Phone Books Going Extinct, Finally

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Phone books, and unwanted newspapers that I did not subscribe to...oddly enough the newspapers are full of ads for green companies...

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I havent used one a physcial one in god knows how long but I carry a virtual one with me every day (yellow pages app for android :D ). At my college house we had one delivered and it just sat on the porch for months until someone finally threw it away, I'm glad theyre doing away with them!

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
if you don't have quick access to Google you're just lot living in the 21st century. Make it all opt-in only and save some damn trees.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]I still use mine too. It's still quicker than using the internet to find numbers for local businesses.I still have a land line phone too.[/citation]

not me...high speed internet, type name of business in search engine and i get instantaneous results.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
funny, i was just talking to my wife about this when we got another yellow pages the other day. i keep it just in case this pc, my wifes pc and my 2 old rigs happen to fail at the same time. i don't have a cell phone that has access to the internet...i spend all my money on pcs, pc peripherals, games and home theater. so i have to hang on to these monstrosities just in case

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have a phone book, it covers the 20 closest places to where i live. granted i never use it to look people up but i do use the yellow pages.i honestly cant imagine a world without yellow pages, and some physical means of looking crap like this up, because electronics die, and some point, they always do. if my computer died, i would need the yellow pages to look up at the very least a place to fix it. because no mater how compatant i am, i cant diagnose a mother board fail, cpu fail, ram fail or graphics card fail without some means of display.[/citation]
In this day and age, I'm almost sure you have some form of a smart phone, that you can still access information from. am I right, huh!, am I? :)

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Yellow Book needs to stop their madness. I already get three different phone books from different telco's. The last thing I need is another one. It ends up straight into the recycle bin.

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
The Yellow Pages also need to stop being printed and sent out. The stack that is delivered to my apartment building in NYC sits in the lobby for about a month before the superintendent puts them out front for trash pickup. We get one book per apt and most people in the building don't even have land lines. What a waste.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]tmax[/nom]The Yellow Pages also need to stop being printed and sent out. The stack that is delivered to my apartment building in NYC sits in the lobby for about a month before the superintendent puts them out front for trash pickup. We get one book per apt and most people in the building don't even have land lines. What a waste.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly. The same goes for our local free newspaper. There is a perpetual stack that gets topped off daily by the delivery guy. Even so often the building manager gets a shovel and loads them into the trash. Since they're left outside, they're usually too waterlogged/rotten to recycle by then.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I live in Silicon Valley and I get about 4 Phone books a year still! lol They are smaller but damn...4!?! I don't even ask for them and forced to have them thrown at my house.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Thank g*d, I keep getting them put on my doorstep but they just go directly into recycling. They are a waist of time and money. They really need to stop printing them!

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The Yellow Pages are still useful to older people, and I used one a couple of years ago during a power outage, but the white pages seemed pointless even back in the day. Why would you need to call people you don't already know?

I still get a phone book because every time I try to look up a person's phone number on line I am deluged with ads and offered the information I wanted for the low price of $2.97 per month when I join up.

G

I haven't used White Pages *or* Yellow Pages for years.

Google Maps is the new Yellow Pages for me. I can look for all sorts of stores, restaurants etc and I get to see them nicely marked on a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.