Pennsylvania's Wine Dispensing Vending Machines

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yes. It's specifically because of our draconian laws on alcohol that we have so much trouble here in the US. I mean, in the grand old US of A you can be shipped off to war and made to kill people and die for your country at the ripe old age of 17, but damned if you can smoke or drink at that age! Hell, you can't even VOTE, but you can take lives!

It's super-hypocritical.

Also, our history has really screwed things up. Prohibition in particular.

Just goes to show you how most conservative values end up hurting more than they help.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I think it varies, negative thoughts and reasons (real or not) are there, but it seems it was intended not to be based on those. instead promoting the better part of drinking wine and access it from the store. You might lose the pick it up bottle look it and check thing, but you might pick up the responsible part of drinking rather in good times or bad. Which in itself would probably be very testy with people. Cause about anywhere if your too drunk or intoxicated to take alcohol up places mention it. But it varies.
With that you gotta ask yourself how sensitive is the machine and will there always be someone on duty to work it?

It might just keep a few people off the road that shouldnt be, but then cause a few people to have scene before they get to a party or something too. People will still find ways around but the measures will be there.
So enjoy when you can!

gpsxsirus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
The reasons PA doesn't allow beer to be sold in grocery stores and this is OK is that in PA the liquor stores (which don't sell beer) are run by the state. Providing these machines in more convenient places such as a grocery store makes more money for the state. I live in PA and there have been times where I wanted alcohol but going to a liquor store was inconvenient so I went to a distributer and got beer instead.

Hopefully they'll put these in 24 hour grocery stores. Your party runs out of booze at 2AM send one of the designated drivers to the grocery store for some wine; party saved!

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This machine does seem stupid and cumbersome. I'd rather buy from a traditional store where I can physically pick up the bottles, read the labels, etc.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
at least in Texas, you can sell wine/beer in groceries (including walmart) and convienience stores. We don't need an expensive and complicated machine to get us the wine--we just take it off the shelf ourselves! I'm many other states are the same, too.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
In BC I have to go to a government liquor store or a government-licensed private liquor store. I wish I can simply buy them at the supermarket..

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
If outlawing alcohol won't work then making it more difficult to get probably will. Nobody needs alcoholic beverages. They have no nutritional value. Any claims to the contrary are false.

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Living in Denmark this seems like overkill - this systems seems to assume that you are not fit to decide whether or not you should drink AND that the clerk at the supermarket is not capable of identifying if you are above legal drinking age.. Seriously, I buy alcohol drunk - don't be a buzzkill!

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The alcohol laws are really annoying in PA. Up until this year, only restaurants/ bars, beer distributors, and liquor stores had alcohol that you could purchase. Also, you could only buy beer in cases from a beer distributor. You could not buy a six-pack unless you went to a restaurant/ bar that had six packs for sale, which aren't too plentiful in the state. The first grocery store in PA I've ever seen that has beer is a brand-new Giant Eagle Market District in Pittsburgh.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Laws about the sale of alcoholic beverages are one thing, but when you start seeing the product change (3-2 beer anyone?), that's really a problem IMO.

G

I just moved back to PA after 7 years in NC where it is much more convenient to find the beer and wine in the grocery store in the same place I'm doing the rest of my shopping. I think state stores and beer distributors are outdated and pointless. It's inconvenient to have to make several different trips and waste gas doing so. So, if the grocery stores aren't allowed to carry wine and beer... I guess vending machines are better than nothing.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]I mean, in the grand old US of A you can be shipped off to war and made to kill people and die for your country at the ripe old age of 17, but damned if you can smoke or drink at that age![/citation]
The U.S.A. has an all volunteer military. Nobody is shipped off unless they first agree to it as a possibility when they sign up.

G

I DONT MIND PURCHASING THROUGH A VENDING MACHINE BUT TO BLOW INTO A STRAW IS IRDICULOUS. ISN'T A VENDING MACHINE FOR THE CONVENIENCE...WHAT'S THIS, AFTER A CERTAIN TIME THE MECHINE SHUTS OFF. I CAN SEE THIS IN A RESTAURANT AND SWIPING MT DRIVERS LICENSE AND IMPLEMENTING A THUMB PRINT TO PROVE YOU ARE THE PERSON IN FRONT OF THE MACHINE AND THAT YOU ARE OF AGE. I FOR ONE AM FOR IT. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THERE ARE 5,000 OF THESE MACHINES AROUND. IS THE GUY FORM THE PLCB GOING TO VERIFY EVERYONE ACCURATLY? NOTHING BEATS YOUR BIOMETRIC ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.