is wrong.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
I just looked at my gpu scores. My oc'd 660ti OC just bounced the hell out of a nvidia 980 in all categories of 2d except 1, in which it was 0.7% behind. Seriously? Starting to think passmark has some funky kinda testing if that can happen. Oh, and that 5019 score was stock gpu, with gpu oc'd it is now 5493. But then again, according to msi kombuster, my OC settings put my 660ti above a stock Gigabyte 960 G1, so who knows.