Patent Lawsuit May Boot Spotify From USA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
USA is the king of Lawsuits!! Oh well sometimes we have to let loose technological advancement or else it will kill competition and small tech company won't be able to invest into R&D. Big companies will then grow while small ones will disappear.

Advancement no matter what the direction is still a progress.

G

What gets to me is the expense!

Imagine instead, Buying food for the starving people in Somalia with the money spent on these stupid patent battles, makes me feel sick!

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
This is so wrong in many ways. [citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]I dont really like these types of lawsuits, but at least here the company suing is actual creating a similar product. My problem with it is if the patent is just a vague idea, or if its more technical and Spotify copied their setup for streaming.I also think Spotify might be sleezy. They say invite only but I went to the site and put in my email and got a reply right away. The quickness and ease of getting the invite makes me wonder if its all just a PR scheme. Make it seem more exclusive so the users feel special when they get that invite.Its pretty nice though, decent selection of music. Complements Pandora very nicely. If I know exactly what I want to listen to, I use spotify, if I dont I use Pandora. Either way I am not paying a cent for music now.[/citation]

The company suing are creating a similar product? Not a chanse. They are just holding a vauge patent. They are tryingt o boot spotify off the market in the US. That just screams broken god damn patent system. They should completly revamp it to only apply to physical non electronic components. It should never applie to any kind of software, service or abstract things. And it should be given to the inventor given that he can present a physical object.

G

To the person who stated everyone would just "rip off Windows" and apparently sell it were it not for patents: Windows always was & is enormously on the brink of becoming obsolete because of it's closed source software patented way of doing things.

What start up in it's right mind would pay those kinds of licensing fees for a dying breed? Dinosaur - it's either open source or get left behind with the rest of the Windows/software patent lovers

G

I hope PacketVideo goes out of business and loses everything. I want to print the entire lawsuit out and personally feed it to whoever's idea this was.

G

jimmysmitty, software patents are not necessary to prevent "everybody from ripping off windows". Other parts of intellectual property rights, like copyright, take care of that. Perhaps you didn't know that software patents don't exist in Europe, and the European tech industry is doing fine without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.