PC Gaming laptop

ajuk

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi there I am looking for a little advice on few few things..

I would like to buy a gaming laptop and have never played pc games i have always gone with a console but currently dont own a console, PC or even a TV right now as have been moving around and gave my ps3 to my little brother a couple of years ago

I would like a laptop as i could be moving around again so would like to be able to take it with. Also i have no room for a desktop.

A few needs i guess i have is i dont have access to internet (but could download games at brothers if needed) where i am right now so i need to have a cd drive to install games? And would also use it to watch dvds.

I have been looking at the Asus G751jt (gtx970m) as it has a big screen and the whole cooling thing seems good as I'd use it alot on my bed.

Is it just crazy to spend £1300ish on this laptop? Seems like apple is around the same and everyone has those these days (friends and family seem to think its a bad idea to spend this amount)

What would this laptop be like compared to the latest consoles for gaming does it look better/worse? will it only last a year or two in terms of breaking down or keeping up with the latest games as i could buy a ps4 and big tv plus a cheap laptop for this price but i would like to get into pc games.

A few games i would like to use this for would be new console type FPS games Arma3
fifa/PES, far cry

Sorry this post is a bit of a mess i only have a mobile right and thank you so much for advice and help it is much appreciated

Solution
I mean I think if the laptop is going to be your primary entertainment center I could certainly justify spending 1300, thats just my opinion though.
Obviously dont get a Mac for Gaming
The laptop's GTX970M will definitely outperform the consoles in graphic power and you can definitely run those games at playable settings using GeForce Expierence (Might have to lower settings on ARMA3 a bit so you can play it with 60FPS) but those other games are going to run good at 60fps.
Life Range depends how you use it
If you game hardcore 5 hours a day that will obviously give you less life than using it maybe only a few hours a week for gaming and then doing light things like watching DVDs

I would definitely spend 1300 on a powerful laptop that...

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I mean I think if the laptop is going to be your primary entertainment center I could certainly justify spending 1300, thats just my opinion though.
Obviously dont get a Mac for Gaming
The laptop's GTX970M will definitely outperform the consoles in graphic power and you can definitely run those games at playable settings using GeForce Expierence (Might have to lower settings on ARMA3 a bit so you can play it with 60FPS) but those other games are going to run good at 60fps.
Life Range depends how you use it
If you game hardcore 5 hours a day that will obviously give you less life than using it maybe only a few hours a week for gaming and then doing light things like watching DVDs

I would definitely spend 1300 on a powerful laptop that would be my only source of entertainment and also a really nice Gaming rig.

Solution

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I still think it would last I mean thats on a general basis.

I would definitely buy an extended warranty that lasts and is valid for a long time so that if the laptop does slow down to heavy usage you can get a replacement or repair easily
The parts in the laptop are very good and will last you though

ajuk

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
Ok thanks for your help. Another thing I'd like to ask you is of i dont have internet connection and i buy disk versions on games will theh run properly or am i going to have problems.

Just where i am now is in the countryside at familys and they apparently only have a 40gb limit and had previously gone over and was charged ALOT of money so no one can use it and they only use it when they really have to. They only have a work laptop they use on the odd occasion at home so everyone uses their mobile to look online.
its a nightmare lol

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Haha lol,
The only reason I see you needing internet for is probably the Activation of the Game, (which should not really take up any internet at all)
The only other time i see you needing internet is when there is a patch or something of that sort that improves a games performance so that would be the only other time, but patches are usually optional (other than multiplayer)
after that you can play that certain game just offline without internet, making sure your internet connections are shutdown on your laptop.

ajuk

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
What size would most games be to download i cant seem to find the size if i was to buy them online. Things like arma3 far cry and like a fifa game. Amazon dont seem to say in the info of the games. Just worried if i was to use this 40gb internet it would be gone after i buy one game

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

These games can easily add up to 40GB
I would check steam and origin for these games size

VIPChristian

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

VIPChristian

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Hi nkhaira,
So the Z series is low end ?
I checked the graphics, it is a class II gpu ? I did notice something different about the i5 cpu the number describing it didnt look familar.
for less than 500, It would run better than what Im using now.
I have a toshiba Satellite S855D- S5120
HD Radeon 7660g

I will have to check out the ASUS, from what I have read ASUS is one of the better companies out there.
Asus G751jt (gtx970m)

Thank You for Posting

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I mean the Z50's are budget laptops with integrated graphics card and the one that has the nvidia card is pretty low end so when the Z50's are compared to something like the ASUS RoG series the Lenovo's are blown out
Yes ASUS when it comes to gaming laptops make up alot of the market
MSI is also another reputable gaming laptop manufacturer

The one laptop from Lenovo I can recommend for gaming it is around $800 is the Lenovo y50
Comes with a nice high end i7 paired with a mid range but pretty good for gaming still GTX860 2GB

ajuk

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
I was looking at some of the msi laptops but i think what made me favour the asus g751jt was the position of the fan vents as i would have this on my lap and on my bed all the time and have seen alot of posts about heat being a big problem with thin gaming laptops and causing them to crash due to overheating.

Is that an exaggeration or should i be still possibly get the msi equivalent to the asus?
I do like the lights on the keyboard of the msi :)

VIPChristian

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Thank You!

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

At the time I bought my MSI Laptop, the ASUS relative was like $200 more so I ended up buying the MSI
The MSI steelseries keyboard is very bright and customizable
If the MSI alternative is cheaper I would definitely go with it
I have my MSI sitting on my drawer with it hooked up to external mouse keyboard and monitor
so the fan vents are always looking down but it helps that there is a cusion on the bottom of the laptop so that the laptop does not sit right on top of the drawer.

I would advise even if you had the ASUS to put it on something other than your lap or blanket as im pretty sure this a hazard to potentially all laptops.

I love my MSI btw had it for about a year and Its running great

VIPChristian

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

I dont think I will buy another laptop, It never leaves my desk anyway, and If I put some time into a design build, I can upgrade later, Honestly though with malware and virus and all that other nonsense,kind of losing interest in the whole thing