Phenom ii x 2 555 BE unlock

AndreasSGt

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hi People
Iam a bit of confused so here is my problem . I ve recently set up a new pc with a Gigabyte 790-fxta ud5 and phenom ii x 2 555 be. My prob is that when i try to unlock the 2 extra cores although in the next boot up it shows correctly 4 cores pc freezes at windows loading screen all the time ive tried many many many combinations including 3 cores unlock overvoltage cpu etc but problem still persists, note here that i have updated to the last bios. So i thought ok probably my version of CPU is not unlockable BUT then i tried to boot up from ubuntu live cd and guess what system boots normally and from the hardware monitor of ubuntu all 4 cores work perfect!!! Is there any chance that any other hardware cause instability like RAM (OCZ ddr3 2x1 gb dual ch 1333) or HDD or something else?
Any idea would be helpful thanks in advance.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Not all Phenom II 555s unlock, and among those which do unlock, not all of them are stable.Since you've already tried and had issues, there is no point in trying further.

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Run the Linux version of Prime95 under Ubuntu while unlocked. If it is stable there, your CPU cores are OK, you have to look at other items, such as PCIe, northbridge, and disk controller settings.

At an extreme you could reinstall Windows while unlocked, and see what point (if any) lockups occur, especially as you add drivers to the base install.

AndreasSGt

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
thanks for reply my friend ive already run prime95 under ubuntu and everything is ok without error but even when i try to format and reinstall win7 same problem persists after the screen "windows is loading files" it gets stuck.... ..i wish it hadn't worked in ubuntu so i would have o conclusion now iam a bit confused of what the problem may be.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
interesting case you have there :| windows don't like strain on itself so maybe its just giving up? not a window user so i cant help you there. Don't supposed you tryed to unlock Cash or OC'ed have you?

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
i had the same problem with my 555, although mine worked for a week @quad- hard locked in windows - then would freeze on windows startup screen (XP pro 32bit sp4)

however, i later updated the bios with only 2 active cores, bumped voltage slightly and tried unlocking again..and its been fine for a couple months at ~4ghz.

it defies explenation.

AndreasSGt

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for all answers gyus yes its very weird situation till now theres one new bios firmware at this motherboard (f3j)which ive already updated but with no solution , ive also sent email to gigabyte to let me know if its a known issue ill be back with news :)