Password vault advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm looking for a good password vault program for my mother to use. I'm looking for something that has good encryption for the stored passwords, can automatically log you into web sites, and does NOT have a subscription. Free of course would be preferred but a one-time payment for something that has clear advantages would be fine.

Solution
This will be my last reply because I can't bother anymore trying to help you.
I never recommended any software that has a premium membership in any of my posts. I pointed them out on the 3rd post, saying the ones that were reliable and how all of them were subscription. Then I pointed out the solution for your problem and the answer to the question. The only reliable ones that do NOT have that membership are Lastpass (free) and Keepass (free).
I don't know if you can't understand it or what but I've told you so many times my suggestion I can't even understand what more you want. Not sure if you're just trolling around. Because I am not.

Just use free lastpass. No subscription.

NunoAntunes

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
I would recommend Lastpass extension.
I use it myself and it is pretty good! You just have a master password that manages all of your passwords. It can generate random ones too and it's free of charge.

NunoAntunes

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
By the way, the premium ones usually charge you a year fee. Lastpass premium is 12$/year and imo it is still the best around.
I've also heard about Dashlane being good but it's 40$/year, which I found way too expensive.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I've seen some that are one-time payment to buy the software. Not that subscription BS where if you stop paying it stops working. You should not have to pay for software like that.

NunoAntunes

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
DJRWolf, I apologize but I don't believe there's any vault like that. The most popular are Lastpass (12/year), Dashlane (40/year), Keepass(free, but free lastpass is probably better/more intuitive than this alternative), Sticky password (20/year) and roboform (20/year).
I would just advise you to use Lastpass free, it's really good and I'm not a fan of that year-license business model either (and ugh, the Adobe one which u have to pay 30€/month just to have 1 program is just dreadful!).

I've only used keepass and Lastpass from this list (the free ones). Lastpass is far more intuitive and easier to use. It also has a better reputation. Keepass is also really good and I have to stand for it because hurray GNU Open Software \o/
Just pick the one you like the best from these two and stay away from the others if you don't like yearly subscriptions.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
There are software out there that does what I am asking for a one-time payment if not for free. I have seen people talking about it in tech reviews but it was some time ago and I forget what the name of the software is.

The whole concept of having to pay a subscription for this kind of software is just bad. Most security software requires a company to sink a lot of time and effort to keep up with the newest malware and I can understand subscription for that but this is just an encrypted password vault and the only upkeep needed is patching the few security holes that are found. Please do not pad your post count with replies that are worthless to me.

NunoAntunes

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
"There are software out there that does what I am asking for a one-time payment if not for free."
Man, i've told you your answer! I don't care about stats whatsoever! LASTPASS free and so is KEEPASS.
I'm 95% sure YOU WON'T find 1 time paid software that's good as a password vault because I don't know any and I've used some now and also did a lot of research back when I picked mine.

Again: Best for me: LASTPASS (free). 2nd best: KeePass (free).

I apreciated you being rude towards me when I've already told you the answer twice and giving me -1 when I'm just trying to help you with my experience on such. Because I earn big bucks from the amount of posts I do.

Have a good day.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I was short with you because YOU WERE RUDE TO ME. I quite clearly said in this threads first post that I am not in any way shape or form interested in password vault software that is subscription based and yet you just start putting in that very software that I VERY clearly said I don't want.

If you don't want to annoy me then don't ignore what I am asking for. If you don't have a suggestion that fits what I'm looking for don't post anything.

NunoAntunes

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
This will be my last reply because I can't bother anymore trying to help you.
I never recommended any software that has a premium membership in any of my posts. I pointed them out on the 3rd post, saying the ones that were reliable and how all of them were subscription. Then I pointed out the solution for your problem and the answer to the question. The only reliable ones that do NOT have that membership are Lastpass (free) and Keepass (free).
I don't know if you can't understand it or what but I've told you so many times my suggestion I can't even understand what more you want. Not sure if you're just trolling around. Because I am not.

Just use free lastpass. No subscription.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.