Question PC won't output video through AV receiver to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2021
I recently built a new main PC for gaming and work, and decided to use my old pc as a HTPC. I'm running into an issue where the PC won't output video.

The pc (parts list) is running artix linux and is connected via HDMI to a Sony STR-DH590. The reciever is connected via hdmi to a Hisense 55H8G. Both hdmi cables are these ones.

The pc boots up fine when it's powered on already connected to a regular monitor. However when it's attached to the TV as described above, no video is outputted. Even if I turn on the PC connected to the receiver and TV and then connect it to a monitor, it still won't output video.

The only way that video seems to work is when the pc is booted when already connected to the monitor. If I do that, and then move the hdmi cable to the receiver, it works flawlessly (until I have to turn off the computer).

Any and all help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Feb 7, 2022
A suggestion that could work is maybe purchasing a port replicator. i'm not an expert, but purchasing a port replicator could help. my father uses a port replicator at work to connect his laptop to his dual monitors. If this doesn't work, then moving the HDMI cable to your receiver is just fine

The pc boots up fine when it's powered on already connected to a regular monitor. However when it's attached to the TV as described above, no video is outputted. Even if I turn on the PC connected to the receiver and TV and then connect it to a monitor, it still won't output video.

The only way that video seems to work is when the pc is booted when already connected to the monitor. If I do that, and then move the hdmi cable to the receiver, it works flawlessly (until I have to turn off the computer).
Sounds like a failed handshake issue. This is usually resolved by changing the order in which the components are powered on. Power up the HDTV and make sure it's on the correct input (HDMI 1 - ARC). Then power up the Sony receiver and then, finally, power up the PC.

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.