Pay-As-You-Go Internet In The Works Say ISPs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
competition in certain markets is not healthy! Look at gas stations, if one raises their price the guy across the street is not going to stand by and not make that extra dime per gallon. It's price fixing but as long the government is getting their cut they are happy to let it continue. I used to hate the Freaking FCC but of late, I am loving them to death! Seems they really do care about us and not just a puppet for the RIAA.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]MustWarnOthers[/nom]... I'm for a free market, I'm just not for a free market where the major players dictate the rules.[/citation]

But a market where the major players dictates the rules is not a free market, it's an oligopoly.

G

Alright everyone, take a step back and assess the situation: No one is going to switch to a "pay-per-gigabyte" service plan. They're not going to switch, because they know classes would revolt and world governments would be overturned, and gamma rays would burst. Forcing this down our throats would kill them and their industry. Internet growth would not only hit a standstill but regress.

On top of that, people really underestimate consumer demand. Come on people, have some faith in capitalism. The internet is the least regulated industry in the world (short of noodling), and because of that it is also the fastest growing. How come we've suddenly run into a time in which it all needs regulation even though it's still running as smoothly as ever? Oh wait, we don't. And we don't, because if all the major companies went to pay-as-you-go, one company would spring from no where offering a monthly plan. Even if that monthly plan was 3 times what we were paying before, everyone would flock to it, AT&T wouldn't be making a dime off of their mult-billion-dollar infrastructure, and they would be forced to go back into the monthly game, and competition would once again commence.

This is nothing short of scare tactic to get people to buy more cable internet and reduce their use of the internet. A scare tactic, nothing more.

Free market is totally flawless. It will fix itself, given the opportunity.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
the telecoms have so many lobbiests wining and dining our representatives that it doesn't matter what we want - congress has forgotten that they work for us. They actually voted to keep the new health care bill from being posted online or available publicly. Your representatives wont even tell you what they are voting on. I have no faith in government intervention. This whole country is going to hell in a handbasket.

G

How come the "unavoidable" from the original article turned into "avoidable" in this article?

Heck, it's not even Jane...she'd be forgiven if it was her as she's usually slow in these matters of getting things done right :D.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
This is a load of BS and I am pissed off real bad.For one thing I am an artist and run a huge website for my bands/art.There is a lot of things to download on my site and it is all free to the public.All my audio is free at 256 - 320k mp3 and all my videos are free of charge.
most important to me is the profession made documentary I did myself on Jewish Life before,during,and after world war 2 in the carpathian mountain/northern transylvanian region.my documentary is very detailed and is 5 1/2 hours long.you can download the 6 DVD ISO = around 23 gigs.
this kind of move will of course screw me as well as who knows how many others out there like me.
my site is www.bigmeathammer.com
my holocaust memorial is http://www.bigmeathammer.com/aushwitz.htm

of course the only reason why ISP would do this is pure greed.they are assholes and wish to screw all of us.you guys should all know that cause we are all computer geeks on this site and we build machines and have used em for years.
listening to these ISP cry for more money is sickening.fuckoff we all know how cheap hardware has gotten.we build machines and we are not stupid.

i wish we could all build networks on our cities to connect and then we could drop all these greedy corporatins and shove it up their rich asses.
as you can tell i am pissed off.wonder how many will bother to see my art when this happens.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Im personaly thinking of switched from rogers to tech savvy, my speed isn't as high but for 30 dollors canadian a 5mb line in an a 800kb line out, and best of all 200gb cap, or 40 dollors same speeds NO cap! Booyaa :D

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]mcreskiller[/nom]Im personaly thinking of switched from rogers to tech savvy, my speed isn't as high but for 30 dollors canadian a 5mb line in an a 800kb line out, and best of all 200gb cap, or 40 dollors same speeds NO cap! Booyaa[/citation]
And the reason its so fast, they dont fn have a cable provider, if we get that we are canceling cable because the internet is way better for movies and stuff

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
This is complete bullshit, I don't want to pay more I want better speeds and more reliable service. ISPs need to cut the crap and start delivering better service, oh and fuck with the internet and expect your head to roll.

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 15Mbit/1Mbit connection with a 160GB cap... I don't think I've gone over by much.. not that I keep track but I do look at the logs on DD-WRT occasionally..

G

One Reason people are ditching the traditional cable services in favor of the internet is the packages they offer. Basic tv package for time warner has at least ten infomercial stations, religious stations and other useless garbage that is never wanted in the first place. the internet lets us choose and gives us exactly what we want, this show, that show and this one. why do I have to pay for 500 channels when I only want these 8.
choice less again.

If I could get just the 8 channels I want and not be charged for all the other crap I might agree with the metering of the bandwidth, the problem is that they want it every way they can, Damned be the consumers, death to any choice, its our way (ISP and content providers) or the highway.

All our politicians belong to them.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The only way I can see caps ever working for people who actually use the bandwidth is if once you hit the cap your speed slows down, I am not saying to a crawl just something like 1Mbps/256Kbps (which is pretty slow) To grandma who just uses her internet to do email... omg what do they use? 10-30 MB's a month?

One last thought occurs to me if 5% of the users are using 70% of the bandwidth then that means that 95% of of users are not really using what they paid for... So it sounds to me like the ISP's are saying "Hey we are tired of only ripping off 95% of our customers we are going to need to get 100%"

Last thought Korea and Japan may have more population density then the US but they also have like 1/10th the customers so while you may have to lay out more cable/fibre to get to the customers here it pays off more in the long run, also the prices are cheaper in those countries... so we pay more for less and the ISP's whine they need higher profits, what for? Are they planning on rolling out more capacity? If they go metered then more capacity will not be needed since no one will be able to afford to download at capacity. This will pretty much shut off free internet at wireless hot spots and at your local library.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"But the government's "net neutrality" is stirring up the pot, forcing carriers to treat every consumer equally no matter their bandwidth usage."

while I love the part of this that prevents them for discriminating based on content, this part of it is very poor. ISPs sell a product: bandwidth, just like electric companies sell electricity and water companies sell water. they should be able to sell their product how ever they want, as long as they make it clear. I do think competitive price per GB is the best way of doing it though. brings it inline with the other utilities. if I have a house with energy saving bulbs, I don't wanna have to pay the same electricity bill that the guy next door with his supercollider is paying!

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
What should happen is what is best for the country. That means best for us, best for the internet service providers, best for the companies providing content and services. How could it be otherwise? And our government should ensure this is so. I'm for a free market insofar as it works. A free market doesn't always work. The internet service providers should be building up their infrastructure as well as providing service at a reasonable cost and by that I mean they should be making enough money but not too much and before you tell me it's wrong for anyone to interfere you should think of a better way. Competition in a free market is fine and good when it works but there are paradigm changing changes occurring and that's what a government is for, is it not? To be precise, we want the progression of internet infrastructure to continue at a reasonable pace and we also want broadcast T.V. to continue without too much trauma. This is what our government can do.

I love this country as I do the entire Earth. We can have it all, I just want to keep the casualties to a minimum.

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
gorehound:

This is a load of BS and I am pissed off real bad.For one thing I am an artist and run a huge website for my bands/art.There is a lot of things to download on my site and it is all free to the public.All my audio is free at 256 - 320k mp3 and all my videos are free of charge.
most important to me is the profession made documentary I did myself on Jewish Life before,during,and after world war 2 in the carpathian mountain/northern transylvanian region.my documentary is very detailed and is 5 1/2 hours long.you can download the 6 DVD ISO = around 23 gigs.
this kind of move will of course screw me as well as who knows how many others out there like me.
my site is www.bigmeathammer.com
my holocaust memorial is http://www.bigmeathammer.com/aushwitz.htm

of course the only reason why ISP would do this is pure greed.they are assholes and wish to screw all of us.you guys should all know that cause we are all computer geeks on this site and we build machines and have used em for years.
listening to these ISP cry for more money is sickening.fuckoff we all know how cheap hardware has gotten.we build machines and we are not stupid.

i wish we could all build networks on our cities to connect and then we could drop all these greedy corporatins and shove it up their rich asses.
as you can tell i am pissed off.wonder how many will bother to see my art when this happens.

The issue is the infrastructure of the internet. It's the cabling to everyone's house and the computers that route traffic. I don't see this changing much as laying out and controlling and running the infrastructure is the job of corporations or government because it's big and expensive. But hey, would it be possible to make a people's internet? What would we use to connect? I don't know, I'm not that informed.

G

dumb. I pay $50 a month for gay time warner RR, a whopping max 1.5Mbps, which usually runs around 500kbps. How the fuck much bandwidth could I possibley be using where its deemed that its time to pay as you go? Im not charged per hour of HD TV I watch. I say socialize the shit, I hate all the big players that much.

I'll just get an AT&T wireless broadband card with unlimited useage for $60 a month.

troger555

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
ATT is just pissed because everyone is going to cell phones or Vonage! Now they can charge you for all your calls again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

I took intro to internet and have great knowledge of the internet. But the book claims almost 75% of the internet is composed of SPAM, were most bandwidth comes from e-mails with attachments from fraud/scam/illegal hooks. If we got rid of that -- half of the bandwidth problem would be fixed. This is were the problem layes.

G

While I think that bandwidth metering is a bad idea, I would point out that it would probably greatly reduce the number of pwned zombies out there - all the sudden, the unsecured Windows box that's sending 10,000 spam emails a day is a financial problem for the owner...

OTOH, if the telcos try this, they may find out just why Google bought all the dark fiber a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.