PC Won't Boot into Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

solidterry

Great
Aug 5, 2019
Still getting the blank black screen. I made Windows Boot Manager the 1st disk priority in the BIOS and started Windows normally (not safe mode).

Aug 4, 2019
Ok, make the hard disk the first boot option and also take the battery out, disconnect the charger and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Now connect the charger only and start and tell me if you see windows logo.

solidterry

Great
Aug 5, 2019
Yes, do all that you just said
Okay, I removed the flash drive and I restarted the computer, making Windows Boot Manager the 1st Disk Priority in the BIOS (delete key) and the Please select boot device screen {F12 key). After choosing the Start Windows Normally option (not Safe Mode) I'm still getting a blank, black screen.

Aug 4, 2019
try #22 and if its still black, chose safe mode and see what happens.
If its black still, restart computer and keep on tapping F8 you will see advanced options. Choose Last Known Good Configuration and Enter.

solidterry

Great
Aug 5, 2019
Ok, make the hard disk the first boot option and also take the battery out, disconnect the charger and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Now connect the charger only and start and tell me if you see windows logo.
Note: My last message (#23) was sent before I saw your last message (#22). When you say disconnect the charger, do you mean unplug the computer?

Aug 4, 2019
bootmanager should be fine now but the registry are not, registry are the settings of your computer and other programs, and is very essential for a windows computer. So if its black screen its must be registries not working fine. Don't worry, that can be fixed too. Have patience.
Try Last Known Good Configuration, that will take registries back to the time when it was all okay. If that doesn't work, We can try restore from the safe mode or from the computer repair options.

solidterry

Great
Aug 5, 2019
bootmanager should be fine now but the registry are not, registry are the settings of your computer and other programs, and is very essential for a windows computer. So if its black screen its must be registries not working fine. Don't worry, that can be fixed too. Have patience.
Try Last Known Good Configuration, that will take registries back to the time when it was all okay. If that doesn't work, We can try restore from the safe mode or from the computer repair options.
Okay. Should I put the battery back in?

Aug 4, 2019
Go to that black screen again, following previous steps.
The last line will be x:\sources>
We now need to find our windows installation volume. To do that, first type in c: and press enter, the last line will change to c:\
Now type in dir and enter, you will see Date, Time, <DIR> and file name.
See if you can find a file by the name users and ProgramFiles. If you see Users file, type in
cd /Users
and enter, now see if you can find your username that is the one which you were using to login to the computer.
If you see your username type in
cd / and press enter, now type all those four commands again and press enter.

If you don't see those file names, type in D: and press after as we did with C:, and see if you can find users and programfiles, find your username if okay proceed with the four commands, if no, do F: this time.

If any confusion let me know.

Aug 4, 2019
Don't do anything that you aren't sure of, always ask. We are trying to get to the working windows with your data in it otherwise, I would have asked you to reset it to the factory default or format.

solidterry

Great
Aug 5, 2019
Don't do anything that you aren't sure of, always ask. We are trying to get to the working windows with your data in it otherwise, I would have asked you to reset it to the factory default or format.
I got your last 3 messages (#'s 33-35). This forum page doesn't seem to always refresh properly, causing some confusion when the latest messages aren't displayed. Anyway, thanks for your patient help so far -- greatly appreciated. I'm just confused as to whether I'm supposed to put the flash drive back into the USB port before following your instructions in 33-35.

Aug 4, 2019
Here is what we are trying to do again.
1-Insert the bootable windows USB(MBR ONLY) to the corrupted PC and BOOT from it.
2-On the Install Now screen we open CMD and type in those 4 commands.
3-But this time on CMD we will first follow #33 to find the right volume, once found we continue.

Those commands will fix MBR, and in order to get to the command line we making bootable usb in MBR, booting it and finding the volume where are windows is installed which is not loading, this the volume which you normally see as C drive when your computer works fine but here it can be C or D or F or E. So find the volume, execute the commands and reboot

solidterry

Great
Aug 5, 2019
Here is what we are trying to do again.
1-Insert the bootable windows USB(MBR ONLY) to the corrupted PC and BOOT from it.
2-On the Install Now screen we open CMD and type in those 4 commands.
3-But this time on CMD we will first follow #33 to find the right volume, once found we continue.

Those commands will fix MBR, and in order to get to the command line we making bootable usb in MBR, booting it and finding the volume where are windows is installed which is not loading, this the volume which you normally see as C drive when your computer works fine but here it can be C or D or F or E. So find the volume, execute the commands and reboot
Okay, so just to be 100% clear, when I get to the CMD screen and see the x:\sources> line, I should follow the instructions from #33 (type in c:, etc.), and I should do this before executing the four commands from earlier (bootrec /fixboot, etc). Is this correct?