Patent Approved: Apple Now Owns "Slide to Unlock"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, seriously, while Apple is definitely partly at fault for this something needs to be down about the patent system. If something like this managed to pass as a patent there is something completely wrong with the system and it won't be long before companies try patenting other ridiculous things...

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Before they did "Occupy Wallstreet" they should have done "Occupy Your Local Patent Office". And crap all over their walls. Can't stand these idiots approving senseless things. I think I will send the patent office some hate mail for how they are waste of my tax dollars.
Seriously how in your right mind do you approve something like this?

G

This patent is a violation of US Patent Office rule, which says: "If the inventor describes the invention in a printed publication or uses the invention publicly, or places it on sale, he/she must apply for a patent before one year has gone by, otherwise any right to a patent will be lost."
Apparently you can buy a law in this country! Shame. shame, shame!

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I wonder how long it took Apple to engineer this gesture. Frankly I think it must have taken about a minute. I am pretty sure that other manufacturers will come up with ways that are just as practical. As long as I can unlock my phone (not an iPhone) I'm happy.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]unbelivable[/nom]Good thing that Henry Ford didn't patent the steering wheel....[/citation]

Exactly... It is truly a good thing. Except I guess if they Apple boys all drive Fords. Then I guess the sentiment would be lost on them.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
So does this mean that my old nokia that has a software installed that features slide to unlock, way before the first iPhone was even launched, is now illegal?

G

I want to be able unlock my phone by showing it a middle finger pointed upwards, with the camera software recognizing it as MY OWN MIDDLE FINGER. Can I get a patent for improving the human-smartphone interaction with such a gesture?

G

I'm going to patent "turn to unlock"...

No one will be able to enter their home without paying me royalties, including the apple suits!

G

I can file a patent for Icephone and sue apple for following the name too closely!

This is just stupid.

My Galaxy II has slide to unlock etc ... you can't seriously patent that!!

Next it will be "twist" to unlock, "lick" to unlock ... "retinal scan" to unlock ... wonder if those grredy apple tossers want to try them as well?

You shouldn't be able to patent hand movements.

If that were the case the Queen clearly has patented the wave ...

Apevia

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Orrrrr.... manufacturers could simply make the option of going right to left or left to right and say it's user defined and no longer predefined and circumvent the patent. English is an easy language to twist around.

Status
Not open for further replies.