PC-Doctor 6 Service Center Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nice review. I use PC Doctor 6 on a daily basis and can say that it is quite an expansion over Service Center 5. I also use diagnostic utilities such as DFT and Memtest, however one thing that PC Doctor has over every other free utility is the logging capabilities from DOS. I have it scripted to run the whole onslaught of tests and save the log file to the MUD. This is especially helpful when a customer want's to see proof that something passed or something failed. It can also come in handy when sending a unit off to a specialized repair center if parts arent available to you. Also, the cost of a replacement MUD (at least to my company) is $130. So if you go high end, SC6 actually becomes more of a bargain.

G

I also use PC Doctor but the problem I have with it is that is slows performance down. There is also a bug in the program. On system shutdown you receive an error message. There is times where the program will not allow system shutdown at all.

G

if you no what you are doing you do not need this crap! I worked in a shop for a year that had all of this specialty troubleshooting stuff and absolutely no one used it! The only testing software u need is memtest and any hd tools, and they are free. Stop buying this stuff and learn how to fix and diagnose without all these 399$ "tools" and you will save money and learn something.

G

Why should a computer break? Oh ya I remember: failure to perform to proper quality control standards vs price since the beginning of time. Now everyone with their $399 Walmart and Bestbuy piece of junk computers can just go right back out and buy more crap to ultimately slow down a slow worthlyss computer. This is why I build my machines from scratch using high quality compponents, not some big old computer companie who throws pennies at the lowest bidder.

This seems like a great product and fortune smiles for the inventer. Unfortunatly this mess costs the consumer millions in the long run, just to have a half broken machine until the end of mankind.

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I think the range of responses shows just what I thought about this product: it works for some and not for others, and indeed those willing to substitute ingenuity and work for convenience and extra cost can get there from here without necessarily buying the kit. But I have to believe that hobbyists and do-it-yourselfers do not represent a key target market for this product anyway.

G

It's obvious the defines who you are. If you're a do-it-yourselfer
or home user, it's a little steep to pay 4 big ones. However, if
you're pro tek and you make you're living fixing other people's
machines, the cost is not a big deal. Every proffesional mechanic
owns his or her own tools. And if you're always on the field, you want to be as light and convienent while still being resourceful
and sucessful. What's the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.