(PC) Audio Setup Clarification/Help

Bmacker

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of doing a complete overhaul of my audio setup for my personal rig at home. I use it for an unhealthy amount of hours after work for various projects, gaming, and other hobbies. After spending quite a bit of money building my dream PC, I feel like it's time to start with the audio overhaul.

I'm very new to anything audio related, so I really need some guidance. I've researched a bit, and I /THINK/ I have everything I need down.

- Audiotechnica AT2035
- Schiit Magni 3 Amp
- Scarlett 2i2 (I do some podcasts from time to time, that's why I don't use the solo)
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm

To my knowledge, this is all I would need for a decent audio/recording setup, right?

AT2035 for the microphone, obviously. The Scarlett 2i2 to connect the XLR cable into, and the then the 2i2 into the PC. The Magni 3 for the amplifier to get the 80 ohms my headphones can push. Do I have the right, or am I missing something?

Also, is the AT2035 a solid choice for someone not looking to spend an arm and a leg for a good microphone? I currently use a $50 digital reference, and have been for years. Realistically, I like to have the microphone positions slightly above my monitor(s) out of immediate sight (not blocking any of my screens). Is a condenser microphone good for that? I have my entire office padded with acoustic foam panels, roughly 96 of them (1ft x 1ft panels)

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
- The AT2035 is a great vocal mic.
- The Scarlett is a great USB interface. It has good Mic Preamps, and low latency.
- Headphones are a personal decision based on preference, your sound preference, comfort, open or closed back, etc....

Overall this is an A1 setup without breaking the bank. A good value when it comes to higher end. The only questionable purchase might be the headphone amp which may not be required. You could plug directly into the Scarlett and see how the headphones perform.

The condenser mic is good. It picks up from the front so it doesn't get the keyboard noise while podcasting. You'll want a boom for it obviously and position it just right to get your voice and not the keyboard. The AT2035 is one of the best mics in that price range.

Also the Scarlett is powered through the USB. This can cause lag problems and such because of how the motherboard handles USB and CPU processing etc... Read up on External DACs or USB interfaces hub powered. You may want a powered USB hub that plugs into the wall. Newer motherboards like those form MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte have dedicated 5V powered USB hubs that are certified for use with external DACs. If you have this feature you are all set. MSI is called USB Audio Power, Gigabyte is USB Dac up, and Asus is TrueVolt USB.

Bmacker

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015

As your recommendation, what would be a good DAC to purchase that is independently powered instead of USB?
I have an MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM motherboard. Found here;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130870

I was looking at the Monoprice series of DAC/AMPs last night and had this one saved:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513900012&sr=8-4&keywords=monoprice+amp

As for a boom, I have the RODE PSA1 already.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Definitely get the Scarlett. It is your DAC with the additional XLR inputs with phantom power for the microphone. You want this. I'm just saying that you might have a problem with the USB power so the solution is to get a powered hub, but motherboards now are so well made this is rarely a problem and the fix is easy. It's not a big deal.

The Scarlett also has a built in headphone amp so you don't need the Schiit. The only reason to get a seperate headphone amp is if you are unsatisfied with the one built into the Scarlett. Buy some reviews I've read said the Scarlett gets loud enough to make headphones painful so that is good.

And that microphone is legendary. It's top quality in it's price range. The only way you could switch things up and save tons of money would be to just get a normal DAC for only your headphones and buy a USB microphone designed for computers. It's wouldn't be near as good as the XLR setup with the Scarlett.

Bmacker

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015

Got both the microphone and the Scarlett, and it was absolutely worth the purchase and backed up recommendation you gave. Thank you very much! You were also right about the headphones being more than enough paired with the Scarlett as well!

TRENDING THREADS