PC vs Laptop

Dett27

Honorable
May 27, 2013
ok guy current setup is 750w corsair psu, i5 4670k, 8gb ram, gtx 970, and a bulky case. A sound gaming and editing pc in my opinion but heres the thing. I am looking to take my gaming and editing in a more mobile state in the form of a laptop. size of the laptop does not really matter but I prefer larger the better as I'll be close to an outlet most of the time but really want to most out of it. I'd prefer an i7 and a gpu that can pull some solid fps from current titles. i play the witcher 3 some (doesnt need to be ultra) and some csgo so i'd like to really get some bang out of it. any suggestions or comparable laptops to my current pc? thanks everyone

Solution
I personally would not recommend it. Your desktop processor will be decent for years to come. The same could be said for the laptop processor, but long before the processor becomes obsolete, your going to want to upgrade the graphics card. Easy to do in a desktop, near impossible in a laptop (even high-end laptops with slots for graphic cards).

A few years down the line, you're going to want to upgrade. If you stay with your desktop, you'll be fine. If you go with a laptop, you may be purchasing a new laptop around that time.

-Wolf sends
I personally would not recommend it. Your desktop processor will be decent for years to come. The same could be said for the laptop processor, but long before the processor becomes obsolete, your going to want to upgrade the graphics card. Easy to do in a desktop, near impossible in a laptop (even high-end laptops with slots for graphic cards).

A few years down the line, you're going to want to upgrade. If you stay with your desktop, you'll be fine. If you go with a laptop, you may be purchasing a new laptop around that time.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Sandstorm3000

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
What you are looking at is a laptop with atleast an i7 hyperthreaded quadcore, and anything from a GTX960m and above.

The i7 will have comparable performance to your i5. In games it will be somewhat equal and the rest doesn't really matter for you.

I don't know what country you live in but i can advice you either to look for a Lenovo Y50 laptop (you have last gen model with the i7 4720HQ but there also is an updated skylake model with the 6700HQ). It has a GTX960m which is not great but will run the games you listed. The reason is because it is fairly cheap compared to other laptops rocking the same specifications.

Otherwise i would advice you to go for either an Asus or MSI laptop. (With a GTX965M or higher) There also is a nice Asus model around with a 6700HQ, 960m and an SSD for a fair price.

Edit: If you are thinking about replacing your desktop for a laptop, don't.

If you are looking for a mobile GPU that is in the ballpark of a desktop GTX 970 performance, then you need to look at a laptop with at least GTX 970m SLI/ The GTX 980m would be a bit less powerful. There are also laptops with cherry picked desktop GTX 980 what uses less power than the average GTX 980 chips. I read the clockspeed is reduced by 5% - 10% to lower power consumption and heat output, but the GPU is still competitive against desktop GTX 980 GPUs.