Phone Battery drains even when completely off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lithium43

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Every morning I fully charge my phone before I get ready to go out and then I use it during the car ride to school. It usually has about 80-90 percent battery life left when I'm done. Then I turn it completely off and when school is over I use it again and it's battery life is normally where I left it. However, last Friday when I turned it back on it has 3 percent battery life. I dismissed it thinking it could just be some freak accident or something like that. Then again today I had the same problem when I turned it on, but it had 1 percent battery life left this time and it immediately shut off. The phone is draining battery life even when its off, whats going on? I scanned my phone with AVG for viruses and it came up negative so its not anything like that.

I recently read a thread talking about how certain apps can prevent your phone from fully shutting down even when you think it is off and thus drain your battery life. Is this legitimate? Because on Thursday night I installed quite a few apps and one of them might have caused the problem that I had on Friday and continued to have today. Is that what the problem is? One of the apps? I could easily go back to my list of things downloaded on last Thursday and delete the corresponding apps if that is the case.

Solution
It could be that or it could be that your battery is just toast. Try this experiment one day that you don't need your phone. Charge the battery fully. Take it out of the phone. At the end of the day put it back in the phone see if it has a charge left. If it doesn't the battery is done. If it does then your phones is indeed sucking power from the battery while supposedly off.

jnkweaver

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
It could be that or it could be that your battery is just toast. Try this experiment one day that you don't need your phone. Charge the battery fully. Take it out of the phone. At the end of the day put it back in the phone see if it has a charge left. If it doesn't the battery is done. If it does then your phones is indeed sucking power from the battery while supposedly off.

Solution

Lithium43

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Wow, that is a good idea, thank you! I don't think the battery is toast, I just got the phone recently, but that is a definite way to find out for sure. Thanks, there is my solution!

stagfox732

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
What has happened is that your battery is reaching the maximum amount of charges... basically if it is on or off... it is going to drain... a way that you can confirm this is by bringing your phone to a complete charge, then taking the battery out of the phone without turning it off first, and then putting the battery back in and turning it on... If it now displays a MUCH lower amount.... for example you did this and it went from 100% to below 70, than your battery is definitely on its way out... by the way, this is simply a way of checking the (REAL) charge on your battery, if it is somewhere around 75 or 80%... than your battery is still in moderate condition. reasoning for this is that with lithium polymer ion batteries, while they can store a rather lafge amount of power, but each battery can only be charged so many times.

MaryAnneR

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
I have the same problem and it has happened since I put a new screen in the Blackberry.
I tried 3 different batteries and it drains them all when turned off.Two of the batteries are new.
I checked settings and turned off wifi and data. It still drains.
I returned it to the repair shop and they see it hold a charge for a few hours so deny there is an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.